Waltham brews anyone??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The highlight of the night is sure to be the jovial interplay between the New Yorkers and New Englanders, what with the Sox-Yankees game on the bar TVs.
;)
jovial interplay. love the terminology. GO YANKS!

Did I say I might come to this? No? Well, in that case, I might come to this.

Street parking is really not a problem at most trailheads.

There's a trailhead here directly below Boston Rock and Little Prospect - just go uphill when choosing trails. Actually, "just go uphill" is good for street navigation too - you're bound to find a trailhead.

(Note that prospect hill road is gated at the south end of the park.)

Won't be home early enough to join the hike, y'all try to describe it for me when I get to the bar.

PS I have noticed some drainage work at that trailhead lately...

Narteb
The plan is to meet at my house in the highlands neighborhood and walk into the southern end where there is no public parking at any of the trailheads

This is a squeeze in hike

Driving around to the totten entrance for 5 o'clock on a weeknight in waltham would be a gridlock nightmare and eat up the limited time we have, but thanks for your input.

Sorry you can't make it this time!

Last edited:
Parking near Moody St on a Thursday night, however ...
is actually quite do-able. :D

but if someone can't find a spot or just doesn't want to put in the effort.. i have three off-street parking spaces available. i only charge $6.75 per hour. let me know.

Last edited:
Street parking is really not a problem at most trailheads.

There's a trailhead here ...

No parking there. Its next to a residence and on the "Private drive--no through traffic" section of Prospect Hill Rd road. That's one of the entries I use when I walk to the park, and I checked out the parking situation tonight to be sure.

There is ample public parking within the park boundaries at the Main Entrance off Totten Pond Rd, for those who are interested in visiting this awesome little park!

Its looking like a 70% chance of rain for tommorrow, so I'm thinking its safe enough to call this one now.

I'll see ya'all at the Bah at about 6pm.

Last edited:
Unless otherwise posted, parking is permitted on any residential street in Waltham (but not between 2AM and 6AM [not enforced much except in winter]). If PHR is really a private drive (I ride my bike so don't pay too close attention, but don't recall any sign), then park twenty feet away on Upland, Woodland, or Wyola.

Unless otherwise posted, .

Generally a rule on the city website but YES check the signs where you are at -- its a tight neigbhorhood up here in the Highlands -- we have a sign directly in front of our house that reads "parking only permitted on saturdays, sundays and holidays" and that's only on the opposite side of the street, so those rules are not city wide.

There are a number of streets labelled "private way" up there near those entry points.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse to death, but my point is that for someone searching this site for hiking in Prospect Hill Park, reading your map stating that they can park in that location may be incorrect beta. Parking within the park at Totten Pond is allowed and would save someone the effort of driving around up here looking for parking, only to not find it and have to drive around to the main entrance.

Just sayin'. You can arm wrestle me later if you want.

And now, back to the more important discussion....Beer.

Last edited:
Beating a Dead Horse - Nartreb's parking location is ok

Nartreb's parking spot at beginning of the wood trail appears to be ok. I've been spending time there working on water bar and have observed many cars parked there most of the time. If people didn't like it they'd complain to the city would install a no parking signs there. I've been parking there lately myself to unload my tools. It's a very popular TH because the street forms a natural spot for parking. I've observed as many as 5 cars parked there on a nice weekend. City of Waltham has many traffic laws that are not actually enforced. Having said that it's possible a local resident might complain and cops will ticket. Bottom line I think if small group wanted to park there for a hike one evening prbobaly be ok. Otherwise any number folks could park on my street and walk to Wood Trail in 10 min. (Excepting ferrisjrh who would take 1 min..)

For example people generally park in front of my house. One time someone parked a crappy looking car there "long term". My neighbor couldn't stomach that so he called police and it was towed away. Traffic laws are there as safety valves for abusive type behavior.

Nartreb's parking spot at beginning of the wood trail appears to be ok. I've been spending time there working on water bar and have observed many cars parked there most of the time. If people didn't like it they'd complain to the city would install a no parking signs there. .

Ok, but if the road says Private Drive no Thru Traffic -- I personally would hesitate to park there...kinda like hiking on private property without permission. I am not certain the city would install anything on a private road. I would hesitate to state on a public hiking forum that one can safely and legally park on a small private road just because others do...but that is just me. Maybe someone will call the park and find out the definative answer? It would be good to know...

Last edited:
There is meter parking along Moody St, if you're lucky. If not, head South on Moody St a couple of blocks and look for Parking signs - there are ample metered lots a short distance back on side streets like Spruce.

To satisfy my own curiosity I did call parks rec this am and was told that there is no parking on the section of Prospect Hill Rd, this is the entire length of road from the southern gated park entrance (signed as no parking), this stretch of road alongside the park is signed as a private way, and there is no legal public parking anywhere along its length. It dead ends where Ray has been working, and this area , according to the parks dept is still considered a private neighborhood with no legal public parking. There are a few places where people can enter on foot here.

The parks dept encourages public parking within the park, main entrance on Totten Pond Rd.

That said, I feel very grateful to be in walking distance.

Jazzbo and narteb, I hope that you take my posts in the spirit they have been intended, to clarify the information regarding the legal parking areas. Perhaps as a homeowner in the nieghborhood I may feel a little vested interest in spreading the most accurate info, just as jazzbo feels a a special connection to this nieghborhood gem as shown by his trail work efforts.

Happy trails

Last edited:
I know where the bar is via google maps, but where should I park?
There is a lot and garage, free after 6 PM, behind Watch City Brewery and the other establishments between Pine Street and the river. Go down the street at the corner where WCB is located (Pine Street) and, past the theatre and high rise aprtment building, take a left that leads into the parking area.

You may wish to take the long way to Moody along the river. I've seen great blue herons, night herons and assorted other water fowl fishing below the dam.

Plenty of parking lots. Just drive up Moody and look for the "P" symbols on both the left and right. The biggest is the lot/deck that's behind the movie theater; turn east at the corner where Watch City Brewing is, go past the theater, past a small private lot for an apartment building, then just past said building is the entrance that wraps back to the parking area. You might even get an on-street space as you're heading to the lot, too. Another is a large lot on Crescent. If that's full, look on Chestnut for another lot, or come the other way across the river and park in the T commuter rail lot that extends to either side of the road along the tracks. There are also, of course, spaces right along Moody, if you're really lucky.