Winter Hiking & Snowshoe Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I have not seen those used in over 10 years! But then again, they could be hard to see...

Those torturous things gave me a very bad case of sore arches when I was first winter hiking. Microspikes are so much of an improvement.

Wow, I have not seen those used in over 10 years! But then again, they could be hard to see...

I found a pair instep crampons in my closet and tried them on for fun last winter. Can't believe I sued to hike with those awful things and thought they were great. I recall being sore but everyone was wearing them. You had to be cool.
I was so thrilled when I got my first full crampons.

A question within the topic of winter hiking which interests me and which the OP may also want to know more about is fir traps. They sound scary. What does a newbie winter hiker need to know about them? How do you identify them so as to avoid them? How do you avoid them in low visibility? Are they more vexing on descent, ascent or on level terrain? At what elevation levels in northern New England do they need to be watched for? From 3000 to scrub belt? Do snowshoes tend to solve the danger they pose? Are there similar hazards to be watched out for? Any helpful advice on this will be most appreciated, thanks.

A question within the topic of winter hiking which interests me and which the OP may also want to know more about is fir traps. They sound scary. What does a newbie winter hiker need to know about them?

You can't identify them in advance per se - else they wouldn't be called "traps"... ;) They tend to form around small spruce trees which may become buried under the snow. So, if you see the top of a spruce tree - detour around it. The best way to avoid them entirely is to hike on broken trails. If that's not possible hike with others who may be able to help you out. But - don't obsess about it or you risk obscuring the very reasons you're out in the woods in the first place.

The most important thing is to have your camera handy so as to capture your hiking partner before he or she can escape the spruce trap. Then, being a good sport, you help them out, before posting that picture on the internet :)

jimmycarter04.jpg

Thanks, Jeremy

Tim

Chuckle. Thanks, Kevin and Tim. Do I understand correctly that a spruce/fir trap is a function of the snow's tendency to swirl around a small tree rather than fill in uniformly around it: so you're hiking along atop the snow at 3 feet above ground, or more, snow uniform except around the small trees, some of which are basically holes in the otherwise deep snow? So far, so good?

Last edited:
...Also, I know it's the middle of Winter, but does EMS or REI put snowshoes on sale this time of year or will I need to wait until Spring to get a deal?

Use the Spadout website and enter the product name you want to buy. I just got a pair of MSR EVO Ascents for $155 (including shipping). Occasionally you can get a deal in the middle of a season.

I have two pairs of Tubbs with the Talon crampons and a pair of Sherpas - all quite serviceable. However, if a trail is broken-out, the narrow snowshoes work far better. I did my last two hikes in the MSR's and noticed a HUGE difference in overall comfort with the narrower snowshoes, as they don't "bang" again the sides of the treadway. And the televators make a big difference on the steeps, like E. Osceola, N. Hancock, N. Tri, Brutie Bushwhack, etc.

I plan to carry a spare pair of snowshoes in my truck for friends who forget to pack theirs, as one did yesterday. Fortunately, it was a well-packed trail, and microspikes were OK.

Last edited:
Chuckle. Thanks, Kevin and Tim. Do I understand correctly that a spruce/fir trap is a function of the snow's tendency to swirl around a small tree rather than fill in uniformly around it: so you're hiking along atop the snow at 3 feet above ground, or more, snow uniform except around the small trees, some of which are basically holes in the otherwise deep snow? So far, so good?

You got it. Spruce traps tend to form on wind-blown ridges, or areas prone to high winds. In sheltered areas the snow tend to fall straight down, and they're rarely an issue.

Of course, now that I've said "and they're rarely an issue", some wisenheimer is going to tell us how in 1953 they were cruising along over East Bumblef*^k and noticed that Uncle Harry was no longer with them. Backtracking, they found him, unconscious, in a 17' deep trap in the middle of a well-beaten trail.

Last edited:
I fell into this one because the track we were following didn't exactly follow the corridor, and whoever made it was lighter than I am :) It's more likely to happen off trail, for obvious reasons, but in deep snow years, the trail corridor and blazes may be impossible to follow, especially where the trees are only 6'-8' tall. That photo was taken in the Carters between Dome and South, and the south end of Dome was way taller than the tip of the sign post on the actual summit. I'd guestimate 12-14' of snow (great views!) at that end of the clearing.

Tim

My personal experience is that snowshoes actually make it worse. When your foot or worse feet go down through the spruce trap you compress the branches on the way down. The branches tend to spread out as you pass by. It's hard enough trying to pull a bare boot out but it can be impossible to pull your foot out with the snowshoe still on. My experience is that you generally have to dig down and take the snowshoe off. I've never personally had the experience of stepping on a really deep trap but I heard about someone who went completely under over on the Isolation trail. :eek: As has been mentioned it isn't going to happen on a solid packed out trail. For me it has happened when going through an area that was snowed over or blown over and you veer off the trail a bit. It's happened to me between Star King and Waumbec, on the OBP just below the Greenleaf hut and between Pierce and Eisenhower. It that last case it was really getting difficult, the weather was turning bad and I was all alone and I did an about face and headed back. Ike had to wait for another day.:) As I think about it, it also happened to me in early spring on the Edmunds trail on that last stretch before you get to the col. For some reason, neither of my dogs has ever gone in one, but it certainly could happen.

