Would you climb Mt Everest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a sucker for free things so my initial response would be yes. Perhaps I could have made the summit at one time but now I'm probably too chicken even for the icefall, and as mentioned the trek to Everest Base Camp is not the finest part of Nepal and has its own risks. If I thought it through I'd probably decline although I would have done it 30 years ago.

I would love to stand on the summit for a couple minutes but am not interested in climbing with crowds through the littered landscape.

If they could just fly you up ....

I would love to stand on the summit for a couple minutes but am not interested in climbing with crowds through the littered landscape.

If they could just fly you up ....
Maybe you could hitch a ride with Bear Grylls ;)

Absolutely, in a heart beat. But, this offer needed to be about 20 years ago, when I had the time but did not have the money. But, now I do not have the time (six months minimum, including time to train). Where was this offer 20 years ago, Craig? :)

Well....Not really

I would do it up to a point. A friend did a treking trip about 10 years ago up to just below the first base camp during the summer months. He said it was one of the best treks he had done. He was about 65 years old when he did it. Ever since then I have wanted to do what he did.

As for climbing the actual peak.... Not really. Those people that do that are very special people that I am not.

Absolutely, in a heart beat. But, this offer needed to be about 20 years ago, when I had the time but did not have the money. But, now I do not have the time (six months minimum, including time to train). Where was this offer 20 years ago, Craig? :)

Isn't that the way...

Once you have the time & money you don't have the physical stamina anymore.

Life just ain't fair :)

I would give it a shot if I was given the money and had the time.
I would agree with others though. I think there would be some interesting climbs without all the crowds that I would prefer to do. If I had 6 months and 60 grand to spend on climbing I would spend time in the Alps, Alaska, and the Rockies (Canada and U.S.).

Love to go. Always wanted to ever since I started backbacking way back there.

However, thoughts of freezing my butt off in a tent at Camp 11 while wating for a moth-long storm to pass is daunting.

Given my by-pass surgery, I'm sure the cardio would think it not a good idea.

I'll stick to a successful Ktaadn trip this year. The buracracy experience may be equivalent.

In my opinion, it would be much more interesting to ask this here :

Would you work your ass off for years, use all your savings and sacrifice everything to climb Everest ? And, if you didn't succeed, do it all over again ?

In my opinion, it would be much more interesting to ask this here :

Would you work your ass off for years, use all your savings and sacrifice everything to climb Everest ? And, if you didn't succeed, do it all over again ?
I guess that's a good question for Doug Hansen... and I guess the answer was yes back in 1996.

Only if I could go "light and fast".;)

Seriously...my body would not take the joke but the dream will never die.

Over the years I did some serious Himalayan "armchair mountaineering" and had a wonderful time. Only recently did I opt to share my many books with a VFTT member. I thought I would never part with them but the journey is better shared. It's perhaps the next best thing.

Godspeed to any of you who are young enough, have the finances, and the determinatation to "just do it"!
Don't wait too long. Time has a way of getting away from you.

Only if I could go "light and fast".;)

Only recently did I opt to share my many books with a VFTT member. I thought I would never part with them but the journey is better shared.

And this VFTT member will take this opportunity to thank you again! :) Alex and I are reading through those wonderful books. She particularly likes Lost on a Mountain in Maine.

I have always said it wouldn't be worth the risk or worrying to my family....but life changes minds. :rolleyes:

Going at least to Base Camp would be a really cool experience .:cool:

I will let you know in November after my return from attempting Imja Tse or better known as Island Peak...
6189 metres (20,305 feet).......:eek:

And this VFTT member will take this opportunity to thank you again! :) Alex and I are reading through those wonderful books. She particularly likes Lost on a Mountain in Maine.

You are most welcome. I thought Alex might really enjoy that one. I didn't have the heart to just drop them all off at Goodwill. They certainly went like "hotcakes" once I posted them.:) Very happy they found good homes where they are appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds very cool. Can't wait for the report. How high have you been to date ?

I've been up over 14,000 multiple times but this will definitly be my highest attempt. :eek:

This summer will be training and cardio work.... we will be trekking for 19 days, with slow acclimation.....Tr will have some amazing pics I promise!
:D