Twins and Galehead and Lot's of Friends, 2/6/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 6, 2010: Twins and Galehead

Trails: North Twin Trail, North Twin Spur, Frost Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Gale River Trail, Winter approach and exit (Little River Road, Beaver Brook Wayside Area)

Summits: North Twin, South Twin, Galehead

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Happyhiker (Karen), Davebear, Scoutmaster (Gary), Loanshark (Skip), MikeM, KRobi, Ed’n Lauky, Paradox (John), and me

Friday night I got a call from Davebear letting me know he was interested in joining the hike and carpool. Great! Sue and I were already planning to meet at the Exit 6 Park & Ride for our usual early start and Dave said he would be there. We all met as planned, loaded everything into the truck, and hit the highway north. Just after passing through the Bedford Tolls a warning message appeared on the dashboard – “Battery Not Charging”. This was new. I listened for any odd sounds and didn’t hear anything – with my poor hearing that’s not unusual for me. The other gauges all appeared good and I continued to drive toward Manchester. I decided it might be wise to look under the hood and made a move for the shoulder. Immediately, I realized there was no power steering. A ¾ ton 4WD heavy duty pickup with a diesel engine is a real handful without power steering. At that point I was pretty sure the drive belt was gone. When I found there were no power brakes either it was a definite. A ¾ ton 4WD heavy duty pickup with a diesel engine is a real handful without power brakes. We stopped but I left the engine running and lifted the hood – no drive belt. We decided to return to the start, swap vehicles, and have a slightly later than planned start.

A little later than planned we met Scoutmaster at the Bow Park & Ride and continued north to the hike. Dave made good time and we managed to reach the Beaver Brook Wayside Area on-time. Quite a few people were there and some had already left for Little River Road and their hike. We finished our pre-hike preparation; introductions all around, consolidated gear, and took off for Little River Road. Since there were no “No Parking” signs posted, we hiked from the end of the road instead of Seven Dwarfs.

The first big change I noticed was the new bridge – nice! In a relatively short time we completed the ~1 mile hike in to the actual trailhead. There, we re-grouped and set off on the North Twin Trail. The early conditions were pretty good but not great – cold (-12 degrees), calm wind, and a light overcast. We made our way along the North Twin Trail headed for the third crossing of Little River. The intention was to skip the first two crossings and many before us followed the same approach – the trail is very well tracked out. Along the way we met Jerry Horne, Wildpeaks, and Basil. We managed to leapfrog each other a few times in the course of the hike. The Twins and Galehead as a winter hike is a full day for most folks. In his mid-70’s and going strong, Jerry Horne was out there setting an example for us all. This guy is really amazing.

We cleared the third crossing and the work started. From here to the summit of North Twin was 2.4 miles and 2400 feet in elevation. We started the climb with everybody generally working at their own comfortable pace. In the course of the climb we became a little spread out but that’s not unusual for such a large group. Along the way we passed over, under, and around a number of blowdowns. All were easy to get past. By the time we reached the summit we had two groups with Jerry’s trio in between. I was in the front group and decided to hang around for the others to arrive. The early morning overcast was now gone and we had beautiful sunny conditions but there was a light breeze to make cold a little colder. Since it was still cold and we had some wind I layered up to stay comfortable. Eventually, Jerry came through, and a short time later Ed’n Lauky appeared, and then Happyhiker, Scoutmaster, and Dave Bear. To stay warm, the front group already was on their way to South Twin. We got a few summit pictures, briefly enjoyed the views, and headed for our next target.

Along the way to South Twin we enjoyed views to the summit area and noticed others that were there. I assume it was the front part of our group. The scenery along the North Twin Spur is terrific. There are distance views at multiple places and the trail has sheltered sections that are loaded with snow and ice on the trees. One after another – beautiful winter scenes. Soon we were approaching the South Twin Summit. At this point in our hike the majority of the hard work was done. The day started with ~15 miles and 3900 feet in elevation to work through. When we reached South Twin we had completed 7.1 miles and 3600 feet; in terms of combined distance and elevation we were well past the half-way point and right on plan. We headed down to the Galehead Hut for a lunch break and then our quick up and down of Galehead Mountain. At the hut we found Jerry sitting on the front porch enjoying the sunny conditions. Earlier, the wind was coming from the north and conditions on the hut porch were comfortable. The wind direction changed and was now more from the west. Consequently, our lunch break was a short one.

