Solar Chargers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
I'm looking at this website and am wondering what you folks' experiences have been with these.

Good brands? Which models, etc??

I'm going to be hiking the Long Trail in a few weeks and would like to keep a camera going for the trip. And whatever other electronics I may deem fit, Ipod, phone, etc...

Unless you're willing to redirect the solar panel each time the sun moves, in direct sunlight for hours on end, it's not going to do the job.
Don't buy into the marketing of these products. The tech for this type of product is not there yet.

DaveG.

Sure seems that way, not many positive reviews around the web. With most of the positive reviews coming from users who have precharged some of the Brunton models before hand on a computer or car charger.

Last edited:
Last summer I bought one of those small radios which is powered either by a cranking it, or using the solar cell to recharge the battery. The crank worked, but the solar cell didn't.

I returned the unit to REI.

I'm a big fan of solar - currently generate most of my household power with them - but this type of application just isn't there yet.

solar panels

I purchased the Restore model that Brunton makes. They tell you that you must charge the unit fully before using it. I've only used it on a cell phone, to recharge. It worked fine. I've used it once as alternate power source for my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS. That unit has the rechargeable batteries that Garmin sells for the unit. It won't Recharge the batteries but it will give you power. That was nice to have as an emergency back-up for the unit. Simply, put, I am satisfied with the unit, it is what it is.

I think for my camera and a longish trip I'd buy a couple of batteries and charge them fully. It also might be feasible to drop off the trail and plug in at a store or something, which is what I've done when sailing. To keep my phone and IPod charged up on sailing trips, I have an I-Go system with recharger component that is light and uses two AA batteries. It's been a little investment in tips for the different products, but I've found sources that are less expensive that what Radio Shack sells them for.

I met someone doing the LT this summer who had brought a solar charger - he found it totally impractical - he had very little time to give it enough sun to do anything. If you are in the practice of taking long breaks in the middle of the day - you might be able to actually do some recharging if the weather cooperated. I know it would not work for the way I hike.

A good solar charger would more likely work for a longer term base camp set up. My sister found one to be useful when she was in the Peace Corps in Honduras and off the grid.

I met someone doing the LT this summer who had brought a solar charger - he found it totally impractical - he had very little time to give it enough sun to do anything. If you are in the practice of taking long breaks in the middle of the day - you might be able to actually do some recharging if the weather cooperated. I know it would not work for the way I hike.

A good solar charger would more likely work for a longer term base camp set up. My sister found one to be useful when she was in the Peace Corps in Honduras and off the grid.
Hike at night, sleep and charge during the day... :)

A past thread which may be of interest: "Recharging batteries with solar panel in winter?" http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17763

Doug

Last edited:
I was given one of these as a gift a few months ago, and I have yet to use it, for the same reason as most people give in this thread. The only scenario I can think of that it would be useful is if you set up basecamp somewhere and then went off dayhiking while it was charging.

Timely discussion...

Just bought the Garmin Oregon...used it on our Bonds trip this past weekend...had some nice Li AA batteries, and two sets of rechargable AA (that I use for my camera and have had no problem with...they will keep my camera charged for several day trips before requiring recharging).

However...the Garmin started having low battery issues about 3/4 of the way through the first day...and was almost done with the last set of batteries (camera was not in use...so didn't need the batteries) by 3/4 through day 2 (last day). I was a bit upset with this battery usage issue with the garmin. Asked at L.L. Beans what the issue might be...and they said that the batteries I have are the best for it...but..how about this $90 solar charger...

Glad I didn't get it...doesn't sound all that useful. i'll just get several sets of batteries and my two rechargables...that should do me for the camera and garmin for a 1 - 2 night overnight backpacking trip.

I don't use GPS for navigating (map and compass; no batteries :) ). But I have a Garmin Etrex H, which I bought solely for the purpose of recording waypoints so GPS-using friends could find the same location I had visited (cliff, waterfall, etc.). It goes through batteries fast. I keep it off when I'm carrying it. At a location, I will turn it on, wait for it to find itself, mark a waypoint, and then turn it off. After a few days of doing this 4 or 5 times in a day, the batteries are shot, even though the total operating time has been only maybe an hour. I don't know whether it has some kind of "start up surge" that uses extra power, or whether it has a current drain, or whether it's just a poor design, but it seems to me the batteries should last longer then that.

I don't use GPS for navigating (map and compass; no batteries :) ). But I have a Garmin Etrex H, which I bought solely for the purpose of recording waypoints so GPS-using friends could find the same location I had visited (cliff, waterfall, etc.). It goes through batteries fast. I keep it off when I'm carrying it. At a location, I will turn it on, wait for it to find itself, mark a waypoint, and then turn it off. After a few days of doing this 4 or 5 times in a day, the batteries are shot, even though the total operating time has been only maybe an hour. I don't know whether it has some kind of "start up surge" that uses extra power, or whether it has a current drain, or whether it's just a poor design, but it seems to me the batteries should last longer then that.

Interesting...that's what the guy at LLBean thought...don't leave it on all the time (which I did). BUT!! one of the reasons I purchased it is for the STATS that it gives...odometer, time in motion, average MPH, altitude gained, etc. There are lots of neat stats that this unit will give you...but, you have to keep it ON for it to keep recording these stats...BUMMER!!

