Snowshoe Racing - shortcut to superfitness?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
Skiing some of the XC trails around King Pine in East Madison, NH last Saturday, I happened upon 89 snowshoers about to burst forth on a 5-mile race that followed those trails for a bit before heading off onto some steeper, narrower snowshoe-only trails through the woods. I got out of there before they could trample me and wondered what it was - there have been XC races there for years but this was a first.

I got my answer in this article in today's Boston Globe. That was the Pooh Hill Scramble, part of a 9-race series of such races in NH that is in its second year. Views member KTilton came in 4th and he is quoted at the start of the article.

This made me think of the fitness threads. The only outdoor activity I know that can elevate my heart rate as quickly as a cardio machine in a gym is snowshoeing as fast as I can, and snowshoeing blows any gym away for beauty, solitude (except when racing 88 or more others), fresh air and price (once you've capitalized the cost of your shoes).

Snowshoe races I've read about in the past have been supermarathons - 50 milers and such I would never think of trying. If races at distances like 5 miles are proliferating, that could motivate many of us, including non-Winter Listers, to get out there with lighter packs on lower trails and crank it up. Even if you never enter one, training as if you might would guarantee better fitness.

A friend of mine got a pair of Dion running snowshoes for his birthday. He is a hard core runner and wants to try his hand at snowshoe racing. Apparently there is a minimum surface area required and these were designed to within a percent of the regs. The bindings were pretty good, but I wasnt impressed with how the heel crampons were attached (pop rivets). Other than that they looked like a nice pair of lightweight shoes for hiking on packed trails.

it's a hell of a workout thats for sure. ran out to owls head and back two thursdays ago on my new crescent moons. give it a shot.:)

Farmer...

Did you use the Crescent Moons for the entire 48 speed record? I'm wondering how well they worked in the Whites? I know all about how great the bindings are but I was unsure as to how rugged they would be in these mountains. Which model do you have?

FWIW there was recently a snowshoe race in Salem, MA that, according to the newspaper, was the largest in New England this winter at over 100 participants. This was the first running of this particular race. Also, I believe there is one annually at the Atkinson Country Club in Atkinson, NH. And apparently several others in NH according to previous posts. It seems to be a growing sport. I've never done one, but it seems that it would be great fun and a great workout.

A friend of mine got a pair of Dion running snowshoes for his birthday. He is a hard core runner and wants to try his hand at snowshoe racing. Apparently there is a minimum surface area required and these were designed to within a percent of the regs. The bindings were pretty good, but I wasnt impressed with how the heel crampons were attached (pop rivets). Other than that they looked like a nice pair of lightweight shoes for hiking on packed trails.

I use "racing" snowshoes for general hiking, but I use a pair of Northern Lites (with the rivets replaced). I looked at the Dions now and they will be under consideration if my NLs die (3 winters and counting!).. I think the racing snowshoes work great for me but then I'm fairly lightweight.

Jay

Friend and hiking partner, Gary, almost 71, participates in these (with Dions) every weekend. He says they're a blast. Of course, he wins his age category every time but is competitive in the lower ones as well.