Windmills getting closer to the Whites - second and third Plymouth-area wind farms

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone interested in Rocket21's concept of parasitic load can find info here (Windfarms require more power to operate)
http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html

Interesting statement in fine print at the bottom of that page:

One need only ask utilities to show how much less "dirty" electricity they purchase because of wind-generated power to see that something is amiss in the wind industry's claims. If wind worked and were not mere window dressing, the industry would trot out some real numbers. But they don't. One begins to suspect that they can't.

I can understand opposition to wind power based on all kinds of criteria, but the notion that they are USING a significant amount of power vs. MAKING it sure ain't one of them. Are they seriously suggesting that the wind industry, worldwide, is unwilling or unable to demonstrate otherwise, and that they are participating in some kind of scheme or conspiracy? Ridiculous.

I suspect there is substantial cross-over between people who would believe wind power is some kind of government-propped pipe-dream and those who suggest that climate change is a "hoax". Just going out on a limb here.

Anyone interested in Rocket21's concept of parasitic load can find info here (Windfarms require more power to operate)
http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html

I agree that Wind Power Stations should list their net power output rather than their gross power output.

But reviewing the list on the referenced web site, there is nothing there comparable to power consumption of condensate pumps, boiler feed pumps, etc that you have in a rankine cycle power plant.

A typical 600MW coal-fired power plant will have 10-15 large motors (5-25MW) and a somewhat larger complement of medium sized motors (0.1 - 5MW), perhaps 15 to 25 units. That represents a parasitic load of 8-15%. Pollution control equipment at pulverized coal power plants adds ~ 2-3% parasitic load as well.

Wind Power Station have a significantly lower parasitic load compared to conventional power plants both on a percentage basis and a gross MW basis.

This is good support of Peakbaggers idea that repairs will not happen on any regular basis; especially in small hard to reach wind farms.

I agree that requiring the developer to post a bond covering the decommissioning costs of an abandoned Wind Power Station should always be a requirement of the permitting process.

Well sited, in easily accessible areas with very consistent wind speeds, wind power is a reasonable part of our energy diversity portfolio. Unfortunately, most all of the wind farms in New England would never have been built without the taxpayer subsidies offered by our government.

The fossil fuel and nuclear power plants are more heavily subsidized than solar and wind power. Nuclear power plants could never avoid the cost of the insurance premiums without our government back-stopping it. Fossil fuel power plants have long avoided the true costs associated with the mining and burning of those fuels.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1993/12/the-true-cost-of-coal/304566/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price–Anderson_Nuclear_Industries_Indemnity_Act

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/funds-fs.html

On the bigger picture of energy consumption, I am encouraged by the lower birth rates in first world countries.

Hopefully, as globalization increases and our standard of living normalizes across the world, the world’s population will stabilize. Unfortunately for us in the first world, a normalization of the standard of living will mean in reduction on our standard of living.

Northern Pass is going to be bringing in renewable power for when the wind isnt blowing. Unless more fossil fuel plants are built in New England, the indirect effect of building wind turbines is to encourage Northern Pass, not discourage it.

Can you please explain your reasoning for this conclusion? Are you assuming that addition of wind power to the grid will create additional demand? I don't see addtional wind power as causing additional demand.

If there is a a huge build out of wind power in New England it will displace the most expensive power on the grid, most likely the coal burners at Brayton Point and Salem Harbor. When there is a lull in wind, the replacement power would then come from these coal plants ramping up.

Now if those coal plants are demo'd due to low utilization and not replaced by combined cycle power plants, then there would be more pressure to permit the NP.

Is that the line of reasoning you are suggesting?

I oppose the routing of the Northern Pass thru the WMNF and the potential abuse of eminent domain [Kelso vs City of New London was a travesty] but I do support hydro as one of the least impactful sources of energy. Route the NP around our national forests and it is fine by me.

Can you please explain your reasoning for this conclusion? Are you assuming that addition of wind power to the grid will create additional demand? I don't see addtional wind power as causing additional demand.

