Theory on "levels" of peakbagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Kittredge said:
now have only 8 relatively long and/or boring ones left (Cabot, Waumbek, Hancocks, M and S Carter, Zealand and Owl's Head). I don't care when or if I ever finish them.

The ones that never rose to the top of my list, and therefore became all that was left for years and years, were Cabot and Owls Head. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by both -- they were great hikes.

So...no excuses! ;)

Bob Kittredge said:
That profile fits me pretty well...

except that I never committed myself to doing all 48. My goal was mainly to do a "respectable number" and establish my credentials as an experienced hiker. Consequently, I concentrated on the "interesting" ones first and now have only 8 relatively long and/or boring ones left (Cabot, Waumbek, Hancocks, M and S Carter, Zealand and Owl's Head). I don't care when or if I ever finish them.
:mad: Grrrr!! :mad: Mt. Hancock is one of the coolest mountains in the whole WMNF. The standard approacch is pretty FWIW. The Hancock Notch Trail is a blast. If you want to do Hancock sometime via a "non-standard" approach, PM me.

FWIW, Zealand is wicked fun. I did a loop going up FW Tr. to Hale, over to Zeacliff/Zealand and out on Twins. Really nice trip. Views from Zealand Ridge are decent. Zealand has a cute sign.

Ridge walk between Waumbek and Starr King contains some of the prettiest moss covered trees I've seen in the Whites. I enjoyed this hike in winter. There are interesting views from Starr King and Waumbek.

Middle Carter is nice, especially if you go to N. Carter or Mt. Lethe. Imp Face is along the way and spectacular. South Carter area has cool views to Carter Dome.

Cabot is on my list. I can't wait to do an entire Kilkenny Ridge Traverse.

Not saying you need to complete the list. I could care less... I wonder myself how long it'll take. That said, those are some good mountains you listed there.

All the 4000'ers are worthy of a trip and many if not most are worthy of multiple trips. It's easy to get caught up in looking for different approaches etc. for the bigger mountains.

-Dr. Wu

The lists give me a great excuse to give my wife when I want to go hiking. I like them because I don't have to think that much when it comes time to finding new places to go.

I hit my real push when I was finishing the NE100. I hiked nearly every weekend for the last 22, even driving 906.5 miles in a weekend to bag 5 new peaks (Boston>CannonBalls>Boston>Breadloaf/Wilson>TheWeeks>Boston). I also hiked all but 2-3 of those last 22 in the rain or snow (beautiful sunny day for #100!). I still had a blast. Right now, I'm in a peakbagging slump, but I could care less. I'm still getting out and loving it. I just needto be creative when I tell my wife I'm going hiking on a peak she knows I;ve done a bunch of times. "Hon, I've never been UP Israel Ridge before!" :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much in line with jmegillon149's table.

I became hooked after around eight or nine 4Ks in NH, then proceeded to go crazy from there to about 30. Ever since 30, I've lost the sense of urgency in finishing (what's the rush????). I've done more repeats this year than new ones, and I am now planning to wait for a few friends to catch up on their 48K list so that we can all finish together (and head straight to the Woodstock Inn!!!!).

Might be a little while though, as the friends are at 7, 8, 9, 12 and 19 I think :rolleyes:

Change in plans

My method of peakbagging is a bit more planned out than most. It started as a once a year hiking trip on my birthday (first day of summer) with a whole bunch of friends. Then I found a list. I love lists! My husband will tell you I am the queen of lists. List for this, list for that. Sometimes I wonder if the 4k list is ruining the relaxation time for me.
So we've moved from once a year to once a month starting in May through October. In the beginning of the year, when cabin fever sets in, I start planning out what trips I want to try. Sometimes I get a bit carried away and want to take on more than I probably should. Fortunately the voice of reason (one of my best hiking buds actually) will come in and tell me that "no I can't physically complete the 40 mile loop I want to in one weekend.
At the moment I've only complete 10 of the WM 4ks. Some friends have gotten the hiking bug and have asked that I do some of the "easier" hikes so that they can join me. Even got one of my girlier girl friends out backpacking for a weekend. Still don't know if she liked it.
So going back to the original post after my rambling. I'm all psyched up right now to get out and hike. We'll see where I'm at 10 - 20 peaks later.
jen

jeanvabu said:
... Then I found a list. I love lists! My husband will tell you I am the queen of lists.

LOL, I won't claim to be the King of lists, but I sure do like them!

I'm working on an article for Peeks (The magazine of the ADK 46'ers), which deals with my list obsession. Since it hasn't been published yet, rather than post it here, I will provide 'preview' copies on request. The article is still a work in progress, so editorial comments are welcome as well.

