Sunday Globe article on the many rescues this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blacknblue said:
You must know a different everyone than me. I've been to the San Juans a number of times and have friends in Durango, Silverton, and Telluride, and I don't know of anyone who has ever bought rescue insurance.
bcskier may be thinking of the CORSAR card, which is often confused with backcountry insurance.

jniehof said:
bcskier may be thinking of the CORSAR card, which is often confused with backcountry insurance.
CORSAR (Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue) seems like a great idea, and a way to make a contribution to SAR groups to help offset their expenses. Maybe NH should consider such a system.

[/QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy
One last point, I don't think we can compare paying for rescues in the mountains to treating people who eat all the wrong things and don't exercise. Other people's lives are placed in grave danger trying to save your bacon on a rescue, medical personnel are not risking life and limb treating your heart disease, etc.

blacknblue said:
True, but one of the main reasons that the negligence debate is gaining steam in the NH legislature is because they want to make it easier to charge people for their rescue, not to reduce the risk to SAR. So, in the context of costs passed on to taxpayers, it's a fair comparison.

REPLY:

I think the two are quite interconnected. Having the knowledge that you have to pay a hefty fine just might deter some individuals (definitely not all) from behaving in a negligent manner, thus reducing the need for so many rescues.
The article really described in great detail how dangerous these missions are to the rescuers. Money often talks when nothing else does, especially if you know you won't be driving any time soon if you don't pay up!

Thanks for putting up info on the CORSAR card. My son is a Colorado resident and avid mountain biker. He was rescued in November after a fall in the backcountry that resulted in compression fractures in his back. While the card doesn't pay for any medical rescue, it does show support and some reimbursement for the people who help make rescuing others possible. I'm going to purchase a card for him. It costs $12 for five years. Not that I want to have to pay more fees here and there...