Stick Season in SE New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I was back with the family during the holiday, and since I'm putting on weight rapidly, I decided to take a few short walks around the area. One was in Chester and the other was in Auburn at the Audubon Center. First I'll show the Chester walk.

It was on Thanksgiving, and before the turkey was ready, I took a small walk. The trail was created by an Eagle Scout from town many years ago. The trail isn't the prettiest I walked along, just typical southern NH woods, in the middle of stick season. Still, there is a certain charm to it, probably because I was back in my home town.

Dead pines make for interesting pics

Looks like a vernal pool

On the way back, I walked thru the local cemetery, which is a state historical area.

There are some old gravestones in there, though many have been fixed up, so you can read them again. The oldest one I saw dated 1749.

Then, it was on to eat turkey!! More pics in a minute.

grouseking

Audubon Center on Saturday, 11/29

Saturday my friend and I took a walk along the trails at the Audubon Center in Auburn. The trails are near Lake Massabesic, which is where Manchester gets its drinking water.

Barred Owl at the start.

Lake Massabesic

Almost back, fading light at like 2:30pm

No big mtns, just a good walk around the local trails. I never tire of Lake Massabesic.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/569011666tEbjUQ

grouseking

Great report, and nice pics of this oft unphotogenic season.

I agree with you about Massabesic, as Lake Massabesic and Pawtuckaway keep me sane in SoNH. There are so many trails there, and I've explored so few, but loved what I have. There is a nice hike on the Northeastern part of the lake to a ledgy overlook that is really impressive. I should go back there, if only I could remember where the trailhead is.

Isn't there a massabesic map somewhere?

I have a Massabesic map. Can't remember where I picked it up -- probably EMS, but maybe the Audubon store there at the lake. I'll try to look it up when I get home today and post more tomorrow, unless someone else does.

It was on Thanksgiving, and before the turkey was ready, I took a small walk. The trail was created by an Eagle Scout from town many years ago. The trail isn't the prettiest I walked along, just typical southern NH woods, in the middle of stick season. Still, there is a certain charm to it, probably because I was back in my home town.

Good post and nice pics. I love those little local trails. There is a certain charm to them, whether back in the old home town, or near my present home. Something about the familiar, when you take time to appreciate it. Old cemeteries are great...those old head stones to look at and usually lots of big trees. Thanks for the post.

BTW, I love stick season. You get to see so much more of the woods!

Stick Season in SE New Hampshire

Never heard it referred to as Stick season?:confused: When I saw the thread title I started thinking things like:

Is it better to wear blaze orange or green during Stick season?
Is there a Big Stick Season?
What's the daily bag limit on sticks during said season?

That was just from the time I saw the name until I started reading.:)

. There is a nice hike on the Northeastern part of the lake to a ledgy overlook that is really impressive. I should go back there, if only I could remember where the trailhead is.

Isn't there a massabesic map somewhere?

I think I know where you're talking about. I hiked it on an even less photogenic day than this past weekend, in early April of 06. Somewhere I have some pics of when I went up there with my Dad, and he has better shots, on a clear day.

The thing I remember most about this hike was the 70 degree weather, and beating a nasty thunderstorm home.

grouseking

Great photos of what I often call the "bleak season". Stick season works just as well, maybe better as your photos are not at all bleak. :cool:

Thanks! I did my best....I try to take pictures with water in them..that tends to help the photos along, and you need to have some blue skies. Or else the day is shot. I have a foliage setting on my camera, and with a flash, that also helps things along a little. And for some reason, the "beaches" setting gives some of the pics a certain glow to them.

grouseking

Nice stuff!

Chester is only a couple of towns over from us in Kingston. Lots of great places to explore here in Southeastern NH. Massabesic is always a good destination when we can't get up north.

KDT

Chester is only a couple of towns over from us in Kingston. Lots of great places to explore here in Southeastern NH. Massabesic is always a good destination when we can't get up north.

KDT

It's especially pretty after a fresh snowfall blankets the trees, and there is a deep blue sky. Can't wait!!

grouseking

I have a Massabesic map. Can't remember where I picked it up -- probably EMS, but maybe the Audubon store there at the lake. I'll try to look it up when I get home today and post more tomorrow, unless someone else does.

eruggles--Did you ever figure out where you got your Massabesic map? Thanks.

I thought there was a sudden plague of those walking stick insects. Kinda like locusts. That woulda been cool.
Speaking of sudden happenings. Are animal crackers invading the avatars of the women of VFTT? Kinda like a sudden Invasion of the Body Snatchers. No doubt animal crackers are more healthy than those cheese puffs that were invading the Katahdin sign thread a short time ago. :D Now I am getting hungry.

Speaking of sudden happenings. Are animal crackers invading the avatars of the women of VFTT? Kinda like a sudden Invasion of the Body Snatchers. No doubt animal crackers are more healthy than those cheese puffs that were invading the Katahdin sign thread a short time ago. :D Now I am getting hungry.

Thread drift...can vegetarians eat animal crackers? :confused: