Ways to Hike the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your will, stipulate that you are to be cremated and your ashes divided into 48 portions. Your heirs must then see that a portion is spread over each of the 48 peaks before they can collect their inheritance.

Do ashes violate LNT?? :rolleyes:

er, ahem... how about more than just a kiss? ... ;)

An old Waterman article said there was a guy who wanted to kiss a _different_ woman on every summit, obviously he preferred group hikes

The same article mentioned a guy who would pee on every summit, so you're getting close :)

Who, besides PinPin, is in this little club?

I wish I could find that picture so that I could scan it in. It was at a 46er fall meeting. At the table was Fred, Wayne, and Alain.

Two of them are in this picture:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/supper.jpg

I've been working on a way of doing the 46. Climbing the peak and seeing nobody on the trail or on the summit. I'm about 3/4 the way there.

Two of them are in this picture:

I've been working on a way of doing the 46. Climbing the peak and seeing nobody on the trail or on the summit. I'm about 3/4 the way there.
Wow, that's a superstar's gallery!

Let's see, I think I've done 3 of the 46 w/o seeing a soul. Do I get double credit if one was Cascade? :D

Does it count if I got back to Avalanche Pass before seeing anyone for Colden?

I ran into someone who was dropping a load on every summit.

Pete, regarding your hikes in which you see no other hikers, does the perfect solitude have to begin the moment you leave your bicycle or car in the parking lot until you return to your vehicle, or is it just on the mountain itself?

If the former, if you encounter someone a short distance up the trail, can you return to the parking lot to reset the solitude index to zero, or is that hike irreversibly ruined?

How about on 48 separate hikes. Each cannot hit another of the peaks and you cannot bushwack. Tried mapping it with every peak from a completely different trail (sans the bushwack) but Hancocks just won't work.

Pete, regarding your hikes in which you see no other hikers, does the perfect solitude have to begin the moment you leave your bicycle or car in the parking lot until you return to your vehicle, or is it just on the mountain itself?
Trailhead to trailhead (or tent-back to tent as I got many of them on fall mid-week backpacking trips.)

If the former, if you encounter someone a short distance up the trail, can you return to the parking lot to reset the solitude index to zero, or is that hike irreversibly ruined?
I suppose so, but I never took it serious enough to bother doing something like that. I remember one day I was planning on getting Lower Wiolfjaw and Marshall for my list.
I climbed Lower Wolfjaw, very early from St Huberts... Like early enough that I'd be on the summit at 7:00AM Or maybe earlier.. and it was mid-week... I get to the summit... whole time alone... What do I see on the summit, but a photographer set up there photographing things in the early light. At lest I was able to do Macomb alone later that day.

I climbed Couchsachraga and Panther on an October Monday and had the range to myself (no other cars in the parking lot), but a guy in a pickup truck drove by me as I was trudging out the road, so I guess that hike wouldn't count as having had perfect solitude.

I must be 0 for 46 in the Adirondacks, but I believe I have at least two White Mountain 4K peaks that would qualify, and if I had turned around and returned momentarily to the parking lot after a woman jogged past me on the suspension bridge leaving Lincoln Woods as I was beginning my initial climb of Flume, there would have been a third. Oh well.

How about on 48 separate hikes. Each cannot hit another of the peaks and you cannot bushwack. Tried mapping it with every peak from a completely different trail (sans the bushwack) but Hancocks just won't work.

Huh? Do you mean not stepping on any part of a trail that you used for another peak? In that case, I see what you mean. But you can definitely get one Hancock without touching the other. Interesting that those are the ONLY peaks for which there is only one trail leading in...

DiamondRidge started her 48 with the intent of doing all 48 while getting paid. She would take juvenile delinquents into them thar hills to beat them up. ;) If she ever goes back to that job, I'm guessing she would resume her quest. :)

Interesting that those are the ONLY peaks for which there is only one trail leading in...
I would suggest that in threesomes Bond might not be reachable after you visit W Bond and The Cliffs

What about Owl's Head? Assuming you use the northern approaches for Galehead, Garfield or the Twins, and the southern approaches for Bondcliff...

And Field? Maybe if you come at Tom from the west it can be done?

It's a graph coloring problem ;) I.e., the traveling salesman.

Tim

What about Owl's Head? Assuming you use the northern approaches for Galehead, Garfield or the Twins, and the southern approaches for Bondcliff...
Garfield via Skookumchuck
Owls Head via Franconia Brk
Galehead via Garfield/Twin Brook
S Twin via Gale River
N Twin via N Twin
Bondcliff via E Side - you have to decide if that conflicts with Lincoln Woods

If you climb Tom or Field via Zealand Tr you can reach Zealand via Nancy Pond and Zeacliff

Hmm..., I guess you can't get to W Bond either

Last edited:
I would suggest that in threesomes Bond might not be reachable after you visit W Bond and The Cliffs

You are correct! Looking further Lincon Woods Trail access to Flume and Owls Head might cause some complications as well. South Twin is another. Tom/Field...

Okay. It can't be done for a number of reasons...

:(

Hm.

I wonder how long it would take to do them all "Thru-Hike" style. Do people do this? Hike all of them on one lengthy trip?

Now I wanna do it. @_@

You can do it and stay at campgrounds/tentsites most of the time:

Going from north you can stay at Jefferson Highland/Dolly Copp/Carter Notch/Pinkham Notch/Mizpah Spring/Ethan Pond/Sawyer Pond/Osceola Vista/ Guyot/Garfield/13 Falls/Lafayette Place. Some nights you need to stay in the wilderness but it's good to try to maximize the nights at established sites.

If you are trying to lose weight - it's probably one of the better programs out there for it ;) Especially if you carry everything from the start ;)