VFTT West Coast 2006 Proposed Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
I have already had several requests to coordinate another trip out west in 2006. Currently I am looking into two possible choices, which is open to other suggestions.

1) Whitney / Shasta (6-8 group size)
2) Shasta / Hood (up to 12 group size)

The Whitney / Shasta choice will require early planning since permits must be at the ranger station on February 1st and no later than February 14th. Also the selection of this choice will reduce our group size since the permits are issued on a lottery basis and larger groups have a harder time getting a block of permits.

I am looking at a June timetable which will allow us to travel mostly in snow and in a cooler environment. If we do get another trip planned, we can use this winter for preparation and practice with everyone planning on going.

I would be interested in reading the replies. Please provide the following information:

1) Climbing Suggestions (other destinations than previously mentioned)
2) Interested parties
3) Suggested dates

Based on feedback, I will detail the planning for the most popular choice before I ask for participants. As before, I will use HighPeaksCimbing.com for all planning and information distribution.

Thanks,
Ed

Good luck if it's Whitney. That lottery can be tough. You might not hear back until the end of March or April, which could make planning tough.

Better chances in June, midweek, since there could still be considerable snow. The more snow, the better your chances are.

I already talked to the rangers concerning the timing of the lottery. They indicated the first batch of entries (received 2/1-14) will be processed beginning on February 15th and notification will be made by the end of March. Of course that leaves a big question mark on how to proceed. Everyday they allow 100 permits. I also would use a mid week choice to raise our chances.

Therefore if we choose this plan, I will ensure the application and permit fees will arrive on February 1st to ensure our greatest chances. A fall back plan will be in place that includes Shasta, Hood and possibly other suggestions offered by interested parties.

Ed,
Lottery system is different for the Mountaineer's route. It's a 6 month rolling system, and I am targeting 6/11 as the start date (full moon) with mailing on 12/11. Shasta has no real issues with permits. I would much prefer the Mountaineer's Route, and likely would opt for Shasta/Hood if I could not get it.

FWIW, I've already figured out that for Whitney/Shasta we fly in to Reno or Sacramento (not much difference in mileage/time). I've been planning also :)

BTW, please reserve one spot for me. I'm in if you'll have me.

Guinness said:
Therefore if we choose this plan, I will ensure the application and permit fees will arrive on February 1st to ensure our greatest chances.

If I were doing the lottery again, I'd shoot for the middle of the time period-- like Feb. 7th instead of the 1st. I faxed my permit application over on Feb. 1 this year and it was processed on the day they announced the lottery was over. I am thinking the Feb. 1 applications were at the bottom of the pile as it seemed everyone that I talked to that sent in at the end of the lottery period got what they wanted and the early birds did not. (Admittedly, this is a small sample... and may not have been the case, but that is the impression I was left with!) :)

Just my two cents!

I would love to do a Shasta/Hood trip... but I am probably not strong enough for your team. Perhaps one day!

- Ivy

If the trip leads into Whitney via mountaineers route I would like to be included, still feeling bruned from the Shasta mishap. Has anyone considered Williamson the real mountaineering challenge of the high sierra? Sheperds Pass looks really tough. Hood would also be great peak to bag, I am trying to climb all of the Cascade Volcanoes.

You can count me in as interested again in this trip, the usual variables apply. I would do either trip as well.

I am beginning to like roped travel even though initially, I was kind of skeptical that I'd enjoy it or not.

Jay

This Year I applied for the Mountaineers Route (group of 2) climbing date of late July (3 days). Did not hear back until mid April, got denied. Shasta became the fallback plan after finding out Williamson is closed to hikers after July 15th. After visiting Shasta I would prefer to climb in mid/early July when the snow is at its best on the mountain, this would also allow for perfect pack up Casaval and Sargreants Ridge. After the Shasta mishap I was still able to attempt 4 peaks and summit 3. June looks like the best month for climbing in California.

Its very frustrating to wait for the permits.

I'd love to give Shasta another shot, as well as the MR on Whitney. We faxed our application with 3-4 alternate dates the day the lottery opened. About a month and a half later found out all choices were rejected :(

Regardless, I have a feeling we'll be back in California next year anyway :)

I could be very interested. I think what I'd like is to talk to you about the relative difficulties and technicalities, as well as the cost, at the ADK BBQ in two weeks. Unless that's too late, in which case we can do it by email...

Count me in for either trip Guinness, but my preference would be Whitney/Shasta....unless we could pull off Whitney/Shasta and Hood??

And I have the same question as giggy...what happened to that rest you were gunna take? :)

Has anyone considered the Sisters in Oregon? The traverse looks great. In addition there are other peaks in California that are much more of a challenge including Ritter and Humphreys. Is this to bag numbers? or to overcome great mountains?

Guinness,

Alright...If I have to....just to be polite...only if I don't have to be roped behind Sherpa...it's a bit wiffy back there.

COUNT ME IN!!!!!

ClimbHi

SherpaKroto said:
Ed,
Lottery system is different for the Mountaineer's route. It's a 6 month rolling system, and I am targeting 6/11 as the start date (full moon) with mailing on 12/11. Shasta has no real issues with permits. I would much prefer the Mountaineer's Route...

OK, this year was an extra snowy year, but when I was there (6/19) the Mountaineers route required ice climbnig gear. Be prepared for a technical route if you go that early.

SherpaKroto said:
FWIW, I've already figured out that for Whitney/Shasta we fly in to Reno or Sacramento (not much difference in mileage/time). I've been planning also :)

I flew into Vegas, and acclimated in Death Valley, before a (long) day trip.

I've been on both hills. Guess I was lucky as I had no problems with permits. Actually for Whitney, just showed up the day before and got one, so did a friend on a separate occasion. Luxury of living out there.

Another buddy did the mountaineers route in june. He is a mountaineer by NO MEANS. his report was soft snow, basic travel....

Life may have me in CA this december/jan in which case I will likely head up both hills. I think winter will be a very fun time to do it.