Who are the legends of the New England mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a lot of names thrown out there, but not many people have given us the history behind the names... I now know why Percival Baxter is famous, and I now know why Shizzy is famous (2 names that probably haven't been used in the same sentence before!) but I would like to know more about some of these others that many of you had mentioned. Feel free to include any historical significance that you can remember... the interesting stories behind the names are what will make this informative for us all.

I found another website - history of skiing Tucks:
http://www.tuckerman.org/tuckerman/history.htm
I learned that Toni Matt was the fastest person to ski off of Washington - he went over the headwall at full speed and lived to tell about it. Now that is a legend!

Here's another one: Guy Waterman is known to have bushwhacked up each of the 48 from each of the 4 cardinal points of the compass in winter, and almost all of them solo. Will anyone ever repeat this?

Anyone got any other tales to add?

Winston Pote was a photographer who took a lot of pictures way back when. A lot of historical Presidential pictures were taken by him. My grandfather-in-law was a good friend of his, and we have some excellent pictures.

Many of the early skiing pics of Tucks were taken by Winston Pote.

This thread is experiencing a severe lack of Underhills.

I'm amazed at how many places I keep seeing the Underhill name pop up, from Cannon to all kinds of routes out West.

adamiata said:
I'm amazed at how many places I keep seeing the Underhill name pop up, from Cannon to all kinds of routes out West.
To say nothing of the Alps, their main playground.

A few years ago I had the incredible good fortune of finding a used copy of Give me the Hills at The Mountain Wanderer. Wonderful story, and wonderful writing. A few months ago I saw another copy there, not sure whether it sold or not.

giggy said:
the record ascent to crag camp ;) to the best of my knowledge, this has not been topped. I tried last october with some freinds and failed miserably. :eek:

Nor has Shizz's epic morning haul of: two cases of big boy Fosters, complete gas grill, overkill tent city and serious overstocking of foodstuff and snacks, etc., 150lb+ all totalled, up to Buttress camp from Pinkham after pulling an all nighter work shift in Ipswitch... :eek:

Mohamed Ellozy said:
To say nothing of the Alps, their main playground.

A few years ago I had the incredible good fortune of finding a used copy of Give me the Hills at The Mountain Wanderer. Wonderful story, and wonderful writing. A few months ago I saw another copy there, not sure whether it sold or not.
There appear to be good used and collectible copies (one's signed) at Amazon.

Passaconaway and any other Native American who struggled to keep their lands and peoples, followed by,for myself, trailmakers Charles Blood, Paul Jenks, and Rayner Edmands. Though their styles and interpretations of trails differed their cause was the same. Another vote too for Joe Dodge.

I think anyone who worked, loved or shared hiking in the mountains and tried to get others to appreciate it and get out there is a legend.

Another vote for Joe Dodge, and I also tip my hat to Darren for VFTT, David Metsky for hikethewhites and Mohammed Ellozy for his great site - when I started hiking again in 2004 these websites (the older version of Dave's) brought me a lot of knowledge that thanks to their educational sites I did not have to learn everything the hard way. They also allowed me to meet a lot of other like minded people who shared my love of hiking and the mountains.

I can think of some infamous legends as well. Names that I am no allowed to speak.

-Dr. Wu

Agree with the Underhills, I'd also add Bradford Washburn.

I recall reading that one of the Tetons more famous individuals, Paul Petzoldt retired within view of the Presidenrials.

I echo MichaelJ: Steve Smith.

And of course his cohorts Mike Dickerman and Eugen Danielle.

Joe Dodge is another that Metzky mentioned.

And lastly.....every single person, past...present...or future, who has picked up a hazle hoe, loppers or axe to maintain the network of trails throughout these hills.

Brian

New England mountain legends

My French Canadian grandfather who spent winter in logging camps, Upper branch of the Nulhegan in Vt, Pemi in NH, and loved everything outdoors.
Maybe not so PC these days but contributed to our love of the outdoors.
"Ever ride a log down river?" "Save those berries you can make great wine for the winter." And other such memorable quotes.
Now that leaves an impression on a 9 year old boy!!

SABERG

i would echo guy waterman as a modern legend. an amazing mix of mind boggling hiking achievements and ground breaking stewardship. i can't traverse franconia ridge without imagining what it would be like if he hadn't taken on the challenge of saving it.
farther back i would say every woman who took to the trail (or off trail) in days where their every day ungainly clothing wayed more than our overnight packs. imagine staying up after a full days bushwack to sew up your clothing.....that's tough sh#t.

bryan

Another vote for Joe Dodge. I was thinking of him as I hiked out of PNVC last weekend. Didn't see any porcupines, but I thought of him (and one other) hauling out that French Canadien trapper who had fallen down Tuck's. How brutal for all concerned that must have been!

Another vote for Brad Washburn, who only recently passed, and for this guy, Bob Bates, of whom I had never heard until seeing his obit in this week's Globe: (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ob...ountaineer_taught_english_at_phillips_exeter/)

For sheer impact, one would also have to include JE Henry and the logger-barons, as well as the founders of the Wonalancet OutDoor Club. Also in this boat would be the forces behind the Kancamagus Highway and the originators of the US ski industry, including the famous Limmers. This segues into Dartmouth College, the State of New Hampshire and even the Feds, for participating in the rehab of the logging mess.

One could go on....

Bully

How about Good Ole Teddy Roosevelt?
After spending a night under the stars along side John Muir in Yosemite, (and waking up under a blanket of snow the next morning), thought it that might be good to put aside some of the wilderness for future generations.

Ned Green, Mick Immonen, and any other dead AMC tentsite caretakers, who showed us what it was like to live in the woods for days at a time, eat peanut butter on tortillas and really appreciate a cold beer without regard for what peaks beckoned in the distance.

Wow! This list is getting big! I'd like to add "all the fashion conscious hikers out there!" to my legends list. The people who brought fashion to hiking. No more tighty-whities and uhh, ugly sweat shirts! Now we got bikinis and trail runners and stuff. Long live the fashion gods!

-Dr. Wu