Two new 46er on DIX

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
The 46er history dates back to 1937 and it is in 1925 that the first person has reached the 46 highest peaks of the Adirondack. For Annie and me, we made our first hike in August 2002. Following a short hike, with a total duration of 40 minutes in a park in Quebec, we fell in love with this outdoor activity. But it is only in the summer of 2004 that were both decided that we were going to become 46er. And today we just reach our 46th summit of our 46: Dix.
After our 45th summit last week, Allen, who has stressed throughout the week, preceded his ascension. I thought after its conquest I could sleep better. But error, more the week advanced I had more excitement. And Thursday during the day, I was so tired, because of my lack of sleep, I was wondering how I was going to reach the summit. But I had better nights of sleep, Thursday and Friday, so my condition has improved. Since last year I decided to finished this list of summits on Dix and invite friends.
It is 4.00h, Saturday morning July 12, we are up and begin our preparations to head to the "Round Pound" parking. The rendez-vous with our friends, was between 7.30-8.00h. We arrive at 7.30h. A few minutes later, Sylvie arrived. Tom Haskins aka "Randomscooter" came to meet us before we left because I had invited him and he could not come with us. About 5 minutes later, Jean and Nathalie, who just returned few days ago from their expedition to the summit of Denali, arrived at the parking. It is 8.05h and we decide to leave even if Suzanne is still not arrived. I said to myself that she will join us later, on the trail. With a few butterflies in the stomach, we began our hike and I said to myself that will be memorable for us. The weather was beautiful, the sky was almost blue but a bit damp. The approach was fairly well and we arrived at the bottom of the slide. We decided to climb by the slide instead of going by the trail, telling us that the trail will cross or that we were going to join it latter, error. We climb it almost at the end and did not know where to go after. We hear peoples, in the trail going down a little farther to the right of the slide. Later we heard it was Nancy, who told me that I will probably meet her on the trail. Too bad it did not happen. We went down a little, we encountered a Ranger and we asked him where the trail is, he told us that it is about 30' from the slide. So we decided to cut through the wood and make a Bushwalck. This portion of forest was pretty tight and narrow, a bit difficult to move. Finally after several minutes and several scratches, we reach the trail. I was not as well prepared technically to this trail. I did not study the map and information enough for this trail. From there began the last portion of the trail and it was fairly steep. We met Jack who was going down from the summit and he was looking after us. We talked a little and he congratulated us in passing. After spending some muddy sections we reached the summit, at 13.27h.
:) :) We are now 46er Whooooo-Hooooo!! :) :)
WOW!! Fantastic view, I am extremely happy that I have set my choice on Dix for our 46th summit. Annie and I, have emotions, because we have just accomplished this challenge. After the congratulations and photos, we open up the champagne Pop that we kept cool until de top! And after an hour of rest and discussion, we start to hiked back to the car.
Sylvie and Neil invited us to the cottage they had rented from Tom. We spent the evening there and eat a little. Neil was supposed to be back there around 19.00h but his expedition with Glenn took longer than expected. We had a beautiful evening at a beautiful place. Drank few beers, we had to celebrate it on a little, ate and talked a lot. Neil left a message on Tom voice box, which he would not be back before 23.00h. It was 21.00, we decide to return to Montréal because we had to drive 2.30h to go back home.
In summary, Dix has allowed us a retrospective of our adventure to become a 46er.
This summary is in a few words, bushwhalck, scratches, mud, black flies, steep trail and sun.
Thanks to Suzanne, Sylvie, Jean and Nathalie who had accompanied us for this memorable day.
Annie and Yvon two new 46er. :)

Yvon, It has been great reading about your discoveries and exploration of your first round! Your sharing of emotions and thoughts during your trips along with the great enthusiasm you show with each adventure is inspiring and refreshing. Alain, would be proud. ;) :)

yvon said:
Neil was supposed to be back there around 19.00h but his expedition with Glenn took longer than expected. We had a beautiful evening at a beautiful place. Drank few beers, we had to celebrate it on a little, ate and talked a lot. Neil left a message on Tom voice box, which he would not be back before 23.00h.
LMAO, every Neil expedition has this outcome. :D It's because Neil plans his routes with a big smile and a crayon instead of a watch! :D :cool: That's how he talks us into joining him!

Cory D

A heart congratulations Yvon, My hike last week to the Dixes was the first time I was on there in non-winter and with views and it did not disappoint. Good choice and sounds like a fun hike with a little of everything...

Jay

WoW!!! Congratulations to you both - I can't wait to see your pictures.

I'm also happy to hear your description of Tom's cabin, because Pam & I have rented it for a few days in August...I'm looking forward to it!

Best wishes to you & Annie!

Scott

una_dogger said:
Congratulations, Yvon and Annie!
I am so happy for you !
How wonderful that you've shared this experience together, from start to finish!

:)

To bad Sabrina that you and MichaelJ cannot be with us yesterday.

Congratulations Annie and Yvon. I wish I had gotten back in time to see you but I got hung up on some cripplebush on the east side of Seymour.

At last!

Seymour has an East side? Congratulations to you, Yvon and Annie! :D I was just up on Dix in mid-March, and the Round Pond trail is my favourite route. Way to go! - Bob

Congrats, Yvon and Annie, on your accomplishment. I've enjoyed reading your trips reports and look forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Way to go Yvon and Annie! Your trip reports are always great and provide a lot of enthusiasm.

I hope to share in your excitement soon. Only 2 left!

Félicitations!

"I already mailed, this morning, our last report to the 46er"

Yvon, thanks to the blood on Annie's knees and to the mud on your legs Dix will count for sure. Probably the best day of the summer of 2008, what a reward for a finish on Dix.