Who are the legends of the New England mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sapblatt said:
I think anyone who worked, loved or shared hiking in the mountains and tried to get others to appreciate it and get out there is a legend.

... I also tip my hat to Darren for VFTT, David Metsky for hikethewhites and Mohammed Ellozy for his great site - when I started hiking again in 2004 these websites (the older version of Dave's) brought me a lot of knowledge that thanks to their educational sites I did not have to learn everything the hard way. They also allowed me to meet a lot of other like minded people who shared my love of hiking and the mountains.

I second this motion. There are many reasons to include mention of "legends" but, in my mind, the most noble of all is that which brings this joy in a safe and informed manner to others.

swamp said:
Hey Sherpa,
Is that the Doherty that wrote "Smoke from a Thousand Campfires" ? ...I think that I've read that Joe Dodge referred to him as the "fish cop".
Yes

After a full career as a warden with NH Fish & Game ending as sgt in charge of the North Country, he spent 5 years founding the NH snowmobile trails program, 5 years as director of state parks, another few years as consultant on Franconia Notch parkway design, and served in the state legislature - enough careers for several legends :)

IMO, a White Mountain "Legend" is not someone who hikes for personal ambitions, but is for people who have changed the mountains in some way... Anyone who puts my name into this mix either doesn't know me, or is smoking something probably quite good... :eek:

People like the Crawford's, Waterman's, Washburn's, and my personal favorite Arnold Guyot who surveyed these mountains 150 years ago, and has 4 peaks in the US named after him, are definitely legends. Guyot did some MAJOR bushwhacking back in the day before the day was actually back in the day.... :D Henry David Thoreau is another person I consider a legend, especially with his early accounts of his trips to Katahdin...

A few more less notable people that I consider partial "legends" are Walter and Ida Rachel James, who tramped in the White Mountains 100 years ago. Their documentation of "Our Mountain Trips" is nothing short of amazing... :)

I find it hard to put names in this thread, because what really impress me is the hiker's attitude towards the mountains, not his accomplishments.

And I can only tell by hiking with them.

Alden Partridge

I'm surprised Alden Partridge's name did not pop up until post #61. As a hiker, he was a legend. i stole this from wikipedia, but I have read the same things elsewhere:

"An avid solo wilderness hiker, Partridge had previously climbed Mount Monadnock and Mount Moosilauke in New Hampshire when in 1818 he walked 76 miles from Norwich to climb both Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield in two days. It rained the entire journey, according to his journal, and while a friend joined him climbing Mansfield, he hiked the balance of the expedition alone.
One of America's first exercise enthusiasts, Partridge became a strong proponent of physical education as an essential part of school curriculum. As part of that program, he often led his classes on hiking expeditions in the many local mountains of New England. On one climb of Vermont's Green Mountains in 1822, Partridge led 27 pack-laden cadets on a 150-mile hike from Norwich to Manchester in just four days."

How about Dr, Ball who survived 3 nights in an October snowstorm near the summit of Mt. Washington with an umbrella and a borrowed wool hat? Maybe not too bright, but a legend none the less.

An early settler of Lancaster, John Wingate Weeks became a congressman and was appointed to the Agricultural Commitee where he sponsored the Weeks Act, resulting in the creation of the White Mountain National Forest.

The legendary Joe Dodge, the builder of the modern AMC hut system. he also helped Robert Monahan of Dartmouth College to reopen the weather observatory on Mount Washington in 1932.

I would have to agree with others here on several other names:

The Crawfords

Dr. Francis Boott

Dr. Jacob Bigelow

Dr. Edward Tuckerman

JH Huntinton spent the winter of 1870-1871 on the summit of MT. Washington. No polypro or plastic boots then!

Someone else mentioned the geographer Arnold Henri Guyot who made one of the first maps of the Whites in 1860.

More recently Brad Washburn and the Watermans.

But currently I'd have to agree with Steve Smith, Gene Daniell and Mike Dickerman, an encyclopedia of knowledge right there, and I'd have to add the name of Ben English for his knowledge of the logging and railroads of the Whites. Someone mentioned his grandparents, Ida Rachel and Walter James, legends of "Our Mountain Trips".

OK, a couple more, then I'll shut up: I have to agree with Jim about Peter Crane of the MW Observatory and Mike Pelchat and his wife Diane Holmes of the MW State Park. What they have done for MW will probably never be fully realized. Ken Rancourt would go on that list, too, as a behind the scenes man who has helped run the Obs for over 20 years. He may have taken the ride up and down to the Obs more than anyone on the planet.

KDT

Last edited:
Here are a couple more names of White Mountain hikers from the modern age whom I consider "legends":

"Midnight" Mike Bromberg, made famous for presumably being first to stand atop each NH4 at midnight in the winter (noted in Steve Smith's and Mike Dickerman's "Hiking the NH 4000 Footers" book), later to become presumably the fifth to complete the NH48x12 (as in the 48 NH 4000-footers in each of the 12 months, or the "576 grid"), ascents of all the 14,000-footers in continental U.S. (some are semi-technical), and closing in on the 50 state high points.

