The last tenth--Redington #67

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
First it was supposed to be last March, but I fell just a tiny bit short of the Redington summit, I figure about a tenth of the hike. So I've spent the summer stuck at 66.9. (Here's the TR.) Then it was supposed to be Saturday, but it looked like cold rain and I'm a rain wimp, so I changed it to Sunday, losing a few companions in the process :( .

Then Saturday afternoon, October 13th, arrived and my son Tom and I left southern Maine bound for central Maine and the hike to Redington. We met Chinooktrail at the end of the Sugarloaf access road, took a look at the brown ski trails, and headed in on the Caribou Pond Road, or Caribou Valley Road, or Carrabassett Valley Road, or whatever you want to call it. After setting up our tents near the AT crossing, the three of us drove back out to a fine dinner at Tufulio's. It was sort of an anticipatory celebration, I guess we were pretty optimistic. Either that or determined! Then back "home" to a quiet evening with the sound of the Carrabassett in the background.

After some overnight rain, we got up in the morning and prepared to hit the road toward Redington. A black vehicle went by, I waved, and when it pulled over GO got out! What a pleasant turn of events--I knew he might join us, but with all the changes I wasn't certain that he'd make it. So we had a local guide for the occasion. :cool:

The air was cool but not cold, and after parking next to a Subaru (what else?) just before the really sketchy last bridge we shouldered our packs and started on up the road. The rain had saturated the colors of the leaves, and the walk was beautiful.

Then we had our first treat--a few leaves with the first snow of the year on them. :D Before long we got to the Caribou Pond outlet and turned right toward Redington. The walk is gradual, but it is consistently uphill without much variation in the pitch. Before long we saw the choppings on the side of
Redington, along with the mass of clouds where the summit belonged. For the first time we saw the frosting on the hillside, with a pretty clear demarcation of the snow/rain boundary. The skies were blue for the most part.

Most of this hike is on gravelly and rocky roads, and I found myself nostalging (yes it's a word, I just made it up :rolleyes: ) about northern Maine, where the back roads are similar, with fields of hay where trees were cut, young spruce and fir growth backed by older, taller trees, and rough roads winding through it all. I felt right at home.

Before long we got to the corner Shrink Rap and I had missed last March while searching for the nonexistent snowmobile trail to the summit. The flagging was obvious, as was the trail. So we left the road (which continues up to the col between Redington and South Crocker) and headed up the trail. At no time did we see anything even approaching a bushwhack or herd path--this is a well worn, though unmarked trail.

The trail goes pretty straight until you reach a small open area, then it takes a right and starts up the summit cone. That part was rougher and slipperier, and the little bit of snow greased the roots up pretty well.

We got to the summit in about 15 minutes from that turn, the hike as a whole having taken two pretty leisurely hours from the last sketchy bridge. There was a bit more snow on the summit, just enough to make everything look really good. Well, everything except the tower, that didn't look too good. I suppose the rime ice and the wind will do their work over time and it will come crashing down someday. :p

We had forgotten to bring along a new notebook, and the one in the cannister is completely full. Just enough room for our entry. Interestingly, the entry immediately before ours said, "10/8/07--GO again!" I think he likes it up there ;). But anyway, if you're planning to head up there, please bring a new notebook. Otherwise I'll have to do it sometime this winter. :D

After we took a few photos, Tom pulled out the celebratory beverage. And what would be more fitting for this most Maine-y of Maine mountains than Moxie?!?!? :D After a quick slug of that foul brew we headed back down.

The views on the way down were wonderful. Spaulding poked its summit out of the clouds from time to time, and it, too, was well frosted with the season's first snow. The bowl spread out before us with its shades of green, yellow and brown under the blue and white skies. In no time we were back to the truck and heading down the road.

On our way out the Caribou, you know, the CVR, we stopped to take some evidence of the colors. There, peeking through the trees, was Sugarloaf, the higher portions of its trails beginning to look almost skiable! What a great view for the end of a hike, the end of a list, and the beginning of who knows what next? :D

So a mountain that was becoming something I "had to get out of the way" turned into one of my favorites of the 67, one to which I will return many times. I love it when a mountain does that to me!

Thanks to everyone who hiked each of those 67 mountains with me, from that first summit of Bigelow's West Peak in 1975 with my first love, to those I shared with old friends, to the ones my kids have made so special, and finally to those I've hiked with many of you from VFTT over the past couple years. And a particular thanks to Tom, Chinooktrail and GO, and Redington itself, for making the day wonderful.