I too put off finishing the list. I honestly felt like it was an arbitrary bunch of peaks so slated by some self appointed group of arrogant victorian elitists. I started hiking to get away from conformity and deadlines, not to embrace it!
I had been hiking in NH for about 5 years before I even counted the 4000ers I had seen. It was something like 18. I slowly started to realize I was more interested in the list and how it came to be. I eventually read some history of the White Mountains, the AMC and any Guy/Laura Waterman I could find. The big lesson I got was this; the lists were created ,in part,so that people would spread out and see different areas of the mountains.
(Hey if that means when I climb Lafayette I see 200 people instead of 300, fine with me).
A few years ago I finally got around to ,slowly finishing the 48. In the snow at that little sign in the woods on top of Cabot I wondered how to feel. I was proud I guess but empty too. I went down to The Horn and looked for divine inspiration. I was free. I had no mountain I needed. It wasnt until a few days later when I remembered The Horn and the Bulge are both NE100 Highest.
I am now a full fledged listaholic. NE67 & NE100 are close for me now and I am not ashamed. I will get back the ADK's too. I love NY. However, I am not ruled by these lists. I have gone back many times over to my favorite mountains and trails regardless of their status.
I completely understand the notion of going where you want. I also know the feeling of "needing" a peak. Both of these positions have merit.
I feel it is important to not be ruled by the lists whether you are under some number or over it; Hike Today.

The list of NH 48 for me was a wonderful thing. It had a starting point and an ending point. It was a goal clearly defined and helpful to someone like me who was not a hiker and needed some guidelines to get to the point where I felt comfortable to later get "out there" and do whatever I wanted to do. I figured that as long as I had "the list" I was doing fine. It was like following a map and I could gauge myself as I went along.

For me, the 48 had a different purpose. I started this May with the intention of doing them all for my Dad, who at 85 might not be around too much longer. When I finished in August I felt both relief and sadness. I had delivered the gift I wanted to give my father, but suddenly a sense of intense purpose was over. Afterwards the intensity was missed, but for those three months I was of a single-minded purpose. I didn't get sick; my injuries did not keep me from the trail; I was fixated on finishing. It was an obsession. For three months everything I had went into getting up to the mountains each weekend. It was simple and it was focused. When the obsession ended, I fell into an abyss of sorts. I became a little depressed. I came down with the flu. The aches and pains that had accumulated over the prior three months made it difficult to hike as much in the following month and in some cases made it even difficult to stand when first getting out of bed.

On top of the physical ailments of overuse there were mental and emotional challenges too. Years ago a study was done on marathon runners and Ironman-distance triathletes who were in training for one specific race. Once the race was over the majority of them experienced something akin to postpartum depression. When you are obsessed with the list as I was, and some others are, this is the pitfall that awaits the finish of the 48th.

I can remember getting to number 42 or 43 and seeing the end so clearly in reach and getting sentimental about it, as if I didn't want it to end. I wrote this before, and believe it even more now, that for me, submitting myself to the list gave me a chance to become something I hadn't been before, it gave me something greater than myself to surrender to.

Now, I look at my hikes differently. I hike what I want to hike and when I want to hike. One of the posters/hikers out here who most intrigues me is Dr. Wu, whose exquisite sense of adventure and play is something many of us could do with more of. Now that I'm done with the 48 I plan on playing a lot more in the mountains and letting my sense of adventure take over.

For me, the list was needed to get me started, and to get me to the point where I am now. Which is a place Joseph Campbell wrote about at great length when he defined "Hero's Journey" in his book, The Hero With A Thousand Faces. The quest, he argued, is not over when one accomplishes his or her goal, finds the buried treasure, rescues the damsel in distress, saves his family or friends, (or finishes the list of 48). The quest, he argued, was not complete until the person on the quest not only gets what he or she was looking for, but then finds a way to integrate all that was learned or gained along the way to help make the world, the city, the community or family a better place...the treasure must be shared with others. Having finished my quest, I now find myself bringing other newcomers to the mountains and watching them get hooked on the outdoors and in my little community, where I wrote about my chase of the 48 quite frequently, I have discovered there are many others who are now enraptured with the idea of losing themselves in the mountains. For them, just as it was for me, the list is a fine introduction to the mountains and adventures awaiting all of us who were previously ignorant to their pleasures.

But to address the original post, I was obsessed before the first 4,000-footer of the year. I was obsessed once a friend put the Smith/Dickerman 4,000-Footer book in my hands over the winter.

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
I'm working on an article for Peeks (The magazine of the ADK 46'ers), which deals with my list obsession.

Hey Tom - good luck on getting your article published, but I'm just curious as to whether you saw the "President's Page" blurp in the latest issue of Peeks. Among the gems from our current 46R president were the following quotes:

1- "I envisioned sharing a campsite with a gaggle of overly enthusiastic middle-aged peak baggers and a troop of sweaty, cranky Boy Scouts."

2- "The top of Marcy was, as expected, dotted with small, self-absorbed clusters of climbers."

I was blown away. Is America's first peakbagging club really trying to be better than other peakbaggers out there (as well as Boy Scouts)? I have loved the 46Rs for a long time, but I've been noticing a distinct tone of snootiness lately.

