The Twins and Galehead, and Very High Wind, 3/13/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
March 13, 2010: Twins and Galehead

Trails: North Twin Trail, North Twin Spur, Frost Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Gale River Trail, Winter approach and exit (Little River Road, Beaver Brook Wayside Area)

Summits: North Twin, South Twin, Galehead

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), LarryD, Jason Berard, Tuco (Eric), Bobby, Sirdar (Mike Lynch), and me

It’s always interesting when we’re able to experience a “first time” for anything, especially if it involves hiking.

As planned, the group of adventure seekers gathered at Beaver Brook between 6:00 and 6:30am for a hike to the Twins and Galehead. After consolidating gear into a couple vehicles we drove to Little River Road and started our hike a little ahead of schedule. The conditions were overcast, a breeze from the north, and ~36 degrees. The trail was solid. After crossing the bridge over Little River, most of us went with snowshoes but a couple were on MicroSpikes. The trail was solid enough to prevent any damage. The hike to the summer trailhead was a quick one. After a quick break and a few pictures we were on our way to North Twin. As we left the trailhead comments were made concerning the wind noise and how the forecasters were evidently a little off for the day.

The hike to the third crossing went quickly. The trail is well packed with no obstacles along the way. We skipped the first two crossings of Little River and stayed with the herd path bypass. The third crossing is still solid. We hit the west side of Little River and started the climb. Along the way to North Twin there is quite a bit of evidence of recent work done to clear blowdowns. Thanks to the folks that did the work, it is very helpful. Toward the upper part of the climb the trail is more like a bushwhack – very tight, often in the treetops, and loaded with “lean-overs” that are blocking the trail. In fact, the final ~.3 miles leading to the relatively open ridge before the summit arrears to wander off-trail and actually becomes a bushwhack. In other words, the conditions on the upper part of the North Twin Trail are a little difficult right now.

As we climbed the wind increased, but we could always hear it (even me). Roughly a half mile before the open area on the ridge we stopped and all added a layer – tough conditions weren’t far ahead and I think we all recognized it. We reached the open ledge below the summit and started to get hit with the strong wind. Slowly, we all made our way across to the summit. We became a little spread out along the way. The wind was very strong and staying upright was a real test. I believe we all were able to make the crossing to the summit without taking a fall. We stayed long enough to briefly enjoy the views, get a few pictures, and quickly took off for South Twin.

The route broken out to South Twin generally follows North Twin Spur, but drifts to the east in a few areas. Because of the snow depth the hike between summits is more like a bushwhack than anything else. This area is a great place for safety glasses – or risk a sharp stick in the eye. Roughly ¾ of the way to South Twin we met a solo hiker headed for North Twin. His only comment was “there’s lots of wind on South Twin”. We let him know there was lot’s of wind on North Twin too. We kept moving.

After passing the solo hiker we hiked into a generally open snowfield. In summer this area has the trail passing through a corridor that is cut through the dense scrub. Now, the snow depth has the trail above everything – and fully exposed to the extreme wind we were enjoying. If the wind wasn’t the most extreme I have ever been exposed to it was definitely high on the list.

Hiking across the open area was a constant test. The wind wasn’t particularly gusty, although there were some gusts. It was simply very high and relentless. The wind was coming from the east and we were generally hiking south. We needed to constantly lean left to stay upright. Similar to the approach on North Twin, we became spread out on this section. I was out in front by a couple hundred yards, then Sue, Mike, Larry, and Jason, were next and Eric and Bobby were in the final group. As we came closer to the final climb to the summit the wind level increased. On the crossing we were all bundled up but that didn’t stop Mother Nature. At one point the wind got underneath the hood on Mike’s jacket, pulled his cap off, and it was gone. Roughly fifty feet below the summit the wind increased and I stopped to brace myself and wait for it to fall off a little. Instead, the wind increased further and the force caused me to break through the crust that I was braced on and drop into a spruce trap. I pulled myself out and continued toward the summit. As I reached the summit there was a sheltered place in the ledge where the wind was low – I should have stopped here but instead kept moving. I believed the west side of the summit area would offer better shelter.

The “First Time” is coming up. The top section of ledge on the summit is clear of snow and ice. All of us decided to go over this open area. We should have all gone around but didn’t know that at the time. One by one everybody climbed onto the ledge and was blown down by the wind. The only good way to cross the summit of South Twin was on hands and knees. I have never been in wind so severe as to force everybody on their hands and knees to make forward progress. I was already across and on the west side of the summit and managed to get a few pictures on the various crossings. As we waited for Eric and Bobby to join the party on the west side of the summit I also got a quick video.

Together again we set off for the Galehead Hut knowing calmer conditions were just ahead. As we made the steep descent toward the hut we again saw the solo hiker. He made it to North Twin and was on his return. I assumed he was doing an out-and-back from Beaver Brook. He was moving quite a bit faster than the rest of us and was soon gone. On our descent we met three additional hikers on their climb to South Twin. They inquired about the conditions waiting for them.

