Why are there more bee and wasp stings this summer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
WMNF is currently posting a warning about increased bee and wasp stings this summer (below). I assume the wet conditions has something to do with this. Does anyone know what? Are there simply more bees and wasps or more stings?

!! VISITOR ALERTS !!

Visitors to the Forest should realize that environmental conditions this summer have created a higher than average number of bee and wasp stings. Sting incidents have been escalating since June, with the past couple of weeks bringing the most numerous cases. Those with allergies or who have a higher degree of sensitivity should make sure they are carrying their medical response kits at all times. See "Insect Stings and Bites: Basic Information About Bees, Wasps, and Ants" publication by the US Forest Service's Missoula Technology and Development Center to help protect yourself from these Forest inhabitants.

I was sitting having a wonderful breakfast at the Gables Inn in Stowe, and out of nowhere, a bee flew into my sandal and stung me. The really weird thing about this bee sting was it was still really itcy 4 days after the sting.

I am not sure how the summer in New England is, sounds wet. My bet is that wasps, hornets and bees are not having time to forage for food. Let it be nectar and other insects (most wasps and hornets prey on them) Because of this they are ending up looking for prey in unlikely places. Also in late summer they become more aggressive.

Just a note on allegies to stings, every hornet, wasp or bee species have their own formula for venom. Humans tend to be allergic to only one, possible a few species but not all of them. However if I was allergic I would be very careful.

Just a note on allegies to stings, every hornet, wasp or bee species have their own formula for venom. Humans tend to be allergic to only one, possible a few species but not all of them. However if I was allergic I would be very careful.

Lucky me, I'm allergic to Yellow Jackets, mostly, but have a less severe reaction to other vespids as well.
I have been receiving allergy shots for 8 years, so hopefully, if I get stung again, I won't have a severe reaction. At least that's the theory......

My 3 y/o daughter got stung last week (2 quick strikes) while shucking corn with my wife on the back steps, and I had a few pestering me at work the other day out of the blue. Both cases I felt were odd, since the only time I see them is when I (or the kids) disturb a hive. Kind of comforting to know others are also under assault.

It's bee season and there certainly do seem to be an abundance of them this year. I assume the weather has something to do with it also, but I don't have a scientific answer. My 2 year old got stung twice the other day, once on each hand.

Disclaimer: Again, for those not allergic.

Last weekend I bored my wife with a lengthy monologue about the value of bee stings, because they provide the yin to contrast with the yang of sitting in the hot tub with a Pina Colada in hand.

Appropriately, the next day as I started my bushwhack, I was stung not 50 feet from the road. "Ouch!" "Dammit!" ... (wait a minute; think, now) ... "Thanks, bee. I appreciate the contrast!"

TCD

I don't think there are more here, in general, but we have been fighting an invasion of 2" long Cicada Killer Wasps around a patio and its small retaining wall. I understand these guys don't bother humans, and one or two in the area is fine, but this years numbers were intimidating and we didn't want to have the population multiply geometrically again.

IMG_2996.JPG

My theory is that the cold and wet summer has impeded the activity level of the bees and wasps and that, as it's dried out and warmed up, they are making a more aggressive push going into the fall.

My 2-year old daughter was stung 9 times by yellowjackets a couple of weeks ago. She unfortunately stepped on a parking lot barrier made of wood where they were nesting. Fortunately she wasn't allergic but we called 9-1-1 anyway with that many stings as a precaution. I picked her up when she was attacked and ran 100 feet into the office and didn't get stung once. Good reason to carry children's benadryl with you.

Good reason to carry children's benadryl with you.

Or adult benadrl and a pair of EpiPens if alergic. I don't hike much in the warmer weather but I've been stung twice in the past couple years on the bike. Once when the thing went down my shirt and once when one got caught in the strap for my helmet. An elevated heart rate made both memorable experiences... :eek:

We had to move my daughter's birthday party indoors today, due to the wasps. They were swarming like CRAZY, and I got stung between my fingers. I can't remember the last time I was stung, but it's been many years.

Bring on the snow!