VFTT Secret Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Periwinkle said:
Personally tho, I don't think I need a secret sign to be recogized. I'm kinda hard to miss: slow, short, stocky chick, always wearing purple. Think Violet in Willy Wonka. :D
Even if you had a picture of you in your avatar (That's not a picture of you in your avatar, right?) I couldn't recognize you on trail. I can never recognize anyone from their picture because most people look different than the "pose" in the picture. A description is even worse though... as far as I'm concerned you could've described me! slow, short, stocky chick, always wearing purple -- Yeah! Well, that's how I'd describe myself at least and see, you'd never know it was me!

There's gotta be something that we can all agree on. Maybe we should all bring a nerf football and the 'secret sign' when we meet someone on the trail is to punt it in the woods. Nobody would ever mistake that for something other than member of VFTT.

-Dr. Wu

Perhaps some folks on this forum may want to hide the fact that they are VFTTers in order to avoid ruining the reputation of the entire group. Just last week, while driving from the Whites to Baxter State Park on a one way dirt road in a construction zone, I was cut off by some jerk in a Green Subaru Wagon with Massachusetts Plate #9769 H2 . As the offending party raced passed me, I saw the VFTT sticker in his rear window. I have not met, nor hiked with anyone from this board yet, but watching someone behave like that and put himself and myself in danger with his reckless driving certainly did not make me eager to meet any more VFTTers.

Nah, it just had to be a Quebecker. We all drive that way.

Brownie said:
So, no matter where you are, in a supermarket, outdoor sporting goods store, the office, the local dump, the subway or....the trails, you can be sure to identify the gang sign! :)

I hope I don't wear the wrong colours and get thrown off the mountain! :eek:

-Shayne

Last edited:
JPD1600 said:
Perhaps some folks on this forum may want to hide the fact that they are VFTTers in order to avoid ruining the reputation of the entire group. Just last week, while driving from the Whites to Baxter State Park on a one way dirt road in a construction zone, I was cut off by some jerk in a Green Subaru Wagon with Massachusetts Plate #9769 H2 . As the offending party raced passed me, I saw the VFTT sticker in his rear window. I have not met, nor hiked with anyone from this board yet, but watching someone behave like that and put himself and myself in danger with his reckless driving certainly did not make me eager to meet any more VFTTers.

Even though you appear to be a Yankee fan from Queens, I will forgive you (see my profile), since you seem to have been wronged.

It seems some are making light of your narrow miss (even if they are casting aspersions on themselves). I certainly hope you do not get the impression that we are a bunch of jerks, speeding madly down unpaved roads, stopping at nothing to bag as many peaks as possible.

There are over 2,000 users of this board, and that is just the registered users. Anyone can order a sticker. As one of the moderators said a few months ago, even if only 1% of the users are problem children, that still means a 'day care facility' of 20 or more people to baby sit.

Almost all the folks I have met here are good people. I hope you do not let this small statistical sample (1) color your opinion of the rest of us.

As Tom kindly metioned, understanding the realities of the numbers on this board makes it easier to not cast the entire group in a bad light. But, I when make a post and two of the three responses in essence tell me to "f-off" and provide lame ass excuses like "all people from mass drive that way" and "you're lucky he didn't leave you in the ditch", it doesn't help matters any. Perhaps if this driver were beat unmercifully with a hiking pole and then was given the excuse that "all people from New York City are belligerent and over react with swift and blinding violence" or "you're lucky he didn't stab you instead" they might see matters differently.

Regardless, my point is that the moderators (or whoever it is that sells the stickers and patches) may want to consider exacting some measure of control over who they allow to purchase stickers or patches. As one can plainly see here, it only takes the actions of one person to ruin the reputation of an entire group in another's eyes.

JPD1600 said:
As Tom kindly metioned, understanding the realities of the numbers on this board makes it easier to not cast the entire group in a bad light. But, I when make a post and two of the three responses in essence tell me to "f-off" and provide lame ass excuses like "all people from mass drive that way" and "you're lucky he didn't leave you in the ditch", it doesn't help matters any. Perhaps if this driver were beat unmercifully with a hiking pole and then was given the excuse that "all people from New York City are belligerent and over react with swift and blinding violence" or "you're lucky he didn't stab you instead" they might see matters differently.

Regardless, my point is that the moderators (or whoever it is that sells the stickers and patches) may want to consider exacting some measure of control over who they allow to purchase stickers or patches. As one can plainly see here, it only takes the actions of one person to ruin the reputation of an entire group in another's eyes.
Whoa Dude, I think people were just trying to diffuse a potentially ugly situation. I don't think it's appropriate to post someone's license plate number here as well. It wasn't me but frankly, I probably would have done the same thing. I think nothing of driving 70, 80 mph on a dirt road and I won't hesitate to cut someone off.

