The carbon footprint of hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmus said:
How many actually died from wearing cotton ??
Hee... while cleaning out my mom's house this weekend I found a photo album with pics from the early 80's of mostly mom and me hiking in NH. In a lot of them - even in winter - I was wearing <gasp> jeans!

Some artificial fibers are a great boon, but there is nothing like cotton and wool to teach a hiker how to properly manage their layers.

As Americans (yes, you Kanadians aren't getting off easy on this one ;) ) we are guilty of being the most conspicuous consumers this earth has ever seen. Yes, we have to change. Individually having a "holier than thou" attitude is probably the worst thing that we can do. Why? Are you just trying to make yourself feel better? It's obvious that every one of us is better at conservation than someone else.

Tim: not trying to get in a pissing contest here, but while you are telling all of us how wonderful you are with doing your best to reduce your carbon footprint (I "get" the implication that you are way better than any of us in this, thank you), you are doing it while typing on a PC: arguably one of the worst envonmental friendly device ever invented. (Rather odd that it is called a "PC" :rolleyes: ). I'm not perfect, and I'll be the first to say so. Of course, I believe that I am better at conservation in some things than others, but I'm not going to tell everyone here that I am. I'll just do what little I can, quietly, and go on with my business. Yes, I feel godd about what I have done, and guilty from knowing I can do more.

Here's a good one: I have a cabin in Maine. Is it better to drive there for the weekend and then park my car or to stay home doing countless short trips, watching the big screen, and running the A/C (I'm only partially joking).

The reality is that for that large majority of us, the motivation is not to conserve because it's good for the earth: we conserve when it hurts (costs) not to.

Think globally: act locally. We've got our work cut out for us. Start by tuning up your cars, using CFL lightbulbs (only for those that stay on for longer periods), recycle ALL of your empties, carpool, lower your thermostat, invest in "green" energy. These are easy to do.

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
The reality is that for that large majority of us, the motivation is not to conserve because it's good for the earth: we conserve when it hurts (costs) not to.
Any meaningful changes will have to be consumer driven. We have the motivation when prices go up. Anyone waiting for the State or Federal Governments to solve our consumption problems is in for a long, frustrating wait. Governments depend on taxes; income taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes, tolls, etc. Less consumption means less revenue. I could convert my diesel to vegetable oil but it's not actually legal because it's not a taxed fuel. Same deal with running the diesel on heating oil.

I read elsewhere:
"A recent study conducted by Harvard University found that the
average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study by the American Medical Association found that Americans
drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol during the year. (or more if it is a good summer at the lake)

This means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon. "

I wonder where the average hiker fits in? :p

Easiest way to offset carbon release as a function of driving to and from hiking?

Become a vegetarian.

Is it true that one coal burning power plant is built every week in China? If it is true then it makes slowing down to 55mph seem futile doesn't it?

I know, every bit helps, but one a week?

Last edited:
Chip said:
Any meaningful changes will have to be consumer driven.
Hit 'em where it hurts! That's the best way to make a difference. Hopefully, as oil prices are on their way to $200 a barrel, people will seriously start to think about ways to conserve. Otherwise, people feel it doesn't directly affect them.

And, in a related story, Toyota Prius sales were up 54% last year. I didn't buy one—I already drive a Civic Hybrid. :D I'm going to use my economic stimulus check to trick it out with sweet rims and a spoiler! :rolleyes:

carole said:
This means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon. "

I wonder where the average hiker fits in? :p
Probably the same mpg, just more miles divided by more alc !

The lighter side and our future: My nephew is an engineering major at UVM. He and his team competed this week in the 2nd Annual Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth Hybrid Formula Race Competition in Loudon.The 1 minute high speed lan video at the bottom is the best. These are some of our best and brightest competing to make more efficient vehicles now.

Last edited:
Here's another something I did which was very beneficial to me, financially, and to the world, carbon-footprint-wise.

I installed a whole-house attic fan. I had one growing up, and my attic was both wired and boxed for one by the builder. Every evening after the sun goes down, we run the fan to blow the hot air out of the attic, and replace the warm air in the house with the cooler evening air. In the morning, running it for another half hour will bring the house temp down another few degrees.