I take this reasoning as "if you allow wind turbines you should allow towers." But I am not the person that posted and that is just how I read it the first time.

This is complex subject that is difficult to simplify. Coal plants typically dont ramp up very well. They are generally baseloaded at one output rate or they have scheduled ramps over multiple hours. Unfortunately wind is not very predictable, so having a coal plant ramp up and down to follow the wind is not very practical. Combined Cycle natural gas plants can change their output fairly quickly and there are several large ones in the region that were built during the "gas bubble" about 10 years ago. Unfortunately they are constrained from doing so at times due to lack of natural gas, as there is minimal natural gas storage in New England. They are currently the lowest cost power in thr region so normally they are running flat out. So even though combined cycle plants are technically capable of chasing wind, they are prevented from doing so at this time without building out the natural gas transmission system (generally in cold weather). The regional grid operator ISO new england has already identified the shift in power sources in new england to predominately gas as a signficiant issue that could cause grid issues. For those who forget, there is already a very large natural gas line right of way that runs through the area of the NP in northern NH, it may not have towers but it is quite a "gash" through the woods. It avoided the "high rent" areas to the west of the whites like Franconia so it went in with far less controversy.

The demand for wind power is mostly driven by the new england states Renewable Portfolio Standards which require a percentage of the power sold in a state to be renewable. I beleive its around 23% in Mass. The producers of renewable power are paid extra to produce this power. Given the various incentives for solar and wind, when the sun is out and the wind is blowing having a large installed base of solar and wind makes sense, unfortunately both are extremely variable so a large scale back up source of renewable power is needed and Hydro Quebec has a extremely large potential capacity if they can get someone to pay for it. Mass currently does not consider HQ power as renewable but I expect that will change like it did in VT.

Tie all these together and you have a power market in New England that has a increasingly high level of intermittent renewable entering the mix and goverment decrees that are making it very impractical to continue operating coal plants, which drives the region to an increasing reliability towards natural gas generation. This gas generation is constrained by gas supply limitations to make it unable to ramp up to cover the intermittent renewables and that leads to a need for more imported power into the region. Currently that power is intended to come into the region via a buried high voltage power line in upper state NY, an underwater lake champlain line, the above ground Northern Pass and the proposed buried power line in Maine that will be run in the median of I95. All of these developers are hoping that their project it the least cost, as that gives them more business. NP is banking on a very low costs as they going "cheap" with towers, at a trade off for reliability. (The current HQ Quebec line in Vermont recently was shut down when some moron used one of the insulators for target practice, thats a lot less likely with an underground line).

If you are interested in these issues, it worth spending some time researching the ERCOT mess in texas where the large wind farm fleet is raising havoc with the power grid to the point where at times Texas is having to brown out the grid and have negative power rates where a power producer has to pay for the privilege to export power into the grid. ERCOT is desperately trying to come up with sources of backup power for when the wind isnt blowing and still hasnt figured out way of doing it reliably without an incredibly expensive project that will raise power rates signficantly.

By the way, I feel I can walk the talk as I am one of the folks on small scale impacting the grid with solar as I generate more power on a yearly basis than I use with solar and use the gird as a battery which means that PSNH has to have capacity to supply me when the sun isnt shining, I also heat my water with solar and when I am home, my entire heating load is with locally sourced wood that I cut and split, usually thinning low grade wood to improve a wood lot.

Finally, my favorite. Rarely discussed is the idea that reserve power is required when the wind stops blowing. Conventional plants are not readily dispatchable, they require "ramp up" time that can extend to multiple days. So, these plants are operated in "spinning reserve" burning fuel & dumping excess heat (steam) into the atmosphere, just so they are ready to generate power when the wind slows down (or blows too fast) Further, when the conventional plants are operating in a derated mode, they are often not operating in the most efficient manner for emission control.
Yes!

Addition of intermittent sources (such as solar and wind) to the system can have a net effect of actually increasing the fossil fuel consumption by forcing the fossil fuel power sources to be operated in less efficient modes.