We set off on the Frost Trail for the summit of Galehead. Along the way we met the front part of our group on their descent. They were approximately half-way back down to the hut when we met them – I’m guessing we were probably half-way up to the summit. Sue was in the front group. She decided to stay warm, u-turned, and climbed back to the summit with us. Along the way we made a quick stop on the viewpoint for some pictures and then to the summit for the checkmarks. With #3 of 3 out of the way all that was left was a downhill trek to Beaver Brook. We all generally re-grouped at the hut and set off on the Garfield Ridge Trail for our exit hike. Soon we reached the junction with the Gale River Trail, made the turn, and headed down. The crossings of the Gale River were a breeze. A short distance before reaching the summer trailhead we pulled out the headlights. From the start it seemed clear the final hour would be done with headlights.

On the hike out we missed the turn to the connector trail that goes directly to Beaver Brook and actually hiked all of the way to Route 3. A couple minutes after reaching the highway, Paradox pulled up and brought DaveBear and Happyhiker back to their vehicles. A few more minutes and KRobi pulled up to give us a warm place to wait for Davebear’s return. And a short time later Davebear arrived with his vehicle and we quickly packed and hit the highway south.

This was another terrific day in the mountains. The trails are all in great shape, there are a few blowdowns along the way but none were difficult to get past, and there was no ice that required crampons or a bypass. The group was a real treat and a pleasure to hike with. It was nice to meet Ed’n Lauky, MikeM, KRobi, and Paradox. Thanks to everybody for a fun day out. And thanks to Sue – you’re getting close!

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
Well, that explains it! I had stopped at Beaver Brook on the way back from Gorham and was going to leave a message on Karen's truck. As I was writing....actually drawing :D.....the message a car pulled up next to me and asked if I was waiting for someone. Turned out it was Paradox. He drove down the road a bit to see if he could get down a new activ logging road and maybe pick folks up (it was gated) so I waited. Then out came Ed and Lauky. While he drove them back I continued waiting around and decided to actually walk down the trails a ways (in my down jacket and overmitts of course (but still in my sneakers...heh heh, I am hardcore, what can I say ;) ). I actually got a phone call from Russ while I was out there which was amazing I even had service. I turned back after going a couple hundred yards and ran back into Paradox. By now I had waited over 45 minutes, so I told Paradox to tell everyone hello for me and left my note on Karen's car.

Brian

Good to meet Sue, Earl, Mike, Ken, and Gary for the first time.

Good to hike with Karen, Skip, Ed’n Lauky, and Dave, again.

I still do not know how I got ahead/by Mike&Sue&Skip&Ken as we were coming down Galehead. They must have slipped into the viewpoint and ducked down while I strolled past. ;)

I uploaded the GPS track to Wikiloc which has my short cut from the summer trailhead for the Gale River Trail to the Beaver Brook Parking area. It is hardly a bushwhack as it is entirely on groomed XC ski trails. I reckon this cut off about .4 miles to the road plus the mile from the Forest Road (Trudeau Rd) to the parking area along Route 3.

Pictures.

hey earl. sounds like you had a good crew and a nice day. i'll look forward to your pictures.

bryan

Thanks for a great day Earl. Lauky and I had a great time. It was the longest I ever had Lauky out in that kind of cold but he did well as long as he kept moving.

A special word of thanks to Paradox for the lift back to the car. That was really special and greatly appreciated.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Well, that explains it! I had stopped at Beaver Brook on the way back from Gorham and was going to leave a message on Karen's truck. As I was writing....actually drawing :D.....the message a car pulled up next to me and asked if I was waiting for someone. Turned out it was Paradox. He drove down the road a bit to see if he could get down a new activ logging road and maybe pick folks up (it was gated) so I waited. Then out came Ed and Lauky. While he drove them back I continued waiting around and decided to actually walk down the trails a ways (in my down jacket and overmitts of course (but still in my sneakers...heh heh, I am hardcore, what can I say ;) ). I actually got a phone call from Russ while I was out there which was amazing I even had service. I turned back after going a couple hundred yards and ran back into Paradox. By now I had waited over 45 minutes, so I told Paradox to tell everyone hello for me and left my note on Karen's car.

Brian
Hey Brian,

Sorry we missed you. Next time we’ll try to make the right turn.

Good to meet Sue, Earl, Mike, Ken, and Gary for the first time.

Good to hike with Karen, Skip, Ed’n Lauky, and Dave, again.

I still do not know how I got ahead/by Mike&Sue&Skip&Ken as we were coming down Galehead. They must have slipped into the viewpoint and ducked down while I strolled past. ;)
….
Thanks John,

You need to be careful with at least one in that group. I don’t want to name any names but she can be a little sneaky.

hey earl. sounds like you had a good crew and a nice day. i'll look forward to your pictures.

bryan
Thanks Bryan,

Another in a line of great Saturdays. We’re really on a run. Here are the pictures.

