What is with the freaking red squirrels?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had red squirrels chew into my house. they chewed through the roof-we have a wooden roof. I duck tapped a rat trap on the roof, near where they got in and caught four. that was a few years ago, But I am still worried about them since they run on the deck along the house. I put a rat trap there, but they must throw or convince the mice to try it out-so all I've trapped are mice!

The various squirrels will attack in all seasons. You must be alert and on guard every day. I have had to defended my home against the buggers almost constantly. Attached are a couple of photos taken on good days. Both red and gray squirrels were involved. If you have a bird feeder squirrels will be attracted to the free food and then take up residence in the nearest building which is usually your house. The red squirrels get very cautious after a bit and it is almost impossible to shoot them because they run for the woods at the sound of a door or window opening. I devised a modification to my bird feeder that solved the problem. The attached photo shows the modified feeder. There is a grounding screen where the squirrel has to stand to eat food and the wire above is connected to a 5000 volt neon sign transformer in the ammo can on the post. The transformer is powered from the house and is energized when you push the button. You can probably figure out the rest. It works very well, it is silent, and there is no danger to neighbors form stray bullets.View attachment 4082View attachment 4083View attachment 4084

Wow! Simply amazing! Must be quite the buzz to push the button and watch what happens out the window.

I think you are creating a red squirrel ecological vacuum. I imagine that new red squirrels continuously flow downhill along the negative red squirrel pressure gradient and fill the void as fast as you can create it. :D

I think you are correct. It is well known that Nature abhors a vacuum. If you clear a space such as a trail of weeds and brush, the space will very quickly be filled in. I agree that the same principle holds true if you remove the squirrels from an area. Others will move in. At present, I have not seen any squirrels for about a month. I don't know about the nocturnal flying squirrels but I have not heard any at night. Maybe I have plugged all the entrances.
In spite of what many of you may think, I do not get much joy out of "Pushing the button". This is a war and as far as I can tell, the only good enemy is a dead enemy. I will use any tool that my wicked brain can devise. I know that THEY will be back.

I got this critter's front paw under my boot before frying his brain with my (post consumer modified) headlamp electrode.

7%20Chutes_0039a.jpg

Red or grey...big or small....they are only trying to survive. There lives are as important to them as ours are to us. They to have families.
Photo Tufts Wildlife Clinic
300314_10150452857370930_96729110929_10911446_1604651132_n.jpg

Last edited:
Red or grey...big or small....they are only trying to survive. There lives are as important to them as ours are to us. They to have families.

Kill the mothers there will be no others

Kill the mothers there will be no others
When did this become a hunting web site?Kill squirrels?Really?What about better construction on your roof or walls to keep them out?Maybe these critters are not the problem here.Good luck with your karma and the squirrels!

When did this become a hunting web site?Kill squirrels?Really?What about better construction on your roof or walls to keep them out?Maybe these critters are not the problem here.Good luck with your karma and the squirrels!

Excellent suggestion. Too often it's easier to just kill the critter, but in many cases we do have less lethal options that could be implemented.

In order to divert attention away from the squirrel wars I thought I'd share an ornithological moment with you all:

7%20Chutes_0016a.jpg

Last edited:
Red or grey...big or small....they are only trying to survive.

I don't seek out rodents to dispatch: They are welcome in the yard. When it comes to destruction of property however, inside my walls, they are not welcome. I do, BTW, try to close up openings and cracks before I set any traps.
Also: I believe if I were eating, bedding and cr@pping in their crib, they'd try their best to off me.

On a slightly more conversational/confrontational note: Where do "you" draw the line ? What's the difference between a rat and a squirrel? Just saying. I really don't want to argue as I understand your POV.

I don't seek out rodents to dispatch: They are welcome in the yard. When it comes to destruction of property however, inside my walls, they are not welcome. I do, BTW, try to close up openings and cracks before I set any traps.
Also: I believe if I were eating, bedding and cr@pping in their crib, they'd try their best to off me.

On a slightly more conversational/confrontational note: Where do "you" draw the line ? What's the difference between a rat and a squirrel? Just saying. I really don't want to argue as I understand your POV.

I totally agree with what your saying and would do the same. It's just that killing should not be the only option if there is something more humane we can do to prevent the problem. Once you reinforce your home, etc and they still find a way in, dispatching them might very well be the only option.

What trail are we on here? Is the necessary gear available at EMS? This topic isn't in any of my hiking guidebooks. And besides, as a nearly vegetarian, yuck, it's not going in my whisper-lite.

I just set up a non electric, non high speed lead poisoning, no maintenance, freeze proof, potential multiple death, squirrel and mouse collection system in my barn.

I'll know in the morning how it went. I have no problem with them in the yard, but there's too much they can damage in the barn and house.

If anyone is interested in my results here: pics, minor maintenance issues, etc, PM me here. I will say I am very satisfied.