We reached the hut and stopped for some refreshment and to re-group before the final climb to Galehead. Once we were all back together we set off for the summit of Galehead. As we were leaving the hut we again met the solo hiker. I learned he was Rejean and took the opportunity to introduce myself. I asked if he was hiking from Beaver Brook on an out-and-back. He said that he was hiking a Pemi Loop from Lincoln Woods. I assume his next target was Garfield and then Franconia Ridge.

We made the climb to the summit of Galehead. Around the hut the trail is very confused with several bushwhack routes through the dense growth. Eventually, everything merges a short distance from the hut and there is a good track to the summit. We hit the summit, stopped for pictures, and I checked my notes. Surprisingly, at this point we were approximately thirty minutes ahead of plan for the day. All things considered, not bad.

From here to Beaver Brook is a generally downhill cruise with a couple small PUDs along the way. We returned to the hut and found another trio on their way through. As they crossed the porch of the Galehead Hut the one in the lead (Stacie) looked at me and asked – Are you Earl? As it turned out she is a client of my neighbor. Stacie was hiking with CFDingman and Barbara. They were on the same route, were headed for Galehead, and then the exit.

Our hike to Beaver Brook was generally uneventful. The route leaving the Galehead Hut started as a bushwhack but eventually hit the Garfield Ridge Trail roughly half-way to the junction with the Gale River Trail. From there out was an easy cruise. We made the descent and encountered only a couple blowdowns along the way with good bypass routes. Both crossings of Gale River are still solid and should not be a concern, at least for a while. A couple times along the way to the summer trailhead we all stopped to regroup and eventually reached the trailhead. Here, the snowshoes were retired. Most went with MicroSpikes while two of us simply bare booted the remaining hike back to Beaver Brook. This time through we all made the correct turns and found our way to Beaver Brook Wayside Area without any problems.

What a day! It was a great way to close the final Saturday of ’09 – ’10 winter hiking. Nearly everybody earned checkmarks, some or all of the summits were needed by most for their W48 completion. Thanks to everybody for a terrific hike to the Twins and Galehead.

Pictures will follow.

:D

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
Another entertaining report, Earl!

It would be interesting to know the wind-speeds you experienced. I don't suppose anyone in your group happened to be carrying one of those handheld anemometers? Sounds like at a minimum you guys were experiencing sustained gale-force winds (39 to 46 mph on the Beaufort wind scale).

Last edited:
I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Another entertaining report, Earl!

It would be interesting to know the wind-speeds you experienced. I don't suppose anyone in your group happened to be carrying one of those handheld anemometers? Sounds like at a minimum you guys were experiencing sustained gale-force winds (39 to 46 mph on the Beaufort wind scale).
Thanks John,

I believe the winds were greater than anything I had previously experienced. It seems to me I have been in 55 - 60mph a couple times on the Presidentials. This was much more difficult.

Unfortunately, none of us had a handheld weather station. It's on my wish list.

Check out the South Twin summit video. :eek:

Fantastic report and photos, Earl :cool:. Loved seeing the crawling act on S. Twin almost as much as Larry's hat :p.

Nice job everyone on three well earned peaks :D. Wish I could have joined you.

Regards,
Marty

Earl, can't say thanks enough for having me along! The company was the best and the mountains (and conditions) were challenging as always. Looking forward to the next adventure!

Cheers,
Mike

Great report and pictures. Sounds like you guys really earned those Winter peaks. Wished I could have made it.

Congratulations.

Fantastic report and photos, Earl :cool:. Loved seeing the crawling act on S. Twin almost as much as Larry's hat :p.

Nice job everyone on three well earned peaks :D. Wish I could have joined you.

Regards,
Marty
Thanks Marty,

I think you would have enjoyed this one. I wish you could have made it too. :)

Earl, can't say thanks enough for having me along! The company was the best and the mountains (and conditions) were challenging as always. Looking forward to the next adventure!

Cheers,
Mike
It was great to meet and hike with you Mike. We’ll have more good combinations coming up and hope you can join the fun.

Great report and pictures. Sounds like you guys really earned those Winter peaks. Wished I could have made it.

Congratulations.
Thanks Paul,

All of the way to Beaver Brook I was expecting to find you napping in the parking lot when we arrived. ;) We all enjoy an early start. I hope we can get together for another hike soon.

Great report Earl. It was a fine day, even with the heavy winds. It's been a long time since I've had to crawl anywhere! I only wish we had a few minutes to enjoy the views from South Twin. Maybe next time ;)

Thanks Earl and Sue for the invite, it was a pleasure hiking with you.

Any hike that leaves you with something different is a bonus and gives something special to remember. I think this hike certainly falls into that category. A bit "breezy".

