The official 2010 Spring wildflowers thread...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few from a recent trip to Chocorua.

Not sure of this one?

114190088-5974c2b53ebcbee024dc2c7dac8cfa9b.4c12ea20-scaled.jpg

I think that is a bog laurel. :)

I think that is a bog laurel. :)
cooperhilll and grouseking , I believe it is Sheep Laurel (Kalmia angustifolia) rather than Bog Laurel (Kalmia polifolia). The flowers of Bog Laurel are at the end of stems. On Sheep Laurel the stems terminate with leaves, and the clusters of blossoms are further back from the terminal leaves as is the case in cooperhill's photo.

And yes everything appears to be flowering early this year. In the Catskills and mid-Hudson Valley of New York flowers are blooming about 19-21 days ahead of last year.

Last edited:
Although it's not a spring-flower, I thought this was a picturesque patch of lichen that was spotted on a ledge at about 2,600 ft while hiking on 11-Jun-2010 in the vicinity of Kearsarge North.

P1050547.JPG

Doug, the british soldiers and pixie cups are two separate species in the genus Cladonia. They tend to associate with each other, perhaps because they like the same growing conditions.

Doug, the british soldiers and pixie cups are two separate species in the genus Cladonia. They tend to associate with each other, perhaps because they like the same growing conditions.
OK. I was told the cups were fruiting bodies and I presumed they were part of the British soldiers.

I had seen pictures of British soldiers many years ago--I didn't realize they were so small... I didn't spot them myself--one of my co-hikers was a botanist and she pointed them out.

Anyhoo, I thought they were interesting and sufficiently "flower-like". Hopefully some others did too.

Doug

Last edited:
Possibly an Amelanchier (a.k.a. shadbush, serviceberry, and several other names), though those usually have narrower petals and more flowers per cluster. It's obviously in the rose family, and off the top of my head I can't think of another suitable shrub - genus Prunus (cherries) have similar flowers, but I think they all flower before the leaves show; genus Malus (apples) have less obvious serrations on their leaves.

Last edited:
I had no idea what these were when I took this image but I liked their striking red color. Thanks for the identification.

Another battalion of British Soldiers with Pixie Cups alongside:

4709964851_78c1670dc2.jpg

JohnL

I'm amazed every time I go back under the power lines. There are so many wildflowers in what you would think is a wasteland.

Common Milkweed
4719135030_d67e3c2618.jpg

Red Osier
4719134016_c1207030e6.jpg

Spreading Dogbane
4719134182_4a3870df52.jpg

Whorled Loosestrife
4718487793_5d058c6c34.jpg

Purple Loosestrife
4718487511_4d4729ea11.jpg

Deptford Pink
4718487323_06d8ecedcf.jpg

Swamp Rose
4719134438_d19fd35d19.jpg

Unidentified - Need some help on this one.
4718488415_ce52c7a4f6.jpg
4719134844_4da9a90908.jpg

JohnL

Last edited:
are you sure? that looks like a dogwood (Cornus sp.), the leaves are very distinctive

I'm fairly certain of the identification. It matches all the descriptions and photos I have of Gallium mollugo. I don't recall the leaves looking like C. stolonifera but I can go back tomorrow night and check with more photos.

JohnL

John L, awesome images...nice work! Thanks for posting. Tried to reward you with a greenie but the system is intent on egalitarianism. I'll have to instead reward someone else for their pulse.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful images ;)...awesome colors, crisp focus yet a soft, warm overall feel...nice

happy trails :)

are you sure? that looks like a dogwood (Cornus sp.), the leaves are very distinctive

I stand corrected. Thanks for catching the error. When I went back out to look at them last night I could see from 15 feet away that my ID was incorrect.

JohnL