Tunnel Brook Road gated?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing Moosilauke this coming weekend via Benton Trail. I've never hiked this trail before but I've read that they gate Tunnel Brook Road at the bridge in the winter. Does anyone know if the road has been gated yet? If so, how much of a walk is it from the gate to the trailhead?

Thanks!

- Bill

Last edited:
BillK said:
I'm planning on doing Moosilauke this coming weekend via Benton Trail. I've never hiked this trail before but I've read that they gate Tunnel Brook Road at the bridge in the winter. Does anyone know if the road has been gated yet? If so, how much of a walk is it from the gate to the trailhead?

Thanks!

- Bill
I don't know if it's closed yet (my hunch is that it is still open) but was just there about a month ago - I'd guess it's about a mile or 1.5 from the gate, unless I've totally forgotten where the gate is. When you get to the fork bear left up the hill and watch for the hiker sign on the left.

As you may know, there's a brook shortly after beginning/ending the hike - the brook is perhaps 100 yards from the road. This may or may not have any bearing on your plans, but ... sometimes this brook runs rather high, and if you slip at the beginning of a hike it might be a good idea to pack an extra pair of socks.

Kevin

PS - Enjoyed your albums. You're got some good-looking kids. Always helps to have someone check out your gear for you!

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. I did read about that brook crossing and I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about it. I was thinking about wearing my gaitors (even though no snow) to add some protection incase I need to wade through it. With all the rain that we've received recently, I'm wondering if hiking this trail is such a good idea. I wanted to do something different as I've always done Moosilauke from the Ravine Lodge. The Beaver Brook Trail sounded a lot more strenous. Anyhow, glad you enjoyed my albums. Hopefully I'll have some nice Moosilauke pics to post after this weekend. :)

Thanks again,
- Bill

Last edited:
Tunnel Brook Road (Forest Road 7) was open as of a few days ago, and if the current warm weather trend continues, it will likely stay open until the end of NH rifle deer season, Dec. 3.

There was no rain today although more is on the way before the weekend. Steams and rivers are still a bit high. If you start early enough, you'll have time to drive in and check the Tunnel Brook crossing, which is not far from the trailhead, and still choose another route from Ravine Lodge if the water is too high for you.

Bill -

If you've not done Moosilauke via the Glencliff then would recommend it highly. It's an especially good winter route as the trailhead is maintained. It starts via an old farm road, crosses a meadow (the NH Home of the Elderly is nearby) and enters the woods near the upper left of the meadow. Trails are even grades, with no major stream crossings. It's reasonably sheltered until the last 1/4 mile or so. It's a bit more of workout by about 1,000' as the TH is lower. One of my all-time favorite trails. Have seen a few moose along the lower mile or two as well.

As couple of buds maintain the trail, so blowdowns are cleared quickly (thanks Steven and Dr. D -)

Kevin

If you do Glencliff, make sure you do South Peak on your way down, a nice look back at where you've been, plus views of the ponds of tunnel brook.
I've often waded the stream at the base of Benton trail by using two sturdy garbage bags as waders.

This past weekend I talked with a guy who came up Benton and he said the crossing was OK. He crossed on frozen rocks and his boots just got a bit wet. This recent rain may have raised the level, but the ice is probably gone.

The WMNF page seems to be kept up-to-date so you should be able to find out there before your trip, but there's no reason it would be gated this week. Benton is a nice trail, but so are all the others. :)

-dave-

WMNF Trail Fees & Moosilauke

Someone please remind me. Trail fees are required for the Benton Trail, but not the Glencliff. Ravine Rd. if you park at the highway's edge once the gate is closed but not up at the lodge. And at Beaver Brook, or am I totally mixed up on this? Also, what about the Carriage Rd?

bcskier said:
Someone please remind me. Trail fees are required for the Benton Trail, but not the Glencliff. Ravine Rd. if you park at the highway's edge once the gate is closed but not up at the lodge. And at Beaver Brook, or am I totally mixed up on this? Also, what about the Carriage Rd?
This is from memory, so it may be wrong:
Benton - No (used to, now stopped)
Glencliff - No
Beaver Brook - Yes
Carriage Road - No
Lodge - No
Rt 118 in winter - No (used to, now stopped)

-dave-

Tunnel Brook Road?

The WMNF calls it FR 147.
Waumbek, you called it FR 7.
The roads status page lists a road with that name but labels it FR 700.

Is the status page in fact referring to the same road where the Benton Trail is? And if so, what's that road walk like?

When Ray and I did this hike in late November, the stream was running high and the rocks very icy. It was doable with Stabilicers. We also noticed that there was a large log across the stream a bit to the left as you first come to it. It may not be visible from where the trail crosses the stream, but it is there. You can see it from the trail as you approach the stream, if you keep a close eye.

If the stream crossing is difficult, you might want to give it a try.

Marty

And is it still true that it doesn't get gated at 112, but rather about halfway in near the bridge?

marty said:
If the stream crossing is difficult, you might want to give it a try.
I know what you meant, but out of context it pretty much describes why we hike! :)

MichaelJ said:
And is it still true that it doesn't get gated at 112, but rather about halfway in near the bridge?

The gate is just beyond the bridge. The plowed section of Tunnel Brook Road may end before the gate--not an issue right now, sigh--but in any event you can always drive in a mile or so from 112.