Transporting bikes and canoes on Outback ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
We have a 2012 Outback and the Yakima roof racks that fit our other car doesn't work on an Outback. And with 2 pack canoes to transport the Outback rack is too narrow.

Does Yakima make an attachment that hooks on to the Subaru Outback cross bars so we can use the existing bars, locks, and gunwale blocks that we have?

Also, does anyone use trailer hitch a bike rack on their Outback? I know that the hitch part needs to be installed, but we're looking into the vertical bike rack that slides into the hitch. Are they any good? Would rather not have to horse the heavy Mtn Bike up onto a roof rack and the metal clips on the bike rack we have scratch the car.
Thanks

We use some combination of these Mighty Mount adapters to attach Yakima bike holders to round cross bars and then the cross bars onto our Durango's raised roof rails (not into channels). I had to go to a good local bike shop to have them tell me what I needed. I could send pics if that would help. They've worked great for years, though the bikes have gotten heavier and more ackward to lift on and off :eek:. I don't trust those hitch mount carriers, but plenty of people use them.

I use Thule Crossroads 450s on my 3rd Gen Outback and then I use the longer thule crossbars in the 450s. I presume Yakima has the same getup...

The 450s use a rubber coated metal bar that is somewhat flexible. If you have a 4th gen Outback, you might want to ask Subaru if those retractacble crossbars are structural enough to use as a roof rail (like the 3rd gen outbacks). If they are, then you should be able to use it. If not, then complain like a madman to Subaru or just wait for the Crosstrek to be out for sale and buy one of those as they use the 3rd gen idea of a roof rail.

Jay

trailer hitch bike rack

I have a 2013 Outback which should be about the same as yours. I have a 1 1/4" trailer hitch with a Thule 917XTR T2 rack mounted to it. I have traveled about 6,000 miles with a mountain bike and a cross bike on it. I have travelled on dirt roads and paved roads without a hitch (pun intended). I just set the bikes in the rack, push the bar down on the rack and lock the strap on the back tire. Takes less than a minute to load both bikes without lifting anything more than knee high. I can access my rear hatch without dropping the bar holding the bikes. If I want to open it all the way then I drop the bar holding the bikes and they tilt away from the car enough to open the hatch all the way. The trailer hitch was installed by Subaru dealer when I bought the car. I forget how much and am not at home until later in the week. I can email you what it cost and what I paid for the rack if you want some comparisons.
I found a great source for looking at various racks was You Tube, tons of videos on different racks. There is a 2 inch version, a Thule 916XTR T2, which can take a mount for an additional 2 bikes. This option only works with the 2 inch version. I had a different car before with a 2 inch hitch that I carried 2 bikes on in a hitch mount. It was a Yakima and worked fine. I did have to tilt the bikes down every time I wanted to access the rear hatch. How much of an annoyance this is depends upon the weight of the bikes.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions on it. I can't help you on the canoe mounts as I have not looked at mounting my canoe or kayak but will do it with something designed for the Outback.

Jay's point re structural integrity is a good one. Having NOT verified the Durango's :eek: here's pics of what the cross bar and bike rack connections look like for me:

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

I just lash two 60 inch (1 canoe) or 75 inch (2 canoes) 2x4s to my factory Outback racks. (The 2x4s have small blocks attached that sit just inside of the front-back rails on the factory rack to keep the 2x4s centered.) I then lash the boats down to the racks (rigger's hitches are your friend...) and tie the bow and stern to the 4 towing points under the bumpers.

I have carried one bike in the back of the car (with the back seats down)--never needed to carry a bike on the outside.

Doug

I have used a 1-1/4" hitch mount bike rack on a Volvo wagon for years. The rack that I have is universal as it has options for both 1-1/4" & 2" receivers. I am very comfortable with this setup. I was able to install the hitch myself, it was quite simple and I installed really quickly. The hitch was purchased online specifically for the car and it came complete with mounting bolts. All necessary mounting holes were already in the frame. It was quick as there was no need to mess with any wiring. Hidden Hitch & Draw-Tite are popular brands. There are even installation videos available online.

I can't help you on the canoe mounts as I have not looked at mounting my canoe or kayak but will do it with something designed for the Outback.

I don't think canoes or kayaks would do greatly with a hitch. unless you have a P/U truck, then you can get one of those T extensions that mounts to a hitch and put the kayak/canoe in the flatbed. Most touring kayaks and canoes are way too wide to be using a hitch which is why the roof rack is there.

I pretty much do what DougPaul does with bikes, I just toss them in the back. I will put blocks down so the bike is not just restiing on the cranks. I have a fork mounted bike carrier and a upright bike carrier but generally, I just toss my bikes in the back.

Jay

I don't think canoes or kayaks would do greatly with a hitch. unless you have a P/U truck, then you can get one of those T extensions that mounts to a hitch and put the kayak/canoe in the flatbed. Most touring kayaks and canoes are way too wide to be using a hitch which is why the roof rack is there.
I have seen canoe trailers that are racks that can carry 8-10 canoes, but they are better suited to commercial haulers than to private individuals. 1 or 2 boats fit nicely on a roof rack.

Doug

We also bought a 2012 Subaru Outback. And, thanks to an on the ball clerk at REI, discovered that Yakima does make a "landing pad 12 (http://yakima.com/shop/racksystems/factory-tracks-or-rails/landing-pad-12) " and "control towers" (http://yakima.com/shop/racksystems/factory-tracks-or-rails/control-tower). It involves taking off the Subaru factory cross bars. So, that's how we now transport bikes, kayaks, and the rest of our toys using the Yakima components that we already had.

IMG_0084.jpg
Subaru Outback factory cross bars removed and Yakima landing pads bolted in.

IMG_0085.jpg

Subaru Outback with Yakima cross bars, ready for bikes, canoes, or kayak attachments.

Last edited:
I have seen canoe trailers that are racks that can carry 8-10 canoes, but they are better suited to commercial haulers than to private individuals. 1 or 2 boats fit nicely on a roof rack.

Doug

Yes, there are canoe trailers, but that would be a whole new category and I haven't seen one yet that wasn't pretty much the cost of a nice rec. yak. I think if you were a welder and had access to stock, it might be a fun project... but most kayak trailers are cost prohibitive unless, as you mentioned, commercial or a big family..

jay