The official 2010 Spring wildflowers thread...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is a photo of Coltsfoot that was seen along the Smarts Brook Trail on 02-May-2010. Would many folks consider Coltsfoot to be more in the category of an invasive weed rather than a wildflower? I think it's often mistaken for a dandelion. As I understand it, this is a non-native species that came here with early European settlers, probably for use as a cough suppressant.

Coltsfoot.JPG

Got a few from our hike up Windham High Peak in the Catskills this past weekend.

Feel free to correct me on any IDs…

Toothwort (I think):
dscn4011.jpg

Common Wood Sorrel:
dscn3895r.jpg

Not sure what these are. They look kind of like bleeding hearts:
dscn3988.jpg

Trout Lilly:
dscn3995f.jpg

Red/Purple Trillium:
dscn3984k.jpg

dscn3992.jpg

Serviceberry:
dscn4067z.jpg

dscn4055j.jpg

What a difference a couple of days makes!

Saturday morning I'd seen mostly these:
attachment.php

And a some of these:
attachment.php

But this evening there were plenty of these:
attachment.php

Also, here's a sample of the white periwinkle, though these may be garden plants, since there a couple of old cellars very close by.
attachment.php

Retracing my steps at dusk, I also noticed an incredibly dense bed of trout lily (well past peak) and several jack-in-the-pulpits that I had completely overlooked on Saturday.

Last edited:
Great shots by everyone!

@ DSettahr- I am no expert, but I also believe it to be Dutchman's Breeches. The 2nd flower labeled Common Wood Sorrel I believe to be Spring Beauty.

KDT

I concur on the Spring Beauty (leaf shape is a giveaway vs sorrel), but I can't support the Dutchman's Breeches ID. The shape of the lobes is all wrong, and the pink spots would be extremely unusual. Their close relative, Bleeding Hearts, isn't a good match either - mostly by color but also on lobe shape. I'll vote for a third member of genus Dicentra: squirrel corn, Dicentra Canadensis.

Below is a snapshot of what I think is Goldthread.:confused: It was seen on 05-May at about 1,500 ft. elevation on the west side of the Crawford Notch, about a mile south of Mt. Willard.

Goldthread.JPG

Last edited:
I concur on the Spring Beauty (leaf shape is a giveaway vs sorrel), but I can't support the Dutchman's Breeches ID. The shape of the lobes is all wrong, and the pink spots would be extremely unusual. Their close relative, Bleeding Hearts, isn't a good match either - mostly by color but also on lobe shape. I'll vote for a third member of genus Dicentra: squirrel corn, Dicentra Canadensis.

Correct on the squirrel Corn!

I've been away from New England for a bit, and am amazed at how fast spring has come in to southern NH and Maine.

Yesterday, I went and found some Fringed Polygala in Bedford, NH on the way to the Ponemah bog. Also in bloom yesterday were lady slippers, bluets, a few lingering oats and plenty of starflowers.

4588972194_e1f8c84d74.jpg

Then in the bog, it was on it's way to past, and the wind tonight might just kill the rhodora. This is about a week and a half earlier than last year. In bloom were blueberries, laurel, rhodora and cherry, as well as a few bog rosemary. I seems as though a good indicator for the bogs is lilac in full bloom!

4588344297_84d621e8a5.jpg

This morning I went to the Saco Heath in Maine. In bloom there were clintonia, polygala, a few lingering goldthread, starflowers, lady slippers and plenty of painted trilliums!

Here's the Saco Heath...be careful if you go, parts of the boardwalk are a bit rough!

4589513721_8c4934ce92.jpg

The polygala shot is outstanding! Let me know next time you shoot in the Saco Heath - just down the road from me.

Here's a daylily in my yard... that's about as far as I wandered today.

p183628198-4.jpg

NH Endangered Flower...cultivated at a local nature center...

Haven't found it in the wild yet...any tips through PM appreciated!

4609017802_38c6ef7dce.jpg

Great shots!
I'm actively involved with searching out wildflowers and have been very surprised with how early everything is blooming this year (here in the Mt Mansfield, VT area we are a full 3 weeks ahead of "normal" blossom time!!!).

Anybody observe how the local woodland and mtn flora has been affected by the past two snowstorms and 3 heavy freezes of last week??

Wow...you got some great shots there! Love the polygala you shot...the water really adds to it.

I shot some this morning myself in Pawtuckaway. Starting to fade...but this one was nice!

Also seen...lily of the valley, solomon seal, star flower, canada mayflower, lady slipper, strawberry, bluets still, and a bunchberry (not common here down south).

4611175181_4aebf884ab.jpg