Your Favorite USA-Canada Hiking Destination/ National Parks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's alot to expect...

from just a single place. Here are some ideas that will satisfy some of your needs..

For great vistas and views without a backpack into the backcountry try some of our scenic Highways. Here are some of my favorite ( visit in August or early Sept. to avoid bugs and crowds)

The Northway in New York State- leads to the Adirondacks

Driving thru the Notches in the White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire- Like through Franconia Notch (day hike up to Cannon Mountain for great views) or Pinkham Notch-

Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia

Beartooth Highway (Montana)- many trailheads to access

Cheif Joseph Highway (Wyoming)

Drive through Wind River area (Wyoming)

Monument Valley (Arizona)

Needles Highway- visit Custer State Park- great animal viewing. Badlands, and Mount Rushmore

National Parks- usually crazy crowded in summer when everyone is vacationing, but I have found the end of Aug and beginning of Sept it is very empty and enjoyable and lots of wildlife to be seen- avoid during Memorial day weekend

Yellowstone NP-Moose, Elk, Bison, Deer, Bears (Black and Grizzly) Wolves (if you are lucky) lots of smaller mamamals and birds.

I could go on forever...

Last edited:
woodstrider said:
National Parks- usually crazy crowded in summer when everyone is vacationing, but I have found the end of Aug and beginning of Sept it is very empty and enjoyable and lots of wildlife to be seen- avoid during Memorial day weekend
Except for the desert southwest--March, April, and May have much better temps.

Doug

If you wish to expand beyond National Parks to National Monuments (as I understand it an area gets designated a Monument prior to a Park) then there are other personal favorites of mine. For example, Mike already mentioned Canyon de Chelly in Arizona, and Escalante in Utah is another, as well as the area of around it (Kanab and Dixie NF's).

Another 'variation' on National Parks are areas designated 'National Historical Park', and Chaco Canyon is one of those. It's an astonishing place, and rather remote - you have to drive many miles on a dirt road to get there. You can enjoy it on many levels - just be aware that it's not the typical end-destination tourist place. Here's a quote from the website -
Chaco Culture National Historical Park preserves one of America's most significant cultural and historic areas. Chaco Canyon was a major center of Puebloan culture between AD 850 and 1250. The Chacoan sites are part of the sacred homeland of Pueblo Indian peoples of New Mexico, the Hopi Indians of Arizona, and the Navajo Indians of the Southwest, all of whom continue to respect and honor them. Chaco Culture National Historical Park is a very special place. Remote and isolated, it offers few amenities, so come prepared. You will find that the rewards are unlimited.
There are other NP's, NM's and NF's in the Southwest with Chocoan culture - sometimes called Anazai (sp?) or Ancient Ones.

There are lots of awesome places to see in this country - the trick is to resolve to see some of them and then dedicate the time/money to begin.

Kevin

Last edited:
Ill take yosemite, as far as Baxter goes, I done it once and while it was nice, I never went back, to far imo for what you get. They wouldnt let me solo it in the winter, I guess that did it for me.

Kevin Rooney said:
Another 'variation' on National Parks are areas designated 'National Historical Park', and Chaco Canyon is one of those. It's an astonishing place, and rather remote - you have to drive many miles on a dirt road to get there.

I'll second your opinion on Chaco. Amazing place, almost spooky.

glacier it is!

well lots of great input. we've decided on glacier. let me pass this along tho to anyone else thinking of going there. when searching for places to stay don't stop at the first ones that pop up on web searches. the usual touristy ones. i've been web surfing for the last 2 days big time - there's lots of variety, better places and prices. you can rent your own cabin or cottage from a private owner for a week for less them some dumpy hotel! there's also lots of cool cabins etc. if you go with a few people you can live like royalty too for very reasonable. so now that i've decided on the destination just have to find accomodations and book the airfare.... i can't wait!!!!

Another nod to Chaco Canyon. I've gotten hooked on the desert, and it doesn't get anymore deserted than a place with huge ancient stone structures that used to teem with people who aren't there anymore. Ghostlike indeed. BTW, there are dozens of other Anasazi sites in that part of the southwest.

And as noted it's 25 miles on a dirt road pretty much impassable when it rains. So the only people you'll see there are the ones who really wanted to go in the first place. What could be better than that?

Many Glacier

shadowcat-
Check out staying in the park at Many Glacier for a couple of days. There are SO many great dayhikes starting right from there. We stayed at the Swiftcurrent Motel. There is also a grand hotel there on the lake. Then we moved to a private chalet on the other side of the park to finish out our week.

The hiking guide " Glacier and Waterton National Parks" by Vicki Spring is a great book. We selected a lot of our trails before we left. You'll get so excited just looking at the pictures. Hope it's still in print!

Having been to Glacier, Rocky Mt, Yellowstone, and Tetons, Glacier is my favorite. We are off to Zion, Bryce, and North Rim GC in May. So we'll see if Glacier remains #1.

Enjoy the planning stage - it's a big part of the fun!

Lodging Near Glacier

Hi All! Just finished booking our lodging. I was turned onto a site called VRBO (vacation rentals by owner). On it you can find private cabins, cottages, homes,condos, etc that you can rent by day, week and month. Let me tell you if you are going with a few people you can rent a killer lodge for less then any "decent" place on, in or near Glacier. Not only that but read the reviews on the lodging. Places like Many Glacier have outstanding views, no doubt, but the reviews of the lodging vs the costs - personally i can't justify it. I'm not going to pay big bucks to stay in a closet sized musty room - not when you have views and scenery pretty much anywhere in the area besides we will be out going to various places anyway so i'm not into paying for the view. i'd rather pay for the quality and location of lodging. location meaning good access. That said we found a beautiful cabin from that site vrbo, minutes from the W Glacier entrance on 6 acres, fireplace, more bedrooms then we need, decks, hot tub and beautiful views for $1500 for 9 days. Yes that's more then many want or need to spend but this is kind of a special vacation so we wanted to splurge a little more then usual. However, we could have spent $800 for a private cabin in the woods so there's plenty of choices. Just depends too on how far you feel like driving each day. We tried to limit the driving time to the park as there's still plenty of driving to do from that point on. We also found a great place in E Glacier where most of the great hikes are . Anyway just wanted to pass that along - i researched many of the listings and areas, speaking to locals for recommendations - they were a huge help. VRBO has private rentals all over the country so if you want a more private accomodation for the same as a hotel or commercial cabin at least ck it out. It's unreal what you can stay in, esp if you have others to share the cost. I am so excited about going I can't stand myself!!! Thanks for all the help - Bj / Shadowcat :cool:

I'd add Sequoia / Kings Canyon...

Ropers route is one of the best backcountry cross country routes in the country.

Basically take the John Muir Trail, remove the people, trails etc.