What 4,000 footer to finish on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out which one I want to finish on, but I want it to be difficult so I can say I accomplished one of the hardest in New Hampshire. So far I have completed in order:

Osceola, Moosilauke, Washington, Field, Tom, North Twin, South Twin, Zealand, North Kinsman, South Kinsman, Carrigain and East Osceola

Any ideas on what to finish on. I'd like a high difficulty level and great views.
thanks
grouseking

We are planning on Washinfton next year. Any one who wants to help us celebrate and do not want to hike can take the cog or the auto road.

Any idea who is going with you on #48? IF the elderly, very young or non-hikers, Cannon since you've done Washington already.

hikers not up for a 20 mile traverse? Pierce, Jackson, Moriah & Eisenhower have great views without requiring a long hard day hike

Don't care about others want a great peak? the four above still qualify & many other choices including those mentioned, Garfield, Isolation, Jefferson & Monroe

I'd go with roadtrippers suggestion but in the opposite direction, in from Lincoln Woods, finishing on West Bond (#48) after getting Bondcliff and Bond as #46 and #47 and heading out via Zealand or heading out over the Twins.

sli74

If a dayhike, I'd want to NOT do a deathmarch, as I'd want plenty of time and energy to celebrate at the top and thereafter!!! :)
I'm hoping mine will be Isolation, with my Dad, some one of these centuries when we both have time... currently at #42 and holding. (he's at #46 I think) If I wait long enough, could be with my son!

Weatherman

I did the same thing trying to figure where I wanted to finish the New England 4000'rs. It was easy, Katahdin.

Without disagreeing on the suggestion for Adams/Madison, let me add that the views from both South and North Twin should not be under-rated. The ascent up the Gale River trail to South Twin will be both challenging and rewarding, and you can stop at the hut for lemonade or whatever.

West Bond

I do like the idea of West Bond being the final one for sure. It will either be something in the Pemi region (Bonds or Garfield) or one of the northern Presis like Madison. If I save a presis I will have to go up a ravine trail...like King Ravine or better yet Madison Gulf. That sounds like a real long and tough trail! :rolleyes: Has anyone used that trail because I am curious as to how hard it really is. The book makes it sound like a do or die situation.

grouseking

Mt Adams

I finished there last month, It was Great!!!!!!!!!!
Would recommend it highly.

Madison Gulf Trail isn't all that tough. There's no scary exposure, just some ledges that require care if it's wet, and you need to make some long reaches here and there. We went up and came down it on the same day without any great difficulty.

grouseking said:
I'd like a high difficulty level and great views.

I second Adams or the Bond traverse as well. Both are excellent choices. Best of luck on your quest!

Nadine said:
The Bonds get my vote!

I certainly agree! Isolation or Owl's Head might be where I'll end my 4K. I did the Bonds all ready and I enjoyed the hike :)

I finished up with The Bonds also, West Bond being Number 48. If you want to do something rarer, make the one in the middle, Bond, your last one.

How about saving Lafayette for last? That's probably not often done (it was my second, for example). You could climb the ridge from Flume and hit four in one go.

North Tripyramid slide is exciting, but the view from either North or Middle summit falls short of great. Any of the Presidentials would have a spectacular view, but as others have implied, the northern peaks probably have better views than the southern ones. Nobody ever suggests Monroe for 48, or Eisenhower. Actually, the view will always take a back seat to the accomplishment of climbing all 48, so don't get yourself too worked up about how perfect the hike has to be; it's bound to be a letdown that way.

For JNewell, grouseking has already climbed North and South Twin, so those are out.