Western Ossipee Traverse (NH) - Saturday, April 4, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Western Ossipee Traverse (NH) - Saturday, April 4, 2009 - Cancelled

Note: This hike has been cancelled due to the weather and NWS Flood Watch.

Western Ossipee Traverse - 5 out of the 10 Ossipee 10 peaks

Saturday, April 4, 2009 - Cancelled

This is a *cancelled* hike at this point - bad weather cancelled it.

westernossipeetraverse.jpg

The proposed hike would have 3 options:

1) Meet at 8:45 at the Bottling Plant hiker lot, spot vehicle(s). Start at 9:00 at Mt. Shaw Trail trailhead (Route 171). Mt. Shaw Trail -> Tate Mountain Trail -> Banana Trail -> (Big Ball Mountain) -> Banana Trail -> Black Snout Spur -> (Black Snoot) -> Black Snout Spur -> Black Snout Trail -> (Mt. Shaw) -> Black Snout Trail -> High Ridge Trail -> (Faraway Mountain) -> High Ridge Trail -> (Mt. Roberts) -> Mt. Roberts Trail

About 12 or so miles, 3-4k vertical (most of it done by Mt. Shaw). Snowshoes and traction will be needed. Very steep grade up Banana Trail to Black Snoot. Gentle grades beyond Black Snoot. This is more challenging than many 4k hikes.

2) Meet at 9:00 at Mt. Shaw Trail trailhead (Route 171). Mt. Shaw Trail -> Tate Mountain Trail -> Banana Trail -> (Big Ball Mountain) -> Banana Trail -> Black Snout Spur -> (Black Snoot) -> Black Snout Spur -> Black Snout Trail -> (Mt. Shaw) -> Black Snout Trail -> Mt. Shaw Trail

About 8 or so miles, around 2.5k vertical. Snowshoes and traction will be needed. Very steep grade up Banana Trail to Black Snoot. This is more challenging than a few 4k hikes.

3) Meet at 9:00 at Mt. Shaw Trail trailhead (Route 171). Mt. Shaw Trail -> Tate Mountain Trail -> Banana Trail -> (Big Ball Mountain) -> Banana Trail -> Tate Mountain Trail -> Mt. Shaw Trail.

About 3 miles, around 1.5k vertical. Traction will be needed. Moderate grades, except for one brief 5' scramble (could be tricky).

If you're interested in the traverse, please post here/PM me/e-mail me ([email protected]). We have a few maybes, but it will take a few more to make it worthwhile. Firm decision on having the hike will be made by Friday noon.

Last edited:
I'm in

I'm in ... I was going to clean the toilet this saturday, but I guess I can put it off. Anyone up for car-pooling ...... coming up from Boston area? I'll bring my brand new geologic map of ossippees. I already have Trailbandit's map. Can I still get a free one??? (jus kiddin)

Last edited:
I'm in ... I was going to clean the toilet this saturday, but I guess I can put it off.

Just to clarify for folks, there are two Western Ossipee hikes planned for two separate dates.

This Saturday, March 28th is a loop hike.
Next Saturday, April 4th (rescheduled) is a traverse hike with out and back options for those not wanting to do a full traverse.

There will probably be the same core cast of characters for both hikes :)

Stop the confusion! I and others are planning to hike Roberts and Faraway on Saturday the 28th. That is tommorow! We are planning to leave the Bottling Plant parking lot about 9:30. If there are too many cars for that lot, we can ferry a few down to the lot on Rt. 171. This is not to be confused with Rocket 21's Western Ossipees Traverse which is on April 4. I only decided to to this to fill the vacuum left when he changed dates. I hope at least a few of you come.

*bump*

The long term forecast for Saturday looks mediocre, but the trend in it is good. Chance of showers, becoming partly cloudy. Decent temperatures. This of course could set up for a beautiful end to the hike - descending the Mt. Roberts Trail under partly sunny skies with warm spring temperatures!

The Mt. Roberts Trail, April 3, 2008:
mtrobertstrail-2008-0403a.jpg

Sunday is supposed to be a better day, according to the weather forecast.

Last edited:
Sunday is supposed to be a better day, according to the weather forecast.

I gave my solemn oath during the planning of the Southern Ossipee Traverse to schedule the next one for a Saturday, so that folks who can't hike on Sundays (ie work, church, Sunday night commuting) can have a chance to attend. Thus, I intend to keep my campaign promise. :)

That is a really long hike to do if the weather is crappy. Especially if it is slushy snow like last weekend. Can't we just hang around in the parking lot instead?

Please note this April 4th hike is still on. While there is a 50% chance rain the forecast, Wunderground is calling for clouds in the morning, then becoming partly sunny in the afternoon.

I'll make a cancellation decision by Friday noon if necessary.

*Cancelled*

The NWS now has a Flood Watch in place for the northeastern Lakes Region through Saturday night.

NOAA, Wunderground, and Weather.com are all saying rain of some sort throughout the day.

Last weekend we had the weather but not enough people...this weekend we had enough people, but not the weather!

I personally don't feel like hiking in the rain for over a dozen miles for what would normally be a rather scenic hike...of course, y'all are welcome to go ahead and do it anyway!

Thanks for cancelling early. Now I'll have plenty of time over the weekend to hunt for Milli Vanilli memorabilia on ebay.

Now I'll have plenty of time over the weekend to hunt for Milli Vanilli memorabilia on ebay.

I hear the eBay user "SometimesKiltedHikerHeartsMV4Ever" is selling a bunch of stuff!