"Warm smell of colitas (well, creosote), rising up through the air"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are *we* trying to do *their* job???? They destroyed it, and the pile of debris is a monument to *them* and their *&*&%$^#^#&!!!! (if you'll excuse my language)
Like I said, if we don't do it, who will? We are the people. We are capable. Are we empowered?

didn't take a great picture, but there is also a nice blue tarp just before what remains of the black brook bridge. it's mostly covering old timbers as far as i could tell. also some large metal beams that have been torch cut into smaller pieces.

bryan

Why are *we* trying to do *their* job???? They destroyed it, and the pile of debris is a monument to *them* and their *&*&%$^#^#&!!!! (if you'll excuse my language)
I hear ya. It's not my *job* to pick up Snickers wrappers and discarded bug spray bottles in the woods either, but I do it, as do many others on this board. No biggie.
Billy said:
not simple to carry 15-foot 8x8 beams
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. If they could be sawed in half, to 8' sections, might be a LOT easier to transport. Can you get snowmobiles in the first 3 miles (to the wilderness boundary)?

I hear ya. It's not my *job* to pick up Snickers wrappers and discarded bug spray bottles in the woods either, but I do it, as do many others on this board. No biggie.

I pick up wrappers/etc.

ah, yes, John Galt...... (wondering where his tax dollars went? probably not wondering....)

Last edited:
I'm confused

:confused:

The wood/lumber is (semi) covered with tarps. Why? Are they planning to use it for something in the future?

My guess is that some x-c skier left the small yellow bottle of Equate Medicated Body Powder, but I wonder who left the two 5-gallon Rands paint buckets? Perhaps a base camp cache for winter campers?

As for the bridge removal, I still think that the USFS dismantled it for spite more than anything else.

Just build a cairn out of the timbers and buckets, and paint the tarps to resemble a sign ("Campground: 3 miles") and they'll be gone by morning. :p

...As for the bridge removal, I still think that the USFS dismantled it for spite more than anything else.

Interesting. What do you mean by that? My question is not meant to be confrontational at all. I'm really curious why you'd say that. If the object of their spite is hikers, couldn't they tick off more hikers by removing that (intentionally) wobbly tacoma-narrows bridge in the Great Gulf, which I believe is along the AT? Why such selective spite?

If the object of their spite is hikers, couldn't they tick off more hikers by removing that (intentionally) wobbly tacoma-narrows bridge in the Great Gulf, which I believe is along the AT? Why such selective spite?

because they can

Last edited:
Interesting. What do you mean by that? My question is not meant to be confrontational at all. I'm really curious why you'd say that. If the object of their spite is hikers, couldn't they tick off more hikers by removing that (intentionally) wobbly tacoma-narrows bridge in the Great Gulf, which I believe is along the AT? Why such selective spite?

Here's one way of looking at it:

You see, Billy (imagine I'm Robert Loggia), the whole Ayn Rand thread is that da gubb'mint is a living, breathing, entity unto itself. It's kinda like the old Star Trek episode where Kirk and Spock meet a 'thing' in a subterranean cave which consumes hate (remember that one?). Now da gubb'mint isn't exactly passionate in that way (more like the Borg, but that's a different series), but it does have one single purpose: to ensure its own survival.

Actually, Bob's avatar explains it perfectly: the dog is da gubb'mint, and the people are the guy cleaning up after the dog. The guy cleaning up thinks he's in charge, but we know the real truth, don't we?

Now, do you see?

Drink your orange juice.​

Just one way of looking at it!

--Mike.