Here comes the big spring snowstorm for the Whites!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Get ready! Parts NH are gonna get rocked with possibly the largest snow storm since october! Higher elevation will win by far, but even areas like Franconia ;), berlin and others could get 4-8 inches by wednesday. I would say above 3000 feet we are looking at a big snowstorm with above 4000 feet getting 2 feet of wet heavy snow. Get your winter gear back out if you put it away. -Mattl

Don't be cruel ... April 1st was yesterday!
;)

(and if it really does snow, I'll have to look and see what, if any, ski areas are still open)

MichaelJ said:
Don't be cruel ... April 1st was yesterday!
;)

(and if it really does snow, I'll have to look and see what, if any, ski areas are still open)

No he is right, there is a very strong possibility of this happening thanks to the cold front that moved through recently and a potent system on the approach. The new england weather system always works this way with at least one good snow fall before spring really sets in.

Flocks of robins showed up this weekend, and I saw my first bluebird of the season yesterday. There's always at least one snowstorm after that, which won't hang around long in the valleys but will increase the snow pack higher up. (Click on the "Recreation" tab on this site and you'll see snow predicted above 4000' tonight.)

It looks like the whites are definetly getting slammed starting tonight..and now they are forecasting snow down to the berkshires of mass! Even here at Plymouth we could get 2-4 inches. This is the classic spring settup. But dont worry Dr. Wu, after another shot of high mountain snow and valley rain friday, it looks like it gets very spring like next week. -Mattl

Does anyone have a link to a forecast that mentions the 'several feet' predicted above?? The one link to the Fairbanks museum only had this to say;

"MOUNTAIN FORECAST: Clouds lowering onto the summits west to east with showers developing. Strong winds, especially on the western slopes of the Green Mountains. Rain changing to snow west to east Tuesday, with several inches possible."

Chas.

Snow Queen Answers Call but Delivers to Wrong Address!

Looks like the yoopers naked hoo-ra cha cha chant in hopes the mighty snow queen finds her way home worked but not for the Daks! Oh well it was awfully nice out there yesterday in a t-shirt. :cool:

Hmmm.....Giggy, do you think the forecast is coming from the ranger at Hermit Lake??? That would explain the confusion. :D :D

-MEB

From the observatory high summit forecast.

"Showers will start overnight and since temperatures will be hovering around 30, there is a chance for freezing rain just before turning to snow. Snow will continue into tomorrow and will fall at a fairly decent rate throughout the day tomorrow"

From WMUR(Manchester NH)

"Tuesday Night & Wednesday: Periods of snow with several inches of accumulation possible before tapering off Wednesday night. Western slopes, ski areas and higher elevations could see over 6" of snow! Lows in the lower 20's and highs in the lower 30's...wind chills in the teens!"

I have to agree, this storm could potentially one of those late season dumpers. Watches are already up for Coos, Grafton and Sullivan counties in NH as well as some watches/warnings in the higher elevations of VT. If the watches materialize and the potential 1-2 inch liquid does occur, that does translate into 10-20 inches of wet snow in the upper elevations (above 3000 ft) and easily 6+ inches in the mentioned watch/warning areas.

Of note....I live in Chester NH.....southeast NH 20 miles from the beach. We have had on and off sleet at 47 degrees since 4:45 pm. So this is obviously a dynamic system. Looks like areas all the way down to trailhead might be conducive for snow shoeing by the time this is over! :D

grouseking

Their predicting up to 15 inches of snow, in the Higher Elevations of the Adirondacks tonight, the wet, heavy stuff. We're not suppose to get to much in the valley. Mother Nature gets her last hurrah in for this season.

Keep the Faith!

This is one of the GREAT things about New England and the ADK.
Anything can happen if the conditions are RIGHT.
Who Knows ?

From the MWN web site!

Now, on to the real excitement. I couldn't have drawn a more perfect track for a late season snowstorm on Mount Washington than the one that the current forecast holds. A direct bullseye of moisture, cold air and moist upsloping winds will combine to give the White Mountains a snowfall that will likely need to be measured in FEET in the higher elevations! And considering that we haven't had a real snowstorm since October up here, you might gather that we're a bit ... well, out of shape. The shovels and my back should be getting a workout soon, stay tuned!

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/index.php

I think that about puts any questions to rest.

grouseking

The picture on the Mount Washington Weather site of the hole on the clouds is amazing...You can see a plane's contrail through the hole!