J.R. Stockwell, who in my mind comes closest to replicating the exploits of Guy Waterman, by soloing bushwhack routes all over the Whites in every season, but unlike Guy never writing up anything, as far as I know; J.R. also holds a lot of road-racing records in the Northeast, at various distances and in different age groups.

Dr. D.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
J.R. Stockwell, who in my mind comes closest to replicating the exploits of Guy Waterman, by soloing bushwhack routes all over the Whites in every season, but unlike Guy never writing up anything, as far as I know; J.R. also holds a lot of road-racing records in the Northeast, at various distances and in different age groups. Dr. D.
J.R. rules!! Dude is wicked cool and such a nice guy. I met him a few times at Steve's store -- in fact, you were there too!

-Dr. Wu

Fred "Mac" Stott

Fred "Mac" Stott of Andover , MA.

How I forgot to mention this man, I'll never know. I first crossed paths with him about 5 years ago on Holt Hill in Andover. He was often seen on those trails as his age and health could not allow him to return to the mountains he loved. On our first meeting, I spent nearly an hour chatting with him while sitting on the Solstice Stones. It was in this first conversation that I first heard of the famous "White Mountain Jackass Company"
An amazing man:
The Resuscitator - Old Hutman's Association AMC 125 Celebration

Although not mentioned in the article, Mr Stott was actively involved with the Waterman Fund.

Here is an article by Mr Stott about the Huts in the 1930's. Definitely worth reading the 3 pages.

Fred Stott passed away on December 1, 2006

What about the lady who cut the illegal trail up to Duck Pond Mountain?

Pig Pen said:
What about the lady who cut the illegal trail up to Duck Pond Mountain?
Cut her own freakin' finger off with an axe 'cause it was botherin' her! That's a legend in my book! Cut more trails than the one up Duck Pond as fer as I know too! I heard about more but I ain't tellin' where they are!

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Cut more trails than the one up Duck Pond as fer as I know too! I heard about more but I ain't tellin' where they are!
I hiked another one last winter

Seems like nobody who has mentioned "Cateyes" whose real name is in the Waterman book, after finding the Adk 46x12 too ordinary he climbed the Adk 46 at night then repeated the feat for the NH 4k. (Bromberg hiked up in daylight and camped legally near the summits to be on them at midnight).

Just who *is* J.R. Stockwell we wondered....

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
J.R. Stockwell, who in my mind comes closest to replicating the exploits of Guy Waterman, by soloing bushwhack routes all over the Whites in every season, but unlike Guy never writing up anything, as far as I know; J.R. also holds a lot of road-racing records in the Northeast, at various distances and in different age groups.

Dr. D.

Huh...we just met him last week on The Twins...he's really fit. He asked about MichaelJ's VFTT shirt, and asked all our names (including Terra's), but when we asked him if he was on Views, he just smiled and said he didn't own a computer. We didn't know who he was when he introduced himself as JR Stockwell. Friendly guy, great smile.

:)

Last edited:
A growing legend of the Long Trail

This thread is fun.

My nomination: Snowman. I wouldn't put him in the category of the historic legends who've had a long lasting impact on the way we know the mountains - so I guess I'm ignoring Albees clarification - but, in the literal sense of the opening post, I think Snowman qualifies or is on his way.

Snowman hikes the Long Trail in alternating directions every year (I think this was his 10th year), does a huge amount of trail maintenance, is a genuine trail angel, and his knowledge of all the Vermont trails and peaks is impressive. Few if any have ever known the Long Trail better. He's low key, but he is out there often enough and leaves an impression with people who get to know him - so the amount of people out there (especially in Vermont) who know him keeps growing. He does trails outside of Vermont as well (including Northville Placid a few times). He has no net access, so you won't see him posting anywhere. On the trail though, I have mentioned him a few times only to hear further Snowman stories in return.

I was fortunate to meet him on both my LT thru-hikes and this year, I was the beneficiary of his incredible kindness and generosity. When I first saw him this year, he was thru-hiking the LT (in the opposite direction) with a guy who had latched onto him when the guy realized how well Snowman knew the trail.

Last edited:
Interesting thread except I really don't like seeing the use of the word "legend." Seems to me that hiking/climbing is part leisure and part spiritual. So asking who are the "legends" of hiking is like asking who are "legendary" vacationers or church-goers. Of course, y'all can call these folks whatever you want. Good list though. :)

This might be a little bit of a reach, but how about Kim Nilsen? (I havent read this whole thread so he may have already been mentioned.) I hiked a relatively new section of the Cohos yesterday and really gained an appreciation for the amount of work necessary to build a trail. Bog bridges were all in place, yellow blazes, the little CT signs - I gotta hand it to him, he gets a vote from me.

I'm really surprised that nobody so far has mentioned Justice Souter. What about Bode Miller? Klaus Meine? Does anybody know history?

-Dr. Wu