Timely discussion...

Just bought the Garmin Oregon...used it on our Bonds trip this past weekend...had some nice Li AA batteries, and two sets of rechargable AA (that I use for my camera and have had no problem with...they will keep my camera charged for several day trips before requiring recharging).

However...the Garmin started having low battery issues about 3/4 of the way through the first day...and was almost done with the last set of batteries (camera was not in use...so didn't need the batteries) by 3/4 through day 2 (last day). I was a bit upset with this battery usage issue with the garmin. Asked at L.L. Beans what the issue might be...and they said that the batteries I have are the best for it...but..how about this $90 solar charger...

Glad I didn't get it...doesn't sound all that useful. i'll just get several sets of batteries and my two rechargables...that should do me for the camera and garmin for a 1 - 2 night overnight backpacking trip.

Just some thoughts. Unless I am actually mapping the trail. The GPS is mostly off. What the GPS excels at is marking way-points and making routes. But, what I really like to use it for and teach the use of it is as follow. If you mark a waypoint that is your destination in the GPS, the GPS can give you a very accurate heading and distance. Turn it off, put it away and use your compass and pace or terrain navigation to get where you are going. If you want, check progress by turning it on every now and then and making any mid course corrections you might need. Best of both worlds. GPS batteries last forever, you get to play and familiarize yourself with your high tech toy, still keep your orienteering/map/terrain nav skills up to snuff.

Oh, and you can check into lithium batteries for longer life, but expect to pay a premium. Most if not all of the current GPS units can use them.

Just my $.02,
Keith

Last edited:
Oh, and you can check into lithium batteries for longer life, but expect to pay a premium.
Not all GPSes will take lithiums and some will only take them if you burn the initial high voltage spike off (by using them in a flashlight for a few minutes).

I normally use NiMH batteries in my GPS (60CSx) and have no problem getting a full hiking day's usage out of a set.

FWIW, backlights consume extra power. Some internal compasses do too.

Doug

Not all GPSes will take lithiums and some will only take them if you burn the initial high voltage spike off (by using them in a flashlight for a few minutes).

I normally use NiMH batteries in my GPS (60CSx) and have no problem getting a full hiking day's usage out of a set.

FWIW, backlights consume extra power. Some internal compasses do too.

Doug

Its easy to check. Most GPS units will have an entry for the battery type under the setup/config. To use the correct discharge curve to display the correct battery life left.

Also use of WAAS and an atmospheric barometer for altitude can cause rapid depletion of the batteries.

Keith

Last edited:
On the topic of batteries - based upon a thread about battery chargers from a few months ago, I bought several Sanyo Eneloop batteries in AA and AAA and have been extremely satisfied with them. Unlike my previous NiMH batteries, this latest generation don't (for practical purposes) lose their charge during non-use. I estimate they last about 30% longer than my other batteries (Kodak) even though the milli-amp rating is about the same.

Its easy to check. Most GPS units will have an entry for the battery type under the setup/config. To use the correct discharge curve for battery life.
Setting the battery type affects only the battery life indicator (ie changes the meter calibration), but not the battery life. My GPSes (2 cells) cut out when the voltage drops to 2V (a good cutoff for alkaline, lithium, NiCad, and NiMH cells).

Also use of WAAS and an atmospheric barometer for altitude can cause rapid depletion of the batteries.
WAAS is effectively just another satellite, but it is low on the horizon and easily blocked by terrain. I haven't compared the current draw with and without WAAS.

It is my understanding that the barometer consumes a negligible amount of power. FWIW, Garmin publishes the same battery lifetimes for the the 60Cx (no barometer) and the 60CSx (with barometer).

I have measured the current drawn by several GPSes under several different operating conditions. For the 60CSx:
Code:
norm                      100 ma
norm + light 100%         270 ma
norm + compass            100 ma
norm=norm mode, no WAAS.
(The compass does draw additional current in the 60CS and eTrex Vista according to my measurements.)

100ma is consistent with Garmin's rating of up to 18hrs (with alkalines).

Doug

On the topic of batteries - based upon a thread about battery chargers from a few months ago, I bought several Sanyo Eneloop batteries in AA and AAA and have been extremely satisfied with them. Unlike my previous NiMH batteries, this latest generation don't (for practical purposes) lose their charge during non-use. I estimate they last about 30% longer than my other batteries (Kodak) even though the milli-amp rating is about the same.
A number of the recent (regular) NiMH AA cells are rated 2500-2700 mAh and the Sanyo Eneloops are rated 2000 mAh. (My Eneloops measure at 2000 mAh and my 2600 mAh-rated regular cells measure 2500 mAh at 500ma discharge current.) I top-off the charge of the regular cells the day before hiking and have had no trouble getting a day's use out of them in my GPS. I also get a day's use out of my Eneloops, but of course don't need to top-off the charge before use. (I haven't tried to measure the maximum battery life in my GPS for either.)

(FWIW, I charge my regular NiMH cells after use and depending upon how long they have been sitting and my intended use, I may top them off before use.)

Doug