Thanks for a great day Earl. Lauky and I had a great time. It was the longest I ever had Lauky out in that kind of cold but he did well as long as he kept moving.

A special word of thanks to Paradox for the lift back to the car. That was really special and greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ed,

It was a complete pleasure to hike with you and Lauky. I hope we can get together again soon.

Thanks for another enjoyable day Earl. Always good to hike with old friends and meet new ones. You did a great job of keeping the group together. Hope to see you soon.
Very nice pictures. We were lucky to have perfect view-hike conditions.

Thanks for joining the fun. It's always a pleasure to hike with you. As I mentioned to you, sometimes an Open Call will result in a mixed group that is tough to hold together. We got spread out a couple times and eventually I decided it was best to stay toward the back, which is my usual place.

We had a mix of hiking styles in the group; some enjoyed a fast pace while others preferred a more relaxed approach. The hike was posted as a "Leisurely Pace" and, I made it a point to list the names of the folks planning to attend in case there was anybody that wanted to do something else instead.

The posted plan stated a target time back to Beaver Brook of 6:30pm which was generally in-line with the actual. Us in the back of the bus hit Route 3 just after 6:30pm. I think we were generally on plan all day.

Different people have different comfort zones for hiking conditions. And, different people have different abilities. Safety was most important and I wanted to make sure everybody was safely out.

I really hope to get together with you for another one soon.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Great day up there!!

Special THANKS to Paradox for the lift to Beaver Brook, as we too missed the cut-off. It was getting dark & I was expecting it to be well signed (given the HUGE one on rt. 3 telling you to use the BB lot.) Not that I want big signs out there.

A big CONGRATS to the girl that finished her Winter 4 K on Galehead.:)

One question:

Does Sue really climb every peak TWICE?:confused:

Saturday was a destined to be a perfect day in the woods with a fun crowd to hike with! When I saw the post by Earl I got excited about getting back to North Twin Trail and reaping the benefits of what we had broken out a month ago. Since I had gone up with Russ, Brian and Rob it has seen some use and definitely received hours of trailwork. Thanks to those who cleaned out so many blowdowns and hangers along that path! Nice job!

Earl lives only minutes from me and I figured I would carpool up if room was available to save on gas. Luckily his problem with his truck was close to home and we could grab mine. Unfortunately my truck always looks like I’m leaving for a few weeks, so we had to dispense the items at his place including the grill. So much for a trailhead BBQ! Oh well that wasn’t in the plans but a hike that gives you a workout and an appetite was!;)

The weather, the trail conditions and the skies were only surpassed by the great comradery on the trail! We all had a fun and peaceful day enjoying 360 degree views and a frosted snowscape against azure skies. A bit windy on South Twin but it has to be one of the most beautiful settings in the Whites. After the photo op on top we headed down the steeps to Galehead. Karen quickly left me in the dust as she glissaded around the corners. I could still hear her laughing and screaming most of her trip down!:p

Having heard the story of Kenny Holmes tragedy years ago I stopped to reflect on what he faced out there alone in a freak storm and bitter cold. I took a moment of silence hoping he was blessed with a peaceful passage to his snowy grave. His soul and his story live on with us and it’s a constant reminder that keeps me packing extras like my stove and down jacket on the best of days.

Having friends, new and old, ahead of and behind me on the trail was comforting on the path. Even a few brief words with the iconic Jerry Horne on the porch of Galehead hut seemed to inspire me to kick into the trail a little harder and gain some time up to Galehead summit. I finally stopped to eat and only then realized I had a beard of solid ice!:eek: Once back down to the hut I started to chill in the wind so I headed further below treeline to wait for the group to regather. The long walk out passed by with fun and interesting conversations with the many people sharing the day and soon we were out at Route 3 wondering if we would have a road walk to boot. John “Paradox”, thanks for sparing us the mundane mileage along the road! Nice to see everyone and thanks so much Earl for putting this together!:D

My pics from the day:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/576678961LiHFJK

Pics from North Twin on 1-9-10:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/576678070OlVxVU

Last edited:
Earl lives only minutes from me and I figured I would carpool up if room was available to save on gas. Luckily his problem with his truck was close to home and we could grab mine. Unfortunately my truck always looks like I’m leaving for a few weeks, so we had to dispense the items at his place including the grill. So much for a trailhead BBQ! Oh well that wasn’t in the plans but a hike that gives you a workout and an appetite was!;)
Dave,

Thanks again for joining the fun and being able to drive when my truck left the game. You really saved the day.

Even though I was unable to locate the needed repair parts on Sunday, I'm happy to report today was a better day and the truck is back in service.

Nice slideshow!

:)