Before installing the fan, the attic temp would average in the 120-130 degree range in the evenings (after work). The following morning it would still be 95-105 range. Now it comes down to the ambient outdoor air temperature, meaning the attic starts out 50-60 degrees cooler every day. We never needed the air conditioning last summer.

Sorry, SherpaK, if this offends you. It is a factual, practical, personal anecdote. It is not meant as anything more or less than that. Your mileage may vary. My wife never heard of the whole-house fan idea, and so she is very glad I told her. I'm just passing along a success story.

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_house_fan - General Info, pros/cons, etc.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5M156 - The model I got, from Grainger Industrial Supply in Manchester.

Tim

I never used A/C last year in my house either, but I have a small house and I do use some window fans in my upstair lofts. (Don't really have an attic but an insulated crawlspace). Heat by wood and cool by fans.... Don't have central air anyway, just basic window shakers...

And I generally bike to work, take that hybrids! :p :p :)

Small houses rule!

Read a recent story on the AP newsline of a family in southern NJ who had a house built for him via some tv show (might of been that extreme homes or whatever that's called) and the guy, 1 year later, put it on the market saying it was too expensive to heat/cool and maintain and pay taxes on... even if he got it free. Small houses just make so much sense, I almost bought a 600sf A-frame but it had almost no property, as it was on a 1/5th acre. My 1100sf ranch is on a 1/3 acre so I do have more property now.

And if this is supposedly, hiking related, I can hike into the county park right from my backyard, just to keep this on topic.

jay

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
I installed a whole-house attic fan.
My parents have had one for many years--it significantly cuts down on the need for power-hungry air conditioning. One can also achieve a similar effect with just a window fan.

I also play the cold-trap game: open the windows at night (often with a fan running) and close them in the early morning. The interior of the house stays cooler than outside for most of the day.

Both tricks reduce one's home energy consumption.

Doug

For a small house, the fan-in-the-window works well, I agree. I did that for years. It is a good intermediate step, however it doesn't help the attic situation. There is also a considerable convenience in not having to put 4 or 5 fans in the windows every evening, and take them out in the AM...

So now I open one window in each room about 6 inches (adjusted for the distance from the fan) and turn a single switch and 9700 CFM (claimed) go flying through the attic. It's kind of like moving 10 yards of bark mulch with a wheelbarrow (window fan) or a Bobcat (whole house fan.)

Note: An important consideration in using such a device is properly venting your furnace. My house uses the furnace for hot water, so it runs year-round, and with that kind of suction, it can actually pull combustion gases back into the house.

Tim

Here are two ways to reduce your cooling bills -

1) If building a house/resheathing a roof, use a foil-backed sheathing, called 'radiant OSB'. It usually costs less than $1 more per sheet, so adds little to the overall cost. However, it reflects 97% of the radiant energy - in both directions. In other words - that portion of the sun's energy which is radiant, for all intents and purposes, is reflected outward. And, radiant energy from stoves, heating devices which is radiant, is reflected back into the house. It makes a HUGE difference in keeping an attic cooler, and I use it on utility buildings as well. When used on roofs the foil is installed downward, and on walls (especially south and east), it's installed outward. It is, or will be soon, a code requirement in many states/jurisdictions.

2) Use metal roofing - I installed this the year before selling my house in VT, and was amazed at the difference it made in keeping the attic cooler. And yes, by all means, install a whole-house fan. If you wish to test the effectiveness of one before installing it, and you have an access panel in a ceiling, then lay a box fan in the opening and turn it on, drawing cool air in thru the windows. It can make a dramatic difference, especially in the early evening hours.

Edit - The electric company serving the area I now live in will give you a $50 rebate for installing a whole-house fan.

Last edited:
On Yer Bike!!

I'm now biking to work everyday.... nearly ran over by a truck this morning, but that's another story. I also plan on biking to the daks once this summer for a hike. It's about 110 miles to the loj so I may have to make it a 3 day trip.

My Motto...."If Pete Hickey can do it, so can I"

Last edited:
Hey, good for you Prino, plus your car seems like it's going to fall apart soon anyway. :)

The ADKs would be a 200+ trip for me one way so it would have to be a looooonnngg weekend. But I may go up to the Shawangunks or so, that's about 70 miles one way.

Let me know if you have any qs, I use a mirror to at least see the cager about to run me over. Actually, in my 6 years of bike commuting, haven't been hit yet... been nudged a few times and remained standing but not hit.