Good to meet you Mike as well.

It was a remarkable wind. As noted in BIGEarl's report, we came across from N. to S. Twin about 40 minutes after his group and were pleased to meet up with them as they returned from Galehead and we prepared to head up there. We were likewise impressed with the wind and had done our share of crawling on the approach to S. Twin. Probably at the same outcrop where BIGEarl decided to press on, I stopped to catch my breath, and Stacie led us to the summit by working her way to the right slightly, so that we approached the summit sign from the west rather than the north, thus avoiding the surprise that greeted the earlier group as they came over the top. Instead, we found that it was almost impossible to touch the summit sign itself, as the strong, steady wind held us firmly at arm's length in front of the post. We each got it without tumbling backwards, but it was an extraordinary sensation to be held so firmly at bay by the invisible, natural force in front of us.

Thanks Earl and Company for a great time. Hope to see you all out there again soon.

I thought I had the perfect body for heavy winds (short, heavy). Boy was I wrong!

Why is Marty making fun of my hat?

Great report Earl. It was a fine day, even with the heavy winds. It's been a long time since I've had to crawl anywhere! I only wish we had a few minutes to enjoy the views from South Twin. Maybe next time ;)
Thanks Bobby,

It’s been quite a while since we hiked together (5/24/08?). I hope our next hike doesn’t wait that long. I really enjoyed hiking with you.

Sorry for the fast exit from S. Twin. We could have stuck around but I thought everybody wanted to escape the conditions as quickly as possible. :(

Thanks Earl and Sue for the invite, it was a pleasure hiking with you.

Any hike that leaves you with something different is a bonus and gives something special to remember. I think this hike certainly falls into that category. A bit "breezy".

Good to meet you Mike as well.
Tuco – I agree. This one was different, and not just a little bit. We’ll all remember this hike for a while, I’m sure. ;)

It was a remarkable wind. As noted in BIGEarl's report, we came across from N. to S. Twin about 40 minutes after his group and were pleased to meet up with them as they returned from Galehead and we prepared to head up there. …..
It was a real treat to meet you, Stacie, and Barbara at the Galehead Hut. We all had the tough part of the day behind us and were on our final exit cruise. You three still had the PUD known as Galehead to visit first. Hope to see you on the trails again soon.

:)

Thanks Earl and Company for a great time. Hope to see you all out there again soon.

I thought I had the perfect body for heavy winds (short, heavy). Boy was I wrong!

Why is Marty making fun of my hat?
Thanks Larry,

The conditions seemed to show the advantage we both thought we had was not there. Even short and stocky can’t counter the wind we were getting. :eek:

You’ll have to check with Marty – I think it’s a neat hat and wish I had one just like it. :cool:

Well, that was fun! I've never been blown off my feet and rolled into the krumholtz like a tumbleweed before.:eek:
Seriously, it was good to hike with you and Sue again. I think last time was Carrigain last winter.
Larry, Bobby, and Eric: Good hiking with you guys, as always!

Mike, good to meet you, and I'm sure we'll get out there again!

jason

It’s been quite a while since we hiked together (5/24/08?). I hope our next hike doesn’t wait that long. I really enjoyed hiking with you.

Sorry for the fast exit from S. Twin. We could have stuck around but I thought everybody wanted to escape the conditions as quickly as possible. :(

Has it been that long? I'll work to keep the intervals shorter this year.

Larry, I have several hats like yours, and Marty is alway making fun of me. I think it's jealously.

Don't apologize for the fast exit from South Twin, I know that I wanted to get out of the wind ASAP. It was best to get off the peak and into the trees in a hurry. I was disappointed the weather didn't cooperate with us, we made the right move by getting out of there.

Last edited:
Larry, I think that's a stylish hat you rocked on the hike. Earl, et. al, wished to have joined and met a few new faces. We'll have to go out and climb again over the summer, find me at Pinkham...

Well, that was fun! I've never been blown off my feet and rolled into the krumholtz like a tumbleweed before.:eek:
…..
jason
That final ~quarter mile leading to South Twin sure was entertaining. Sue commented on how the wind was tossing her around. Mike lost his hat to the wind. Looking back I’m disappointed for not stopping at the first sheltered place on the final approach to the summit. From there I could have gotten some nice video of everyone's arrival and crawl across the summit (assuming I could set the camera properly). :confused:

Has it been that long? I'll work to keep the intervals shorter this year.
…..
As far as I can tell, our last hike together was when you got your current avatar. By the way, nice picture! ;)

…..
Earl, et. al, wished to have joined and met a few new faces. We'll have to go out and climb again over the summer, find me at Pinkham...
Clarke – find you at Pinkham??? I enjoy a good scavenger hunt. :rolleyes: I’m sure we’ll be in that neighborhood multiple times this summer. :cool: