Trish and Alex story to be published by Broadway Books

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW I mean just SUPER WOW!!

That is so so cool and very special.

Don't rest on your haunches now. Get to work on your next book for 2013. :)

Congrats on your book.I do not know your family or your story, but think I will read your book. I looked at your blog just now and really connected to your daughters distress turning back on a hike and the feelings she felt. The same thing happened to me not long ago on a prominent peak out west. I had to turn back just shy of the summit, not sure if it was the altitude or as I believe now just a off day. I felt really awkward explaining myself to climbers still going up, why I failed to reach the summit on a bluebird day with perfect conditions to summit. I think society has reered us to be focused on success and the expectations we all feel to achieve success can really affect what should be an acceptable bad day. Later that day I sat along the the edge of a outlook and thought," man I have the chance and ability to be out here traveling the mountains, summits or not, I feel successfull just having the chance many never will''. I look foward to reading your story, be well .

Fabulous news. Getting published is not an easy challenge. I'm hoping that you will have a book signing we can attend. Some tips I learned when I had a book newly published in 1996 (The New England Beach Guide) was that I needed to carry with me several pens that I liked signing my name with, have some stock phrases in mind to write down quickly when pressed for time, come up with an abbreviated signature that you will use from now on (I used to write my name out in full, very formally, now I just scribble a likeness), be sure to ask people how to spell their names, as there are many varieties, perhaps even have them print it out on a pad of paper for you to see. And finally, keep more copies for yourself than you think you will need, especially if the print run is small. Best wishes.

Sierra, thanks. Learning when to turn back is important. It feels good to reach the summit, but an ego shouldn't feel bruised if the hike just ain't happenin' on that particular day. Better to turn around and stay happy then to push forward and risk wearing yourself out.

Ellen, thanks for the kind words of advice. :)

Boston Globe article: Sisters bag 48 N.H. peaks with their mom

yay for parents who get their kids outdoors!

Meant to post this earlier in the week, but wanted to check with one of the subjects first (unfortunately access to the full article does require a subscription to the Globe)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...new-heights/qypamgyVKssIL5210Yaq0I/story.html

Every mother wants to be a good one, and most will go any distance in any direction to reach that goal. But for Trish Ellis Herr, 41, of Somerville, looking for an outlet for her then 5-year-old daughter Alex, there was only one way to go. Up. Herr’s book, “UP: A Mother and Daughter’s Peakbagging Adventure,” tells the story of their climb up 48 peaks in the White Mountains, and the bonds their adventures forged.

[Moderator Note]
I merged a separate thread linking to a review of the book with this thread.
[/Moderator Note]