What a trip! I hope it never ends. ;)

Oh, if you don't believe me about the colors, the views or the frosting, or even if you do, check here for the pics.

Wow Peter,
that sounds like a fantastic hike and definitely lots of beautiful snow. It seems you bring out the most extreme weather whenever you finish a list (remember Moosilauke?). Looks like you had a great crew to join you, too.

Congratulations on #67!

Best regards,
Marty

Congratulations Peter!! Wish I could have been there. Beautiful photos of the snow and vibrant fall colors, this is definitely one of my favorite times of year! Glad you had a great day and classy company - I love your son's orange hat and gloves :)

-katie

Whoo Hoo!!

Congrats again Peter! It was indeed a wonderful trip!

So nice to meet your son, what a great young man, you deserve to be very proud. So refreshing to see such obvious mutual respect.

Also a big thank you to GO for being the local guide, makes you want to just pack up and move to Kingfield huh??

Can't wait to get back up there for some more hiking and camping.

Bigelows anyone?

:rolleyes:

Glad to hear that you got it done. That was a crazy day we had on Moosilauke, but this one sounds pretty good too. As one "stuck" at #66, I understand what you mean about feeling like it's something you have to do.

Way to get it done and enjoy it!!!

That's awesome!! Ugh, Moxie... :D

Congratulations and thanks for the pics of... dare I say, Winter!!

Congrats Mad Townie!

'twas a winter wonderland up there! Sorry the weather was being very new england-ish thus making people bail!

How bad did the bridge on CVR look? Did it look like any brave/crazy souls had driven over it lately?

Color!

Congrats Peter!! What a wonderful accomplishment :D :D :)

Your pics are great - I love the variety - snow, beautiful leaves, etc.

Sorry to have missed this :(

BUT - there will be others!!

marty said:
It seems you bring out the most extreme weather whenever you finish a list (remember Moosilauke?).
Just like going to school when I was a kid: 200 mph winds, eighty below zero, and uphill both ways! :D

Actually, Marty, the weather was quite nice--cool but not cold, some breeze but not what I'd call windy, mix of sun and clouds, just enough snow to look nice but not enough to impede progress (or to make us park down at Rt. 27). All in all it was a great fall day in Maine.

Thanks to all for your congrats! Onward and upward.

Nice timing on the conditions. Glad you got some color. I'll admit to being the skeptical one as I was up that way over three weeks ago and never thought it would hang on this long. What a special treat to have your son and such a great crew along.Congrats and keep on hiking! :D

Peter...congratulations on your 67!!
Great accomplishment!!!
So nice to see some snow hopefully coming are way soon.
It had to be so nice to have your son along with you.
You had the best leader in the state of Maine and great
company with Christine. :)

Whoo-hoo!
Way to go Peter!
Sorry I was not able to join you all.

-MEB

Long Strange Trip

Hey Townie,

Congrats on the BIG 67!!! What a long strange trip it has been, eh?

And as for meeting up with Mr Oswald -- what could be better.

Just curious; Can the 100 be far behind??

cb

Congrats MT. Now you can move on to unplanned free form spur of the moment hiking. Or pursue some other crazy list.
Just keep hiking!!

BTW at my school those conditions were accompanied by raging blizzards, lightning and locusts :eek: :D ;)

There are two more lists that I plan to pursue concurrently:

List 1: Mountains I haven't already climbed;
List 2: Mountains I have already climbed.

I love that "unplanned free form spur of the moment" stuff.

It was interesting, though, how #67 became almost an obligation. Then when I was actually out there hiking it the burden of obligation disappeared, even before I got to the summit, and was replaced by my old friend, The Joy of Hiking. Hmm, sounds like there might be a book title in there somewhere! :D

Speaking of enjoying the mountains, GO, Chinooktrail and I were discussing favorite mountains. Katahdin and Bigelow featured prominently:rolleyes:, and I was reminded that each has its own feeling. For me, Katahdin is a "WOW!" experience, while Bigelow is an "Aaahhhhh." Redington is another "Aaahhhhh."

Congratulations Peter !

Great day and a great hike !!

I notice you didn't breakdown on the summit :rolleyes:

You are...

so eloquent and just generally darn cool... what a great place the world would be if everyone were as relaxed and secure as you. being a totally "listless" soul, i can identify with the "obligatory" nature of your feelings about completing a peak list - nevertheless, CONGRATS amigo! a good enough excuse for a party for me... :D