What's the oldest piece of gear you own and still use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1942 Army rucksack

I still have (but no longer use) a rucksack with "U. S. Army" and "1942" printed on the inside of the top flap.

I bought it from a friend ($5.00) to use on my first trip to the Whites in 1957.

swiss-army knife

A small swiss-army pocket knife given as a gift to me over a decade ago. So it's not that old. I've pretty much destroyed through use, lost or given away everything else, boots, etc I had from earlier times.

I had to throw out my first pair of XC skiing & hiking gaiters from 1982 early this winter - there really wasn't much left of them! I hated to let go. My favorite summer boots are about to give up the ghost this season. I'll likely hold a wake for them when they go. :)

LTH

I'm still using the Kelty frame and Alpine Designs bag I got from the EMS Bargain Basement 30 years ago. None of the zippers are original, and only the metal buckles on the straps and belt (I've gone through a couple sets) are. I've tried several internal frame packs but I've never been satisfied with anything else. I think I've gotten my $25.00 worth out of it.

My Swiss Army Knife purchased in 1983

I bought that knife in Germany when I was in the service. I don't know the model but it's a little larger than the mid size models and the only attachment on it that doesn't get regular use is the fish scaler.

I also have a Whisperlite that my be as old as 1980 and still going strong. Not sure about that one though. Just before a trip in 1980 I bought a few pieces of new gear but I can't recall if that was one or not??? Of the gear that was purchased before that trip I've worn out most of it. One piece is still in service but not by me. My Eureka Timberlite 2 person tent. It serves as a backup tent when my kids have friends along on camping trips.

Several other pieces of gear that I still use are in the 15 to 20 year old range. I saw all the talk of newer lighter better and I without a doubt some is. However, while I don't get out as much as John I think he said it best:

John H Swanson said:
I have a simliar attitude. When you hike 80 days per year, there is no reason to save pennies on gear expenditures. But note that new and high tech, for me, does not always mean better. I evaluate each new piece of gear vs. old gear and in many cases I find the old gear better. It's a balance. That's why I buy old design Sherpas off e-bay and still use my old optimus stove. But my daypack is a custom Mchale and my winter shells are Schoeler fabric. I like the balance and it's especially fun when my old stuff out performs someone else's new stufff in the field. :D

Thommen altimeter

I am still using my trusty pocket Thommen altimeter, which is approaching 40 years old, I think. Tested against a much larger, more expensive, and more accurate Paulin altimeter, my Thommen is usually still within +/- 50 ft, if the atmospheric pressure is not bouncing up and down. I never mess with the set screw, which I fear might get stripped, so I need to mentally keep track of the plus and minus from benchmarks over the course of a hike.

Ramer poles rule!

bruno said:
oh yeah. some ramer "adjustable" backcountry ski poles. you can only really adjust by a primitve push button thing so you only really have three adjustments. anyone remember ramer ski gear? they made one of the original avalanche beacons in the US too. :) :) :) :)

Hey, Bruno, and others,

I have two sets of Ramer ski poles (older set is wider diameter), but one or two broken shafts for each set. If anyone wants to part with a lower Ramer ski pole, please PM me.

I love the whistle of the wind through the push button holes, from which I have roughly calibrated wind speed to the whistle pitch.

Paul Ramer died a few years ago from something similar to Mad Cow disease, so these poles will not be made again. :(

Since I only started hiking back in 1999, that's as old as the gear gets. Among my "original collection," is a sleeping pad, my compass and some bottle insulators. I'm about to try a new sleeping pad out though, so there goes that oh-so-ancient piece of gear into the closet to collect dust! :eek:

Most of the gear I originally bought just didn't really suit me or work the way I anticipated, so I sold it on eBay or gave it to friends and traded up. Actually, I do still have my very first tent, a Marmot that I bought in CT. The sales guy convinced me that a tent weighing 8 lbs. or so was light enough for backpacking. At that time, 8 lbs. sure didn't sound like a lot. But after a trip or two lugging it, I realized how big a difference an oz. here, and an oz. there _ and a few extra pounds _ can mean when you're backpacking. Now, I use it for car camping because it really is a sweet tent!

Last edited:
I had to think about this since most of my stuff is relatively new. I do carry an old whistle in my pack in case I need to be rescued. I haven't used it yet though.

Svea...

Oldsmores said:
My Svea 123 stove - it's about 35 years old and still going strong.

Wow. That's great!

I forgot that I still have my 20+ year old Svea. Admittedly I stopped using it this past winter in favor of a new-fangled jetboil stove. I grew weary of setting my Svea on fire. :). But I will say, on a really cold day, the Svea would do a better job heating water or esp melting snow!

LivesToHike said:
I forgot that I still have my 20+ year old Svea.
Oh, you have a newer one.
I grew weary of setting my Svea on fire. :).
Ahh but that's the best part. I often get a

"Whooa! Your stove's on fire."

And I reply with, "No, that's part of the religious ritual of using a Svea. The offering of fire to the gods."

Then I start chanting as the flames die down.

I've got a bright red (well it used to be bright red) Cannonale fanny pack I still use on occasion. I still have one of my BMX bikes and ride it with my son. I only wish I had saved my Bassett Cruiser though. It was sweet. My oldest hiking gear I still use is a REI candle lantern. Although it doesn’t get used very often, it always comes along.