tying tents down - tautline hitch vs guyline tensioners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Har har har! Guy... guylines... I'd been thinking the same thing since he started this thread. :D

Anyway... trucker's hitch again. I'd be willing to bet money a trucker's hitch will pull a line tighter and more secure than anything else mentioned thus far. If you haven't tried tying one yet... what the heck are you waiting for! It's fun!

Things got so much torque you could break stuff with it if you wanted! :eek: :D

"don't know the knot.....tie a lot...."

The sailor in me prefers the "taughtline hitch", or all other names it is known by.
I prefer this on my tent over the Trucker hitch (which I do use a lot for other things) because the taughtline hitch can STAY TIED and be fully adjustable, where the trucker hitch must be partially retied to adjust.

The trucker hitch gains purchase power to tie things down much tighter, like roof-racked toys.
Want even more purchase? Try that same knot with 2 loops and pass the tail back and forth for 3:1 ratio.

All knots have their purpose and beyond. Get to know them before buying into a device.

Anyone doing FOT48 this year should know thier rigging skills as well to fly your flag in all its glory! :)

Jeff-B said:
Anyone doing FOT48 this year should know thier rigging skills as well to fly your flag in all its glory! :)
Or bring lots of Duct tape. This worked incredibly well last year on Adams summit. I had lots of guy line (or is that a gig pack?), but running a bit late I placed the pole on the summit trail post, wrapped a few pieces of duct tape, and it flew proudly for the 2 1/2 hours we were there.

FWIW, trucker's hitch, always. I'm embarrassed to say Shizzy "taut" me that one. (hey, you guys started this :D )

sleeping bear said:
Anyway... trucker's hitch again. I'd be willing to bet money a trucker's hitch will pull a line tighter and more secure than anything else mentioned thus far.
It will--I used to bend boat hulls with them. If you want to do a really nice job, use a butterfly knot (a classic middleman's knot) for the loop.

Doug

DougPaul said:
It will--I used to bend boat hulls with them. If you want to do a really nice job, use a butterfly knot (a classic middleman's knot) for the loop.

Doug

Nice!

I like to do two twists in the rope before pulling it back through for the lop. This makes it easier to get the loop out after the rope has had a lot of tension and/or has been wet and then dried.