The Highs and Lows of your hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Althought I appreciated reading the highs and lows, I understood what you originally meant, Timmus -- probably because it sounds like we have the same issues! The only difference are: my boots are utterly perfect to the point I refuse to retire them now that they've blown leaks in the seams; I eat and drink too much so that I have run out; and substitute beer for wine. :)

timmus said:
What are you good at and not so good at when hiking ?

What I am not so good at is hiking. Actually physically hiking. That's my weakness.

What I am good at? Realizing my weakness, accepting it and compensating, and doing it anyhow because I love it.

The high: The top

The low: The trailhead

Periwinkle said:
What I am not so good at is hiking. Actually physically hiking. That's my weakness.

What I am good at? Realizing my weakness, accepting it and compensating, and doing it anyhow because I love it.

Perfectly describes my situation, too. Thanks for posting it, Periwinkle.

G.

What I’m good at: Anticipating the needs of my companions, plotting my course complete with escape routes, and preparing for the worse case scenario.

What I suck at: Paring down my pack to a manageable weight. Being cognizant off my surrounds and remaining with my group.

Highs: Everything from start to finish...it's all good. :)

Lows: When I bring a terrible lunch or snacks.

-MEB

What I'm good at is planning a hike or overnight trip.

What I'm not so good at is following the plan.

sapblatt said:
Lows: frozen sandwiches and falling asleep driving :eek:

I'll take that :eek: , and raise you two :eek: :eek: .

Well Mike, whenever we get to go hiking outside of Massachusetts, I will do the driving!

Highs for me: getting one peak away from completing my first list (NH 48)
Lows for me: having to cancel the planned final hike (Mt. Carrigain) TWICE, both times on the night before. :(

timmus said:
What I really meant, is what are you good at and what are you not-so-good-at when going hiking. I think it is more clear like that... Sorry for the misunderstood :eek:
DOH ! And here I thought it was an emotional cry for psychological help. ;)
This kind of renders my "too much thinking" advice pointless. Oh well. :eek:

I'm not-so-good at the trail-head. I always feel rushed (even when solo) and like I'm forgetting something.
I'm also not-so-good for the first mile or 2 as I work to get my legs and lungs pumping.

I'm good at keeping the pace up AFTER the first mile or 2. I've got 2 or 3 of almost everything I could ever need on the trail, so I'm good with gear and having things other people sometimes need. This comes from solo'ing and also taking my boys and their friends back-packing. Anyone who wants to sharpen their own skills should take a small group of inexperienced hikers out. When you're the one responsible, it really helps your focus, I think.

marty said:
I'll take that :eek: , and raise you two :eek: :eek: .

Well Mike, whenever we get to go hiking outside of Massachusetts, I will do the driving!

Highs for me: getting one peak away from completing my first list (NH 48)
Lows for me: having to cancel the planned final hike (Mt. Carrigain) TWICE, both times on the night before. :(
Driving alone is the problem - it never happens when I am with someone...it is those 3-4am starts from home that get me! :p

Ok, let's try this again...

good at:Getting to the trailhead at ungodly hours just for a dayhike 6 hours away; sleeping in my car; hiking on uneven ground, especially rock hoping; using my trekking poles to the max; staying ultra positive and motivated when in charge of the group (really, you can't bring me down, it's weird :D ); realizing when it's time to head back;leaving camp by sunrise

not so good at: planning hikes that won't kill my non-hiking friends (I've gotten better at that); getting carried away on the first day of a multi-day backpack and burning out (also getting better at that); dealing with very hot weather, I run hot; motivating myself when I know I have an out

Good at: Hiking downhill, driving 4+ hours to get to Whites & ADK's. Dove-tailing business trips with a hike. I also seem to have a knack of finding hikers at the client & then having to hike with them as a business trip. (Years ago actually got the company to pay for me & client to hike with EMS Climbing School!)

Bad at: pack weight, keep rationalizing that I'm not going to turn back at first sign of bad weather after the drive from CT so extra/extra layers packed, 99% of the time 85% or more of it stays in the pack.

Hiking uphill with big pack, working on fitness & my weight though.

Sweating, not sure anyone sweats more than me that hikes, January day with good gusts (kept me off Presi's & on Field) raincoat & Poly T-shirt only. In that recent Nova Special I was curious, where can you get a thermo-capsule or whatever they swallowed (or was it implated, I missed the very beginning) so they could track the hiker's core temp. I'm convinced my core temp during exerting myself (jogging, hiking VB, etc) is well above normal & then comes down slower than the guy they were monitoring & worried about becuase he quickly went up & down.

Picking a day out in advance that will not rain. Last hike we started early enough to beat it & had my best view in 4 tries on Waumbek (01/21)

Hi: The view from the top, the anticipation on the drive up
Lo: the drive home, staying awake after the drive home due to the Dew which kept me awake on the drive home.

Following up on Pete's comment on going solo. Solo is a great way to have deep (disturbing at times??? :eek: ) conversations with just yourself, however there should be a limit of how many anyone does a year. You learn a lot about yourself when you actually have to listen to yourself....

I'm good at going up, especially when it's real steep. I get a rush out of the sense of accomplishment with every step.

I'm not so good at estimating "when are we gonna get there?" for occasional companions that don't hike very much (ie, relatives that will remain nameless).

The high points-
being there-dropping a tent in the snow,or arriving at a shelter-we're home for the night.
on the trail-just stopping to look-it's so cool out there :D
on the way out-thinkin' about that first cold Tucks!

The low points
"civilization depression" sets in just about at Manchester going south.
the last of the vertical-the five steps up ont the porch with a full pack-"I can't make it-go on without me!"

Low: "huff puff.....what the hell.....huff puff.....am I doing....huff puff.....walking my large butt....huff puff.....up this mountian for!?"

High: "Oh my God, this is why I walked my sorry butt up here......this is amazing!!!"

You get the idea ;) :p :D .
Brian

Highs: I love the entire journey, from beginning to end : )

Lows:Wish I lived closer...
kmac

kmac said:
Lows:Wish I lived closer...
kmac
I hear ya, Newtown :D

I have an ex from Newtown and practice with my band there. Always enjoyed the $2 cinema :)

Good at:
1. remembering everything I need (obsessive check list maker)
2. knowing when to turn around
3. recognizing when I need to eat

Not so good at:
1. Hiking alone--I start to doubt whether I have enough time, enough energy, whether it is safe, etc. to complete the hike
2. Being on time at the trailhead
3. hiking fast--I'm a natural slowpoke, can't seem to help it

Pete_Hickey said:
Oh yeah.... That's something I'm good at. Estimating when we're 5 minutes from the summit. Ask anyone who has hiked with me, how accurate I am, when I say, "Five more minutes."

High: When Pete says it's only "Five more minutes to the summit"

Low: Finding out it's actually closer to thirty minutes! :eek: