What tracks are these

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyF

Reaction score
I saw this track crossing Lowe's Path yesterday

It was smooth and looked like something dragged. It was too narrow and uniform for cross country skis. It was maybe 9 inches wide. I thought maybe an animal with a tail dragging behind it but I couldn't see any signs of foot prints.

Any guesses?

I can't quite tell the width from the photo, but they do look like ski tracks to me - I'm taking note of the raised snow on the left side of the photo (not raised on the right), which looks sort of like it was pushed while turning.

Right down the middle of a trail?

Weathered ski tracks. Weathering does funny things to tracks.

It's like a riddle.
My guess it that a hose, tubing or rope was pulled in causing the track. Isn't there maple syrup production in that area?

DaveG.

Skis was my first thought but it was too narrow. Unless it was someone with abnormally narrow feet who skied with them very close together. I suppose it could be a two year old on skis but there were no parent tracks following.

I haven't see any maple syrup lines in this area. There are some more to the east by the Amphibranch Trail.

It's missing the pole holes so it isn't likely skis.

FWIW - I've seen sap lines several times in that area.

If it's a sled being dragged with supplies, you'd expect to see some footprint out of the main track every once in a while. Someone was walking very carefully. the slightly higher ridge on the right side of the track makes it look like a narrow sled with an overhang.

Okay, will someone now please pipe in with the correct answer that has us all feeling foolish and saying, Duh?

Very Rare

The very rare and seldom seen North Country Ananconda?

A snowboard? It looks like it comes down a gentle slope. I;m really grasping at straws.

An otter or some critter doing an otter like belly slide occurred to me. I thought maybe some large tailed critter dragging it's tail behind it to cover its tracks.

Also too narrow for a sled or a snowboard. The track went on in both directions across the trail for farther than I could see. Generally flat but with some slight uphills and downhills.

If the track went off trail and rambled here and there my vote would be for a porcupine.

If the track went off trail and rambled here and there my vote would be for a porcupine.

Only problem with that suggestion is no footprints. Porcupine have a cute waddle but you would see their prints and the scrapping of their quills along the side of the track.

Last edited:
It does not look animal-made to me.

It looks like it was gravity-propelled (or possibly motor-driven)

There is a clear lip on the outside of the curve indicating snow was pushed up that way. It appears the inside of the track is deeper.

I think it is a skier/boarder of some sort - either with uncommon skis, or where the tracks are partially wind-blown. If this is looking up hill, as it appears to be, there wouldn't necessarily be any signs of poles.

What could have dragged something in such a way as to obliterate any tracks from the dragger?

Tim

I don't know how someone handicapped would have gotten up there without a lift but the handicapped chair skis leave a track that looks like that. Maybe?
It has outriggers that are held in the hands and would leave tracks to the main one.