It looks like it's time to close the thread. It's gone off topic & gotten ugly. Thanks.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
It wasn't me but frankly, I probably would have done the same thing. I think nothing of driving 70, 80 mph on a dirt road and I won't hesitate to cut someone off

Like that approach Dr. Wu but please at least don't give the secret sign before you run them off the road.

He was chasing me, I was doing 90 which is what we do in CT in order to get out of CT faster. (Darren, can I buy a sticker to cover my VFTT stickers when I speed) How long would it take to drive from the Whites to BSP on a one way dirt road at 5 MPH. (how would you get back) My Subaru is red anyway. A green one hmmmmm.

I'd agree that listing plates is inappropriate, have an issue with people breaking the law, their are people who take care of that.

On a legit note, how much more bandwidth does a small picture take?

JPD1600, I appreciate your being upset by being cut off, but don't paint all VFTTers as bad drivers with that big brush of yours. Relax - we all visit this site because we enjoy hiking and the outdoors. I'm afraid that I've gotten a poor first impression of you from your words here. I saw some humor in response to your problem, but nobody was telling you to "f-off". Can we start over here? This whole secret sign thread has been light-hearted up to now. Peace man!

AlG said:
JPD1600, I appreciate your being upset by being cut off, but don't paint all VFTTers as bad drivers with that big brush of yours. Relax - we all visit this site because we enjoy hiking and the outdoors. I'm afraid that I've gotten a poor first impression of you from your words here. I saw some humor in response to your problem, but nobody was telling you to "f-off". Can we start over here? This whole secret sign thread has been light-hearted up to now. Peace man!
Maybe Darren can design a new Patch that has a maniac Massachusetts Driver in a car with a VFTT logo on it :p

JPD1600, please don't take offense. I think people would have flamed you if they were really that pissed but in general, this community isn't like that. Post away; enjoy!

See Attachment for details, Darren!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I want to apologize publicly to anyone who was offended by my little joke about Massachusetts drivers (which I was for a few years).

I also want to apologize publicly to JPD1600 if he found my response offensive in any way.

I'd add a joke here, to bring the tension level down a bit, but I'm honestly afraid it might be construed as a lack of seriousness about my apologies. They are serious and sincere. No joke.

Dr Wu, I just looked at your "maniac driver" photo - very funny, but aren't you afraid of offending women, children and golfers?!

Seriously folks, let's keep this thread in the comic vein in which I believe it was intended. I hope nobody has been offended by anything I wrote either.

When passing somebody on the trail, I'm usually so tired and winded that I just say "HI" and leave it at that. If there was a secret sign, or some other way of knowing the VFTT connection, I'm sure that would lead to more conversation. I think that was the original intent of the patch. I bought one, but lost it before I got it attached to my pack. Personally, I think that I'm going to start giving the "peace sign" to other hikers. That is, when I have enough energy to lift my hand!
Peace and Love, my friends. -Bob VH (ALG)

I was going to say this until I saw the bit about Massachusetts drivers; I guess I still am:

==Dr. Wu, you crack me up. Poo, alligator eggs, nose-picks, knife attacks; you are a scream. Personally, I favor the surgery idea the best, but would go for something even sillier, like hair-band imitations or Dan Rather. If we then had a convention, we could vote, or run a reality show, to pick the best Dan Rather surgery.

==I'm from Massachusetts and I thought the first couple of responses right on. On the other hand, it wasn't me in that seat that day. Hey, JPD1600, best wishes, even if you are advertising your Yankee-ness. Dangerous behavior is, well, just that. But be advised, there's weirdness here, in whatever form. Right, Pete?

I don't read too often, and just coincidentally happened on the whole 'charity' thing last week. Strangely, since then, this board's been a howl to read. Check out the avatar twaddle on the site-feedback section and you'll see what I mean.

You guys are the greatest.

Now, then, I remember a question a few months ago about shouting while hiking. Perhaps we could scream 'VFTT' as high and loud as possible every time we come near a stranger. I'll try it at my kids' school tomorrow and let you know if anyone pops up.

Hyar Hyar-ing away the afternoon,

--M.

[edited for typo.]

Brownie said:
However in Maine, as with many other "big rig" states, truckers are allowed to remain in the left lane. If not officially allowed, then surely standard practice.

I don't like it, but NY Law also allows you to remain in the left lane on an Interstate. Certainly not advised, IMHO.

Tom Rankin said:
I don't like it, but NY Law also allows you to remain in the left lane on an Interstate. Certainly not advised, IMHO.
I got a secret sign for you guys in the 'VFTT Driver's Division'... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.