Successful Scar Summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
Would you let your child head off into the woods all day long with four strangers they 'met' on the internet??? No, but that is what I did on Saturday, November 1. I had been thinking about trying to summit West West Scar, after reaching West/East and the cannister two years ago. I saw an open call on RoT from Bigfoot for Scar, and then got an email from someone on Carl Rosenthal's Wednesday hiking group asking for company on a hike to Scar. We put two and two and one together and met at Loon Mountain at 8am: Bigfoot, Whichway, Mad Doc (that's Bob) and Good Nite (as in Irene), and me, Jabberwalk.

Mad Doc and Good Nite had found the herd path to Black Mountain twice before, but had to turn around because of weather, fatigue, and the thick stuff. I had gotten some good advice from Jason B, Michaelj, Amicus, and Marc which helped a lot. As reported the access to the herd path is about half way between the summit sign on N. Loon, and the cable post. Bigfoot counted 80 paces up to the sign at the top. A few large birches seem to guard the entrance.

It was smooth going along the herd path. We began our bushwack at a fairly level area, just before the path turned north. (However, on the return trip we were closer to the ridgeline and entered the path closer to Loon.) The advice to stay to the north of the ridge proved very helpful. This bushwack is not easy and a bit disconcerting since you have to traverse quite a ways as opposed to really climbing up, which is what feels more appropriate. We were well below the ridgeline, and moving pretty well. When we saw the ridgeline turn to the east, then we climbed up toward the high spot, and spotted the cannister without much trouble.

We arrived at the top at about 12:30 without too many scars or bruises - that was reserved for the return trip! Great surprise that two other hikers had just left the top! I can't remember their names but maybe Whichway took a photo and will chime in. They came up from Tripoli and Little East Pond, and reported that it was an easy climb. Personally I don't believe them! However, they did arrive at 12:10, but did not linger long to enjoy the cool temps on top.

We made a slight navigational error on the return trip by keeping too far to the north and not heading far enough west to the edge of the ridgeline. We could see the steep ledges and crossed as small stream, which gave a clue to where we ought not to be. Soon this was corrected and it was smooth sailing once we got to the edge of the ridge. We popped out onto the herd path closer to Loon, but still about .5 mile from the ski area.

The hike down the slopes and the tote road seemed endless to me - I needed something on my fee besides hiking boots. Back to the cars by 4pm all 5 accounted for. This was definitely a joint effort: Bigfoot has terrific map skills, Mad Doc helped us locate the herd path and keep to the compass bearing, and I managed to put together a good assortment of tips from VFFT friends.

I have never done photos, but will try. . .

Congratulations - all NEHH-baggers are happy to have Scar Ridge in the bag, but better yet to actually make it a fun hike with views, which the Loon approach certainly gives you on a clear day.

Incidentally, for those who may be looking ahead to the NE3K as a logical successor to the NEHH, the summit of Loon North, on that list, can be reached by a herd-path from the nearly flat trail that heads west from the "Loon North" chair to the next chair.

We looked around briefly for the path to the north Loon summit, but it was darned cold at the top of the lift and we had had a long day. Left for another adventure!

We looked around briefly for the path to the north Loon summit, but it was darned cold at the top of the lift and we had had a long day. Left for another adventure!

In that case, let me recommend a loop that includes also Loon Middle and its Observation Tower. That's at the top of the Gondola lift, and from Loon North you get there by following that flattish Sunset Trail, from which the herd-path to the summit of Loon North leaves. The views fom the Tower are so good that Brent Scudder has included this peak in his White Mountain Viewing Guide

And if you want to do a really nice "Tour de Loon," head over to Loon Pond, starting below the bottom of the Sunset Trail which is the uppermost westernmost ski trail of the main area and has an island of vegetation on it which you can see from most anywhere. You can actually walk down to Lincoln on an old road from there.

nice report! I'm glad you had a nice trip. I'm glad you were able to find the open woods. Wasn't the summit area nice? It reminded me of the woods in the Kilkenny Range. The views from Loon are spectacular! I didn't know it was in Scudder...I'll have to go look and see if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.;)

Did you end up coming to the summit on the herd path that comes to the cannister from the north?

Jason, Yes, from the north west. . . . The compass reading was just about 140. We did find a herd path near the top that led to the open woods, and we just seemed to go straight and banged into the cannister. A Disney moment!

hmmmm.:eek: we discussed taking that on the way down, but it just seemed so wrong to go north when we wanted to end up to our west....:eek: I didn't do a compass reading from there....It sounds like it wasn't as far off the desired direction as I thought.
lesson learned.

hmmmm.:eek: we discussed taking that on the way down, but it just seemed so wrong to go north when we wanted to end up to our west....:eek: I didn't do a compass reading from there....It sounds like it wasn't as far off the desired direction as I thought.
lesson learned.

Lesson learned indeed. Admittedly, I took a compass reading and felt that path went too northerly. :eek:

Anyway...fantastic TR. Nice job polishing off W. Scar.:cool:

Best regarrds,
Marty

Last edited:
I'm sitting here with one of the two other guys, who was trying to describe the people he ran into to me.....

One is named Mike.....he's not on views, but knows I am. The views gang may eventually catch him out on a VFTT hike if we can put together an acceptable Owls Head date for this winter. I can tell you he pretty much speaks the truth (mostly)...

Nif

PS - They wanted me to note that they found a water bottle on the way out. PM me if it belongs to any of you guys.

Last edited: