Would you climb Mt Everest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's all paid for and I had the time I wouldn't see why not. But generally as a mountain Everest doesn't really draw me in. I prefer more technical routes and a little less crowding.
Although it would be nice to do it since I could then have a response for every layperson who at any mention of mountain climbing asks "Are you going to climb Everest?" or "Have you climbed Everest?" as if it were the end-all of mountain challenge. I could mention tougher smaller peaks and more intense lines climbed and I would just get blank stares.

Last edited:
In my case it's not WOULD?, but COULD?;) And I'm pretty sure the answer is NO!

If it's all paid for and I had the time I wouldn't see why not. But generally as a mountain Everest doesn't really draw me in. I prefer more technical routes and a little less crowding.
Although it would be nice to do it since I could then have a response for every layperson who at any mention of mountain climbing asks "Are you going to climb Everest?" or "Have you climbed Everest?" as if it were the end-all of mountain challenge. I could mention tougher smaller peaks and more intense lines climbed and I would just get blank stares.

Ditto.....

Although being to lazy to write my own response, I guess I wouldn't make it anyways:rolleyes:

Yes, what cbcbd said. Real prizes would be G4, Cerro Torre, Robson, Eiger, etc. But if someone were paying, Everest would be fun, too.

What we really need is a VFTT sugar daddy...massive $ for all of us, so we could quit working and hike / climb whatever we want to.

Too crowded. Too crazy. There are many fine mountains in the world; I don't need to bag the biggest just because it's the biggest.

Nope.

A few Colorado peaks, Kilimanjaro, the NH4Ks...probably a few Italian Alps...don't see going much beyond that. Kilimanjaro's big, but it's a hike and not a climb, and I hear it's pretty mellow in spite of its height.

Everest is, and always will be, SO out of my league -- and comfort zone.

Too crowded. Too crazy. There are many fine mountains in the world; I don't need to bag the biggest just because it's the biggest.
I agree.

Too crowded. Too crowded with too many people compulsively driven to the disregard of the safety and well being of others as well as themselves and not enough of of those who put humanitarian instincts above what has become a rather trite, aside from the effort, accomplishment already achieved by so many true explorers.

Too crazy. Ego gratification for $65,000? Come on ... how many more books can be written about this mountain and the growing follies that occur there?

Many fine mountains in the world. Not to mention other adventures to commit the time, money and effort with more multi dimensional rewards.

Still, I admire the fortitude of those who try though I might mock their motives. Sort of like the first ones over a cliff in search of a new route, adventure or escape ... the rest follow like lemmings.

I would definetly do it and I would summit. I guess I dont get the negitive feedback about Everest other then people who really know they couldnt do it find it easy to rebuff it. I bet if you asked the same people if they would sleep with the cover girl for SI swimsuit mag they say "no not my type" yeah right. Not only is Everest beautifull, its historic and the standard route is fantastic climbing. You wouldnt want to traverse the Hillery step over all that air following in the footsteps of the greatest climbers in history? besides that the summit has alot of energy, its the apex of mountaineering because its the biggest, simply said it begs to be climbed. If I got the chance, not only would I take it, Id summit or die trying. In the words of the late great scott fisher " The summit or death, either way I win".

I'll be honest - I have been waiting for a VFTT-er to climb Everest and write a trip report for a long time. Do we have any members who have summited? I think i remember one member doing so but they only had a few posts and haven't been on in years.

I'll be honest - I have been waiting for a VFTT-er to climb Everest and write a trip report for a long time. Do we have any members who have summited? I think i remember one member doing so but they only had a few posts and haven't been on in years.
Someone from my college outing club died on Everest. Is that good enough?

However, I don't think he wrote a trip report...

Doug

i would also be content to just pocket the 60 grand and put it towards travelling the northeastern u.s. and hiking for the rest of my life.
That's a good point. Yeah, if someone was paying for me to go I'd be all for it, but just thinking about how much more climbing I'd get to do with a pure 60 grand handed to me - I'd be able to visit so many more climbing venues, afford many trips to Alaska, Patagonia, Canada, the Alps, to name a few. It would just seem kind of odd to put all my eggs in that one Everest basket when there are enjoyable and satisfying climbing in many other areas. I've been climbing enough to know that no one mountain or route will satisfy my need to not climb again.

Last edited:
Trip to Nepal for free and get my job back? SURE! Sign me up..........the actual attempt at the summit? Nah, I'll pass on that and just wander around for the month or so, down low where I can breathe without an oxygen
tank strapped to my back!! Take lots of pictures and enjoy the scenery!!

In a word... Yes!

But I'd rather put a once-in-a-lifetime trip like that into going to one of the poles (North or South, doesn't matter) via dogsled. For me that would be the ultimate experience.

with all the qualifers, leave of absence, sponsored, etc, etc , I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Moderator Note: Do not insult other posters. If you don't like what they say, report it to a moderator. Keep the conversation civil.