Your favorite photo of 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess ;)

P6040007-XL.jpg

Just one?? But 2011's not even over!

Fine. It even shows mountains in the background (they happen to be cloudy and blurry).

i026.jpg

Edit: since two people have asked, the flower-spike shown belongs to a bromeliad, I think in genus Puya. The plant looks a lot like an agave. Leaves are blade-shaped, thick and succulent, with thorns along the edges, and form a roughly spherical rosette - about two feet tall in this case. The flower spike sticks up from the center and is much taller - about six feet in this case, but this was a small one.

Last edited:
I don't have a whole lot of photos to choose from this year due to my lack of getting outside. This was Chocorua from South Moat this past April. I'd say it is one of my favorites...but still a run of the mill photo. I think everyone else's photos are great, though!

205154_1726207632543_1158978130_31543645_3231603_n.jpg

Karl

I don't have a whole lot of photos to choose from this year due to my lack of getting outside. This was Chocorua from South Moat this past April. I'd say it is one of my favorites...but still a run of the mill photo. I think everyone else's photos are great, though!

Your photo definitely has potential if you're willing to edit it a little bit in an image editing program.

A lot of the "greatness" of everyone elses photo has to do with how most of the photos in this thread are cropped. Try cropping out the sky on your photo so that the focus is on the mountains instead (the human eye tends to get drawn towards big open blank spots in pictures). This will also make it more panoramic, which emphasizes the height of the mountains more. Showing so much sky makes the mountains seem puny in comparison. :)

Another thing you can do is crop out some of one of the edges... with nature photography, you often don't want the focus of your photo centered, but 1/3 of the way from either side. Since Chocorua is the focus of your photo, I'd try cropping off a little bit of the left side of the photo so that the peak is 1/3 the width from the left side of the photo, and 2/3 the width from the right side.

I hope you don't mind, I took your photo and made both of these changes to give you an idea of how it would look. I also adjusted the contrast and saturation slightly (I'd wager that very few of the above photos haven't had either adjusted at least a little bit!). With only about a minute's worth of work, it looks like this:

ksearl1.jpg

Give both of these a try if/when you get a chance, and see how it looks (I use picasa for my image editing- it's a great program for making adjustments to photos quickly and easily, with plenty of automatic options that do the work for you)... After you do so, you'll also be able to upload a higher resolution photo without it being huge, which will make it easier to see detail. :)

Last edited:
Found one more and couldn't resist...

Adirondack Campsite... somewhere in the wilderness...

dscn0144fi.jpg

Choosing only one photo is hard. How about one of my fuzzy brothers in Alaska? He's not really charging the photographer, he's actually hurrying to his favorite fishing spot!

I need more time and more than 1 photo too. Lets start a top 10!

For now I will post this one from a trip this October up the Hell Brook trail on Mount Mansfield, VT coming from Smugglers Notch.

Why? I guess its because I was just working on editing this batch. And with the downed tree in the middle of the falls, the shot seemed to capture the essence of the year in hiking in light of Tropical Storm Irene; water's power amid natures peace and constancy. The seasons marched on after it.

IMG_3531.JPG

Last edited: