Trapper John Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
Would anyone know the history of the site where Trapper John Shelter is located?? There is a huge old stone fireplace there, much bigger than the one on Starr King..thanks Lefty E

There was an old DOC cabin on the spot, many years ago. The shelter was built in the 70's, so the cabin dates from the 40's I think.

There used to be several year-round homes up that way, and there are cellar holes and lots of stone walls scattered through the woods. I don't know who Trapper John was, but I believe someone lived up there in the first half of the last century. I vaguely remember as a kid (early 1970s) seeing the cabin associated with that fireplace, which must have burned or collapsed soon after. In the early 1800s one of the Lyme's main roads passed by the Trapper John cabin and over the saddle between Bear Hill and Holt's Ledge. Although now completely overgrown and forested, the old roadway can still be discerned, especially where it is lined on both sides with stone walls. Some old Dartmouth Outing Club markings can also be seen on trees along the old road, as the Appalachian Trail used to pass that way. The old road crosses the side trail to Trapper John shelter. Follow the old road up about 50 yards from that intersection and you will see a foot-treadle sewing machine rusting away in the undergrowth.

On Appalachian Trail land just below Trapper John's there is a cellar hole for a farm that was occupied up until the 1950s. Some old timers in Lyme still remember the kids who used to have to hike down the hill to catch the school bus every morning. Up until Thursday of this past week there was a circa 1920s Ford perched where it had crashed on a stone wall by the old farmstead. Some idiot doing maintenance on the Dartmouth Skiway access road through AT land decided to drag the car off the wall with his backhoe.

Last edited:
TJ Shelter

Yes I was aware TJ was a Dartmouth grad...like a cous of mine, Lee Gallant, 72...we explored Smarts and Hexacuba on Friday and Velvet Rocks and Trapper John on Saturday..must return for Moose Mt shelter..thanks for the trail beta Jason you were right on your trail condition, like I will be this Wed up on the Mahoosuc from Hayes to Trident Col...!

somewhere I have a photo of that sewing machine....can't find it at the moment...

Jason, if you find the photo, please do post it. I should go up there myself and take a photo. I am still kicking myself that I didn't photograph the 1920s car-on-a-wall before it was destroyed.

Not that any vandals are reading this but . . . the Antiquities Act strictly prohibits damaging or removing any human artifact older than 50 years on federal land.

Trapper John

Peaks you got it!! but you also forgot the later TV series "Trapper John, MD"..hint hint he was "Adam" on "Bonanza..."

Peaks you got it!! but you also forgot the later TV series "Trapper John, MD"..hint hint he was "Adam" on "Bonanza..."

Pernell Roberts, but that had little to do with the original character.

There actually is a specific reason the shelter was named after Trapper John, beyond the fact that the character went to Dartmouth. It's actually outdoors related.

Trapper John

Pernell Roberts, but that had little to do with the original character.

There actually is a specific reason the shelter was named after Trapper John, beyond the fact that the character went to Dartmouth. It's actually outdoors related.

Ok I give up could you tell us the reason??

Egads, the book "Appalachian Trail Names: Origins of Place Names Along the A.T. by David Edwin Lillard" doesn't even mention the McIntyre-went-to-Dartmouth connection!

There are a few places in America, such as Truth or Consequences, NM, named for television shows. This shelter, built by the Dartmouth Outing Club, follows in that tradition. It was named for Trapper John McIntyre from the novel, film and the TV series M*A*S*H. Apparently, someone really liked the show and the character.

I read this a bit too quickly and thought it said "outhouse related". :p

In the book "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine" which came out right before the shelter was built, it was mentioned that Trapper John was a member of the Dartmouth Outing Club. While in Korea he wanted to steal a helicopter and plant the DOC flag on top of Everest so that the first climbers up there would find it waiting for them. That was enough to get a shelter named for him.