This does not suggest that we should ignore solar, wind, wave, tide, etc power sources, but that we should consider the effects on the overall power generation and delivery system rather than just on some selected parts...

Doug

Addition of intermittent sources (such as solar and wind) to the system can have a net effect of actually increasing the fossil fuel consumption by forcing the fossil fuel power sources to be operated in less efficient modes.

Another word deserved emphasis there, imo, so I added it. Can does not mean does. Can anyone here cite solid evidence that this "can" ends up meaning that wind power or PV do not end up, in net effect, significantly draining CO2 emissions? And for the record, that the trucks, cars and other automotive equipment needed to install and maintain wind and PV farms now run on fossil fuels does not mean that they always will. It's a weak objection, imo, that these secondary CO2 emissions are now a detraction from the greenhouse emission sink, relative to alternatives, that PV and wind are.

It would, with due respect, be a benefit to the conversation if wind power opponents, and PV opponents, for that matter, rather than stating this or that concern, at the margins, about their alleged secondary CO2 impacts, would lay their cards on the table, to wit:

1. Do you favor coal, natural gas and petroleum sources of energy, or nukes, to wind and PV? Do you somehow deny the truth that burning these carbon fuels is wrecking our climate, to unknown, large-scale detrimental effect?

- and -

2. Do you oppose large wind or PV installations everywhere, or just near your home? Honesty here may be difficult or embarrassing, so it would particularly be courageous and appreciated.

I don't mean disrespect or disregard toward anyone, and everyone is entitled to their feelings and opinions about things. I just believe, with some background on the matter, having worked for the US Department of Energy in efficiency and renewables for a while in the '90s, that though there are significant concerns about their environmental impacts, wind and PV, where they can find a good resource base, as with wind in northern New England, are far superior to fossil fuels environmentally.

Moreover, while it is true that PV and wind receive significant subsidies, fossil fuels over their long history have received such subsidies and tax advantages and continue to do so, so IMO that objection to renewables is weak. Further, the subsidies begin to reflect that an enormous subsidy of fossil sources is that their principal waste product, CO2, is dumped into the atmosphere with no carriage of the external environmental costs imposed on us all and on all our fellow inhabitants of the planet, human and otherwise. The subsidies partially, though not entirely, level that playing field in most cases, to the best of my understanding.

So let's hear it: if yer agin wind, spell out the dimensions of your opposition. Lay your cards on the table, as I have, rather than sniping from the bushes. Come out in the open!

Last edited:
These are being approved on the state level and not through the towns. My parents live near the proposed wind farms in the Danbury area and due merely to lower rural populations it is hard to get a strong petition. These international companies will and have come in to collect on the subsidies and walk! It takes little research to find out these "green scams" have also taken place in european countries as well. I think I read a lengthy piece on the controversy in Germany last year. And in regards to what Peakbagger has been saying, I had worked in the past next to a 25 meg low pressure gas plant. It continually ran inefficient ramping up and ramping down because you are bidding on the right to sell power into the grid not just supplementing an inefficient and unpredictable "green" utility! I have seen many times when a recovery boiler was brought up to temperature too fast and well outside of the code they are required to operate by! Also picture how inefficient the decisions driving the bidding are if you are keeping the operating staff on stand-by just in case you get to produce "dirty" power for a brief alloted time! Stock exchange type arrangement for this has reversed any efficiencies we garnered by improving our technologies! Once these "green" machines are online will they be gauranteed operating time over the bidding local entities? Should we cater to internationals that "green stamp" their equipment based on best efficiencies at ideal conditions? When I replace motors in the industriaol world I buy durable equipment based on gauranteed efficiencies!

2. Do you oppose large wind or PV installations everywhere, or just near your home? Honesty here may be difficult or embarrassing, so it would particularly be courageous and appreciated.

What happens when you ask this question another way?

"Do you support and encourage large wind and/or PV installations near your home?"