My son and I hike, canoe, or explore just whatever we want at that time. We haven't finished the 46 yet and we climbed the first one abut 9 years ago. Only at 29 so far. But we've gone back to favorite lakes aand trails and smaller mountains thorughout the entire Adirondack Park a gazillion times since he was two (15 years ago). I'd never trade the wonderful days I spent this spring portaging the canoe into Duck Hole and spending time with friends for a check off a list. For me the list is good, but enjoying everything about the Park is better. I'd only been to Lake Placid area to go fishing with my father until the day I took Paul up Cacade and Porter. It was the little guy who declared he wanted to become a 46er while looking out at the range. For me the list is a guide so I make sure I get to see most of them. Do I want to finish? Absolutely, I'd be disapppointed if I couldn't. Is there a hurry? Only before he goes off to college.

I yellow lined (don't you guys find it hard to read the map through red highlighter???) my maps for years. Heck I even transferred my yellow lines when a map wore out and looked like swiss cheese from all the folds wearing out. I love to look at a map and let my eye "see" and remember all those places I've been to. A yellow liner's nightmare: A new trail is made when I'm too old to hike.

Enough rambling. The bottom line seems to be that whether we go to the mountains to wander or we go to complete a list, we're all loving where we are.

Mark S said:
Hey Tom - good luck on getting your article published, but I'm just curious as to whether you saw the "President's Page" blurp in the latest issue of Peeks. Among the gems from our current 46R president were the following quotes:

1- "I envisioned sharing a campsite with a gaggle of overly enthusiastic middle-aged peak baggers and a troop of sweaty, cranky Boy Scouts."

2- "The top of Marcy was, as expected, dotted with small, self-absorbed clusters of climbers."

I was blown away. Is America's first peakbagging club really trying to be better than other peakbaggers out there (as well as Boy Scouts)? I have loved the 46Rs for a long time, but I've been noticing a distinct tone of snootiness lately.

I did read that article. It's only one person's opinion, albeit the President, but she is not writing 'ex-officio'. I suppose you could read it as snootiness. Not to put too many words in her mouth, but...

1- I think she was just trying to conjure up a worst case scenario.

2- I'm sure it was. I was in one of those clusters last summer. I'm not sure what to make of this statement. What are we 'supposed' to do up there?

Interestingly, last summer I also met the then-current VP of the 46R's. He was not snooty in the least, and we shared the summit of Algonquin for a few minutes, discussing hiking and VnB, a concept he heartily approved of! :D

Mark S said:
Is America's first peakbagging club really trying to be better than other peakbaggers out there (as well as Boy Scouts)? I have loved the 46Rs for a long time, but I've been noticing a distinct tone of snootiness lately.

The club sees itself as an environmental organization, before a 'peakbagging' organization. As such, it does not encourage, recognize, advedrtize, support, etc fastest, youngest, something-est, etc.

From the club's 'mission statement'

The membership of the Adirondack Forty-Sixers Inc. consists of hikers who have climbed to the summits of the 46 major peaks of the Adirondacks. The club is dedicated to environmental protection, to education for proper usage of wilderness areas and to participation in work projects in cooperation with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation to meet these objectives.

'Proper usage of WILDERNESS areas' is a big thing there. In thinking of the mountains as 'wilderness', it means not thinking of it as a recreational area.

For example, the club does not encourage large groups celebrating finishes on the summit. In fact, it is discouraged.

To some that is snootiness.

jmegillon149 said:
1. Peak 10-15 is about where people get the urge to really start bagging,

2. 10-35 is when people are really in the zone; by the zone I mean they wouldn't think to hike a small mountain like Chocurua or a repeated 4K, they must do a "new one". This is also when people start picking their final one.

3. Around 35, the end is in sight, so why rush it,

4. Post-48 it seems to be a good variety of folks, some are bummed, and not sure what to do.

I've always been "different, " so it doesn't surprise me that I don't fit your mold. I got the desire to "bag" peaks prior to number 1. My best friend and I love to hike and decided to begin bagging the 48 peaks just because we thought it would be fun. We started with East Osceola while it was still covered in ice and snow, and surprisingly we stuck with it.

I'm at #22 now (thanks to Sticks for helping me bag the last 5), and I still like hiking smaller mountains. Sticks and I did Mt. Monadnock last Saturday and I continue to hike North Pack regularly. I like hiking for hiking, not because of bagging peaks. I'm enjoying the journey and don't feel a need to rush it. I have no idea what #48 will be yet. I just know which 22 it won't be. But I do know exactly what I'll do after reaching #48 - I'll continue hiking! Probably many of the same peaks, especially those that I really enjoyed the first time around. I love hiking to the rhythm of my own pace...

I just don't see how taking a cheap shot at "middle-aged peakbaggers," "cranky, sweaty Boy Scouts" and "self-absorbed climbers" has anything whatsoever to do with promoting the long-standing 46R tradition of environmental stewardship.

Anyway, the statements are what they are and I suppose anyone can draw their own conclusions about the direction of the Club from them. And regardless of how the Club now views itself, it did start the whole peakbagging thing ... so why shy away from it.