The state of topo maps?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
What is the state of topo maps these days? Can you still go to brick and mortar stores and have them pull out a large paper map any more? I use them very heavily for navigation in bushwhacks and other explorations.

I find my GPS to be too small and too lacking of details that USGS notes.

I have been using the National Geographic on demand printer at the Burlington Mass LL Bean store, but have been somewhat disappointed in the results. While it does a good job of merging quadrants, there are other factors such as size, cost@$10 each for a waterproof copy that is a bit much and lack of annotations. The whole revision tracking is an issue.

Ordering online seems expensive too, when you have to add in the shipping.

Do the brick and mortar stores still stock the maps in the drawers? Or am I going to have to "special order" them, and drive over to pick them up. I am going to start to call around today to see what they will do for me.

The usgs.gov topo downloads are nice for planning, but noting beats a paper copy to markup and annotate.

I come from the old school, I have rolls and rolls of topo maps which I enjoy. I like to see the big picture. When my kids were younger, back when the digital transformation was happening, I stuck to fairly well documented/used trails and didn't need maps for about a 10 year period.

Would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

What is the state of topo maps these days? Can you still go to brick and mortar stores and have them pull out a large paper map any more?
It depends on the store, and what map you want :)

LLCote in Errol and EMS Peterborough still had at least some areas the last time I looked, think $6 was the price

My usual mode now is to photocopy at a map library, that solves the single edge problem but something near 4 corners is still a problem

Of course you can print online topos for areas near the edges but I find resolution less good than a photocopy

I know the Mountaineer in Keene, NY has a very good selection.

When I need one though, I usually go to the USGS site, use their area selector tool and order it online - it usually only takes a couple of says to get here.

The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln has a closet full of them - I believe the entire state of NH, as well as popular quads in VT/ME/maybe NY? I believe they can be mailed from that store as well.

I heard that the price of the maps will be going up soon (or has already gone up) - you'll probably see the older rate until stores clean out their old inventory, at which point I think the price goes up to $8 or $10 per 7.5 min quad.

The usgs.gov topo downloads are nice for planning, but noting beats a paper copy to markup and annotate.

So print it. Mark it up to your heart's content. (I like to highlight the streams and other landmarks in bold colors, and add mileages.) Slip it inside a Ziploc, and it's waterproof.

I find having several small sheets is much easier to manage than a huge folding map. (In New England, anyway. You're not likely to be sighting on distant peaks for navigation when you can't see three feet through the spruce.)

Don't forget that you can print the downloaded maps yourself. (If you don't have a large format printer, you and edit out sections of the maps and print only the section on an 8.5x11 inch sheet. I've read that you can waterproof maps with Thompson's water seal or you can carry the maps in ziplock bags.)

If you have commercial software maps such and NG TOPO!, you can also print them out.

REI and EMS sell a selection of maps, perhaps even including one that you want...

Doug

I've read that you can waterproof maps with Thompson's water seal or you can carry the maps in ziplock bags.)

There is an easier way. NatGeo sells waterproof "Explorer" sheets expressly for this purpose. EMS and probably similar stores stock it. You just substitute a sheet of it for your regular paper in your printer and you're all set.

Probably depends on the ink, too.

That may be, but I didn't research that. I saw a package of it on sale for a couple of bucks on a trip to EMS and picked one up. It makes nice color maps from my Nat Geo Topo program and also off various websites that show trail maps in which I have a special interest. We have an H-P color printer of some sort that isn't anything special, I think.

I've already used up my first package of the Explorer paper and bought a second. No jams or anything so far, but maybe I'm just lucky.

That may be, but I didn't research that. I saw a package of it on sale for a couple of bucks on a trip to EMS and picked one up. It makes nice color maps from my Nat Geo Topo program and also off various websites that show trail maps in which I have a special interest. We have an H-P color printer of some sort that isn't anything special, I think.

I've already used up my first package of the Explorer paper and bought a second. No jams or anything so far, but maybe I'm just lucky.
Have you gotten any wet yet? If so, how did it fare?

I have some Explorer paper that came with some maps, but haven't tried it. Pre-folded regular-paper maps in ziplocks or commercial tyvek maps have met my needs so far.

Doug

Have you gotten any wet yet? If so, how did it fare?

I have indeed, a couple of times this wet spring and early summer, and my maps on Explorer paper have been impervious. These have been on some fairly obscure sections of the Bay Circuit Trail in Eastern Mass., where frequent consultation of their Trail Maps is a prudent necessity. Some other sheets I had on regular paper bled like mad.

The only place that comes to mind that has unfolded maps in the drawer is Moor & Mountain in Andover Ma. Couldn't tell you exactly what they have but the fella there tells me they stock in store the most common New England maps.

Joe.

The only place that comes to mind that has unfolded maps in the drawer is Moor & Mountain in Andover Ma.

That proprietor is Al French - "Mr. Bay Circuit Trail." The Boston Globe featured him in an article on the BCT last Fall. His store is a real Mecca for serious hikers in eastern Mass. (and is also the BCT headquarters).

That proprietor is Al French - "Mr. Bay Circuit Trail." The Boston Globe featured him in an article on the BCT last Fall. His store is a real Mecca for serious hikers in eastern Mass. (and is also the BCT headquarters).
His partner Burt is a great guy as well. very helpful folks and they will go out of their way for you. :)

The Book House in Stuyvesant Plaza in Albany has an excellent selection and even a dedicated 'map person'. If they don't have the sheet you are looking for they'll order it.

I needed to update a number of Catskills and Vermont topos. Found most of the Catskills. Found some of the VT...they ordered all the ones that were not in stock and called me about 2 weeks later to say the order had come in.

I plan my hikes and routes on full sized topographic maps, pencil in bearings, etc. and carry them in the pack. I then download the route from Nat'l Geo topo computer maps into the GPS. The full sized maps are excellent ways to study where you are going and whats around it. For me, its just not the same to see it shrunk to an 8.5" x 11" print out, though I do that as well to stick in my pocket. Ah, belts and suspenders. ;)

Alan

The full sized maps are excellent ways to study where you are going and whats around it. For me, its just not the same to see it shrunk to an 8.5" x 11" print out, though I do that as well to stick in my pocket. Ah, belts and suspenders. ;)

Alan

Size does matter! ;) I agree with you, I want the whole map at my disposal!

waterproof map paper

I've used the water proof printer paper many times and have tested it using total submersion. It's pretty indestructable, it does burn though. It is highly tear resistant. One note of caution. The ink binds with a coating on the paper that becomes waterproof after printing. Some paper has the coating on both sides some only on one. If you print on a side with no coating the printing will easily smudge when dry and rinse off when wet. I use the Nat. Geo. adventure paper which is coated on both sides. The sheets seem to made of something closer to polyprolene rather than paper. Buddy