I am guessing very few people would answer this with an enthusiastic "yes". Even fewer if rephrased

"Do you support and encourage large wind and/or PV installations near your home along with the drop in your property value?" The death knell question is

"Do you support and encourage large wind and/or PV installations, subsidized with your tax dollars, near your home, along with the drop in your property value?"

While many of us here would prefer not to have our ridge lines and views "polluted" with turbines, the major objection in the population as a whole really comes down to the property value part.

I am not embarrassed to admit that I prefer to retain my property's value and keep the turbines out of my backyard. I also prefer my ridgelines unspoiled. I am afraid that there will be wind farm skeletons lying about in so many years, just like the abandoned dried up oil wells.

Tim

"Do you support and encourage large wind and/or PV installations, subsidized with your tax dollars, near your home, along with the drop in your property value?"

Excellent question and one that I asked myself before you posted it. I struggled with the answer and after some thought, answered yes. I find the windmills beautiful spinning around. I find comfort in knowing that it puts us on a path of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels. I find hope that it will protect the WNMF and alpize zone vegetation from carbon emissions. My hope would be that the drop in property value would not be that significant.

I am not partial to any one particular source of power, all technologies currently in use have negative side effects. I simply believe that too much emphasis is placed on the "green" aspects of wind and PV.

Ultimately there are three solutions that I believe will best help the inefficiencies in our current power production & distribution grid: storage, reduced transmission losses and distributed generation. If you can figure out how to produce power locally, transmit the power with minimal loss and store power during times of lower demand, we can go a long way to reduce our dependence on any of these generation sources.

I personally think that the ridgetop wind "factories" are an eyesore and for the relatively few MWs they produce, not worth the visual impact nor the acreage requirements per MW produced. I live in Pennsylvania and the industry talks about "clean" coal, but realistically, the plants still belch out pollutants that damage our environment. I believe that the USA really needs to develop nuclear plants (near rivers or the ocean, not in the mountains), they will have less visual impact, way more MWs per acre, and will be extremely efficient producers. Yes, the waste is a problem but I say don't bury it, place into rocketships and send it to the sun - this would be on non-event to the sun.

I am not embarrassed to admit that I prefer to retain my property's value and keep the turbines out of my backyard. I also prefer my ridgelines unspoiled. I am afraid that there will be wind farm skeletons lying about in so many years, just like the abandoned dried up oil wells.

No question property value concerns are real and fair and legitimate for those close to large industrial installations of whatever sort. Can't begrudge someone's fighting for their own economic interest, it's just good to be clear when that's what's driving the fight. I think some sort of compensation of those affected, in theory, would be fair. Doesn't end up happening in practice all that often.

As to PV and wind subsidies, Tim, does the fact that Germany and China and other major economic competitors heavily subsidize these industries - to say nothing of the countless subsidies, supports and tax advantages we afford to nukes and fossil fuels - affect your view of subsidies for these cleaner technologies?

As to skeletons on the hills down the road, I'm strongly inclined to believe that engineers will be called upon to lengthen the useful lives of the towers and/or their sites as much as possible. For those who hate the wind farms' presence in the first place, that's not a comforting thought, but for those who hate economic waste, it is perhaps more palatable.

Ultimately there are three solutions that I believe will best help the inefficiencies in our current power production & distribution grid: storage, reduced transmission losses and distributed generation. If you can figure out how to produce power locally, transmit the power with minimal loss and store power during times of lower demand, we can go a long way to reduce our dependence on any of these generation sources.
You left off the easiest one of all - reduce your consumption.

That said, there is a huge opportunity in the storage space. If that is not practical, then perhaps a parallel distribution mechanism for the fluctuating power is practical - can be used to charge your electric car, or house batteries for supplementing your own solar or wind, etc. Neither is practical right now, but both address the glaring holes in the current system.

In 2011, when I went car shopping, it was still too expensive to purchase a hybrid car - I would not get my money back. Until that happens, there will continue to be a significant amount of opposition - there is not enough "value" in the "green" nature of things - certainly not enough for the general population to pay the extra cost.