Regarding spruce traps, you might see one coming, but not usually. Snowshoes help you avoid them, but once in, they hinder you getting out. If you are in a group, spread out.

If you can get your pack off, it might help. If you can access a rope, it might help if you can get it around another tree to help pull you out, but probably not. Don't panic. If you can't get out immediately, rest for a minute or two. Sometimes your feet get stuck under branches. Removing your snowshoes can be difficult, but it could help. From what I have seen, it's like trying to free yourself from ice, the edge can break as you try to get out. Usually, the tree itself can help you get out, if you can use its higher branches for support. If you have companions, they should approach you slowly, and down on their stomach, to spread out their weight.

Driver, I was on the trip Ed mentioned where someone went over their head into a spruce trap. It was not me but I also went in to shoulder level with snowshoes on. Its quite a let down and seemed like it happened in a fraction of a second. I tend to run hot when I hike so I was in a sleeveles t-shirt and now buried to my waist. Closest person to me was a big fellow that dared not enter the area. I just took my pack off and dressed up and dug myself out. Very time consuming, but we were all having the same fun! If you are out alone and get off trail and it happens the worst hazard would be if you get flipped upside down or even have multiple occurences that fatigue you! It is a noteworthy hazard but can be avoided by knowing the conditions, terrain and growth that create it.

Good to warn about spruce traps. The other warning I'd add is of snow in the spring, which rots out from the bottom up, making it possible to get into a cold and wet position as well. I had that happen to me on a hike about 12 years ago along the trail from Kinsman Notch to the Eliza Brook shelter.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already, but if you don't enjoy buying gear, then winter hiking may not be a good fit for you.

I mean sure, actually going out and hiking is a component, but its really only a small part of the sport compared to the time spent researching and buying the perfect boots, crampons, snowshoes, secondary crampons, microspikes, microspikes light, softshells, full-zip pants, goggles, ice axes, collapsible snowshoe poles, poles to replace the cheap collapsible poles you originally bought, non-collapsible poles to replace the expensive broken collapsible poles, and on and on. (If you've read this far it's probably time to replace your boots that you bought back at the start of the previous sentence.)

And winter hiking is really just the J.V. team at this compared to my favorite activities of climbing and backcountry skiing.

Man, I don't remember seeing so many posts go up so quickly, then again you all have a 3 hour jump on me. Not my neighborhood, but a ticket for no snowshoes? Whatever happened to "Live Free or Die!" and all that stuff?:)

I don't have anywhere near the experience as many of the posters, here, but I do know you want snowshoes. Even skis may not be enough in some conditions unless they are big fat BC skis - learned that firsthand. If money is an issue, look on Craigslist for bargains. I found a brand new (not even a few scratches) pair of Atlas 1225's out here on Craigslist (here being LA) and if I could find those here, there must be some snowshoes on your local Craigslist.

For boots, they aren't perfect, but a pair of Sorels or Kamiks should do you. I had a pair of Asolo double climbing boots, but they were incredibly heavy and super stiff, which was the whole idea for climbing, but not that comfortable for snowshoeing. I've worn Sorels with snowshoes. Ski poles will work fine. I just use my trekking poles with snow baskets, but really, it amounts to the same thing-something to keep you from falling over.

I remember reading a few years ago about a MeetUp group in the PNW who went on their first winter camp-didn't check the weather, no snowshoes or skis and guess what? The biggest storm in years hit and they wound up stuck, cold and hungry. Fortunately two of them were able to get help and after a huge SAR operation, they all made it back. Snowshoes could save you from winding up like that, or worse.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but there are others on what to carry with you, even on a dayhike. I'd read those as well. For example, I wear a pretty big pack, carry some extra clothes, a light bivy sack, stove and pot, a bit of food, light and a shovel, just in case.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already, but if you don't enjoy buying gear, then winter hiking may not be a good fit for you.

I mean sure, actually going out and hiking is a component, but its really only a small part of the sport compared to the time spent researching and buying the perfect boots, crampons, snowshoes, secondary crampons, microspikes, microspikes light, softshells, full-zip pants, goggles, ice axes, collapsible snowshoe poles, poles to replace the cheap collapsible poles you originally bought, non-collapsible poles to replace the expensive broken collapsible poles, and on and on. (If you've read this far it's probably time to replace your boots that you bought back at the start of the previous sentence.)

And winter hiking is really just the J.V. team at this compared to my favorite activities of climbing and backcountry skiing.

All that gear and no altimeter? Just kidding Cushetunk! Have a nice Friday and I agree with your post but some of us have to start out slow to keep within a budget and in the good graces of our spouse!;-)