Jay

wow

you guys are ambitious. biking to mountains. i have been biking to work 3 days per week, its about 10 miles each way. i guess i am trying to do my part and get in shape at the same time. i nearly get hit everyday on one section of my ride around a corner up a hill. unfortunately its the only route i can take to work bacause i have to stop at the post office.

I've been feeling increasingly guilty (as well as poorer!) about the amount of driving to the mountains I do....hiking trips at least a couple of times a month in the summer and skiing at Sugarloaf every weekend from early November to early May (450 miles round trip). This ski season I bought a more fuel efficient vehicle (Honda CRV) and saved about $100 a month over my previous SUV (full sized Montero). I also had our kids carpool with us instead of taking their own cars.....no need , as a family unit, to pay for the luxury of having 2 or 3 cars at Sugarloaf for the weekend. Since I'm not really into the peak bagging thing, I may do more hikes in southern NH and Maine and plan one or two multi-day trips to the Bigelows or the Presidentials. I'm also going to start commuting to work on my bike three days a week and take the train the other two to offset some of my guilt and save some money.

Gas prices are going to continue to get higher until people change their behaviors.

Jay H said:
Hey, good for you Prino, plus your car seems like it's going to fall apart soon anyway. :)

How did you know that? Quite right though... 150,000 miles, 10 years old and lot's of repairs coming up.... I guess I'll have to look closer at them "Smart Cars" ... I would love to show up at the river bank with a 17" canoe on top of one of those.
Keeping on the thread topic, I think more people should start looking at and being proud of owning a smaller vehicle.

Jay H said:
The ADKs would be a 200+ trip for me one way so it would have to be a looooonnngg weekend. But I may go up to the Shawangunks or so, that's about 70 miles one way.

200 miles.... No problem... you'll just have to make it a 4 day weekend ;)

Jay H said:
Let me know if you have any qs, I use a mirror to at least see the cager about to run me over. Actually, in my 6 years of bike commuting, haven't been hit yet... been nudged a few times and remained standing but not hit.

Jay

A mirror may have helped me actually. I usually hear them coming but this one I didn't until he screeced to a halt 2" from my back wheel after realizing he didn't have time or room to overtake me on a blind bend. :mad:

prino said:
I guess I'll have to look closer at them "Smart Cars"

You know, I'm seriously considering a Smart Car. My 1993 Honda Accord is falling to pieces and repair costs are beginning to exceed the value of the car. The Smart Car gets 50 MPG and they're cheap: about 12 grand and up.

A mirror may have helped me actually. I usually hear them coming but this one I didn't until he screeced to a halt 2" from my back wheel after realizing he didn't have time or room to overtake me on a blind bend.

For fear of really going off-topic here:

On my commute, I do the cardinal sin of wearing around-the-neck headphones (not earphones) but I use a mirror and I can still hear cars behind me... Maybe not hybrids but they're few and far between anyway and either way, I keep to the right all the time whether I hear a car or not except for when it is truly unsafe for a vehicle to pass. In those cases, I check my mirror and if I see a car far away enough so that I know he/she can slow down, I will take the entire lane to signify that is is not safe to pass me.

Just yesterday some moron bus driver (who I should of known better) decided to pass me on my bike when clearly I and he knew he would not have time to stop and pick up kids that was 50ft in front of me. Because he litereally wasn't even completely passed me when I saw him put on his yellow flashers and I could see the kids waiting to be picked up. I wound up passing the stopped and flashing yellow bus just as the door was being opened, making sure the kids knew I was not stopping. In hindsight, I shouldn't assume the bus driver is somewhat intelligent and took the lane to prevent the moron from trying to pass me and then stop. Oh well, live and learn.

Be especially careful with left turning drivers.. if I'm on the shoulder and see a left turning cager, I will make sure the drivers behind him don't think it safe to cut across the shoulder to pass them. Usually by riding as close to the white line as possible. Stuff like that... contruction zones where there is no shoulder, etc. etc. all situations where it is your right to take the lane. Otherwise, I'm not the type of cyclist who rides two abreast when riding with another even though it's my given right as a cyclist. I will pull back in line and wait for the cager to pass.

Obligatory hiking tidbit: You can pedal clipless pedals with your hiking boots.. I have! it feels funny but it works fine when doing bike spots...

Jay