As to PV and wind subsidies, Tim, does the fact that Germany and China and other major economic competitors heavily subsidize these industries - to say nothing of the countless subsidies, supports and tax advantages we afford to nukes and fossil fuels - affect your view of subsidies for these cleaner technologies?

My point was to illustrate that how you ask the question affects (greatly) the answer you will get.

Tim

You left off the easiest one of all - reduce your consumption.

That said, there is a huge opportunity in the storage space. If that is not practical, then perhaps a parallel distribution mechanism for the fluctuating power is practical - can be used to charge your electric car, or house batteries for supplementing your own solar or wind, etc. Neither is practical right now, but both address the glaring holes in the current system.

In 2011, when I went car shopping, it was still too expensive to purchase a hybrid car - I would not get my money back. Until that happens, there will continue to be a significant amount of opposition - there is not enough "value" in the "green" nature of things - certainly not enough for the general population to pay the extra cost.

Tim

As a long-term environmental advocate, I take conservation and efficiency as a given. :) I, too, look forward to cars and other automobiles getting leaner and more electric and, to your point, more affordable. Here's a place where tax subsidy would be helpful - giving us an even bigger tax credit to buy cleaner cars would ramp up their production, kicking in economies of scale. Personally I regret to this day that I missed 2+ years ago, by one day, getting a great deal on a used Honda Civic 2006 hybrid which had a small bump on its nose that brought down its price a couple thousand bucks. Waiting for a check to clear, I just missed it. Have been unhappy to make due with a lesser, non-hybrid car since.

Meanwhile, I ride my bike to work 2-3 days per week, effectively "doubling" the commuting mileage of my car :)

I would be more in favor of removing the subsidies for the 'dirty' fuels so that the true cost is passed along to the consumer. Then we will legitimately see if green power can compete. If gasoline was $7-$8 / gallon, then maybe people would start riding their bicycles more. Their health would improve, weight would go down, congestion would decrease, demand for gas would go down, health care costs would decrease...

Tim

"Do you support and encourage large wind and/or PV installations near your home?"

I'm not sure that's a fair question. Given the choice between "large wind and/or PV installations" and "garbage transfer station" or "meat processing plant" or "paper mill," what would most homeowners would pick?

There comes a point where constructing anything could lower property values. At the same time, it's unrealistic to expect ridgelines to remain unspoiled.

I don't have an answer to this.

I have seen a number of these windmill "farms" and don't find them offensive. The one nearest to me is on a ridge near Mt. Sunapee in Goshen I think. I ride my bike out that way from time to time and last summer I was coming down Rt. 31, heading toward Washington. There is a place that you have a great view out over a beautiful old farm and the windmills were spinning in the background. That is much nicer than any smokestack I have ever seen.
Rocket 21 said "The massive concrete footings on the mountaintops will be there forever (whereas a high tension line can be removed and the corridor reclaimed). Good luck getting trees to grow over a 6 to 30 feet deep, 30 to 50 feet wide X 30 to 50 feet long concrete footing.
I consider Rocket to be the best of the best on VIEWS but perhaps he should think about how long it is going to be before trees grow on any of the NH granite outcroppings. (Think White Horse Ledge). Concrete doesn't last all that long in NH because of the acid rain we get from places to the west.
Hi Rocket, I miss seeing you on the trails in the east.

If the choice was between "large wind and/or PV installations", conservation land or community recreation centers, which one would be last? Your variation is just as valid and fair as mine. The point was to consider it from all points of view. And at the moment, the choice is between what we have (unspoiled ridgelines) and ones lined with wind turbines. I don't feel that all the hidden costs and impacts are being fairly communicated to the public... not that I expect they would be.

Everybody likes it when they have good cell phone coverage. Nobody wants to look at an ugly cell phone tower. I don't suspect the turbines will be disguised as 400' tall evergreens any time soon.

I suspect that we as hikers are generally environmentally friendly people, and accept and welcome "green" energy more than the general population. It's just that we have unanswered questions and in this particular case it affects us personally, which was the point Driver8 was making and I set out to address.

Tim