HOT,HAZY & HUMID this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Plan accordingly, everyone. It's going to be sticky climbing mountains this weekend, with temps in the White Mountains in the 90's.:eek:

How do you cope? Earlier starts, hike slower, more water, special diets?

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
I think early starts are important. Start with the sun and you'll get the most cool weather hiking for the day.

Other than that it's just the usual... lots of water, stick to the shady hikes. If you tend to sweat a lot then some gatorade would be good.

Saturday I'm going paddling - get hot? Roll... aaah :)

forestnome said:
Plan accordingly, everyone. It's going to be sticky climbing mountains this weekend, with temps in the White Mountains in the 90's Saturday and 100's by Sunday :eek:

I cope by moping and pouting, AT HOME. That's my plan and I'm "sticking" to it.

Our group of three are hiking Katahdin/Hamlin on Saturday. Will drink more water and whenever I run into a water source, I will do the "Clint Eastwood Trick". In one of Clint's old Spaghetti Westerns, he came to a stream, took off his hat, dipped it into the water and then put it back on. The water in his hat poured over his head and down his face and neck. This cools you off quick! I have turned a lot of people on to this trick. Highly recommended.

We will also hike early and may take an easier route than planned (up Hamlin RIdge, down Saddle) due to the heat and the possibility of PM thunderstorms. If it the weather moderates and stabilizes, we will revert to our original plan to go up Cathedral and down Hamlin Ridge.

Marty

A shorter, flatter, slower hike with LOTS of watering opportunities for the pooches.

Dugan four-legs planned for this by having surgery in April. The rehab will knock him out of hiking all summer, thus leaving him home with access to a nice cool cellar floor.

forestnome said:
Plan accordingly, everyone. It's going to be sticky climbing mountains this weekend, with temps in the White Mountains in the 90's.:eek:

I drink more water, but otherwise don't find that the heat bothers me much while hiking. I'll wet a bandanna and wear it on my head to cool off. I've also found that wearing a lightweight Merino wool T-shirt keeps me from overheating.

I drink lots of water, take lots of breaks, hike slower, choose shady hikes, and take advantage of all water spots to cool off. Last summer I had my first experience with heat illness and it's something I never wish to experience again. I'll also keep a cooler in the car with some water/gatorade when I'm finished.

-MEB

Someone should make a small solar powered fan you can attach to your pack so that it blows air against your face! :D

Heck, someone probably does, I'm just too lazy to search for it right now!

I'll be dealing with the extra heat, extra long as I'm going on a multiday backpacking trip!

The plan will be VERY early starts, lots of water, wetting bandannas at streams, drinking gatorade, and most importantly loooong break in the afternoon so we're not schlepping our heavy packs during the hottest time of the day.

Gotta get used to these warmer temps. Unless things change, this is the winter hiking of the future! :(

Even though it will be HOT this weekend, I figure that it will be cooler in the mountains than it will be a home! I try to pick hikes that aren't exposed, with more shade and with more streams. I also bring and drink more water, and I usually wet a bandanna to place around my neck, but have discovered that taking off my shirt and wetting it in a stream and then putting it back on is even better! If possible, I try to look for hikes with a stream near the trailhead so that on the way back to the car, I can cool off!

Pre-hydrate. If you wait until the hike to start drinking, you're too late. Electrolyte drinks IMHO are a must. Good point about Clint's wet hat. You can also cool yourself off real good by immersing your hands in a cool stream and keep them there for a full minute.

Another good point about the shade. I went up Whiteface on Father's Day and it was 82 degrees at an open Rollins Trail outlook just north of Whiteface's summit. It was 73 degrees back in under the forest canopy. 9 degrees plus the solar radiation is a lot of heat to avoid.

Of course, after saying that, I'll be out in the open on the Tri-P slides Sunday AM. But we'll get an early start and should be done by lunch.

JohnL

drink loads of coffee and beer - :eek: :eek: :confused:

seriously, just drink loads water/gatorade, etc.. take it easy, etc.. and you will have no worries. watch out for heat cramps, etc.. listen to your body.

I will be thinking of you all as I am camping in the snow :D :D :D on sunday.

Good time for those hikes with all the tough trail crossings. If you fall in...so what?

dug said:
Good time for those hikes with all the tough trail crossings. If you fall in...so what?
I understand what you're saying. But, if you get your feet really wet and soggy, blisters tend to develop faster. Just ask Laurie!
:(

I just allow myself to get massively dehydrated, drink too much at once, puke, take a nap, drink more, puke, drink more, feel a little better, drink more, and drag myself back to the car.

At least that's what happened once or twice.

Find your pace, people. Drink often. Get those electrolytes back in. Take a dip in a stream or a lake.

i like to keep a frozen litre bottle or platypus with a cap top in my day pack, i can feel it a little against my back as i hike then at breaks its nice to hold, rest on my belly, back etc...o yeah and drink.
otherwise on really hot days i try to get to a pool but since i live in the city and pools are mega crowded and potentially full of pee i tend to hang out at bookstores like barnes and noble and read magazines before checking out a movie.
i also spend alot of time thinking of Newfoundland!! :D

Tom Rankin said:
I understand what you're saying. But, if you get your feet really wet and soggy, blisters tend to develop faster. Just ask Laurie!
:(

Seeing as I have no clue who Laurie is, I guess I won't.....

charlos said:
i also spend alot of time thinking of Newfoundland!! :D

Been there once...CANNOT WAIT TO GO BACK!!!!!

I don't hike, pure and simple. The colors were changing in my eyes in 75 degree weather on the North Tri Slide last week, so there is no way I'm risking heat exhaustion or stroke. And the chance for thunderstorms is increasing for Saturday. If I were forced on a hike (its easy to do that) it would be in the woods, no elevation gain and to a swimming area....likely right by the road!

grouseking

Dugan said:
Dugan four-legs planned for this by having surgery in April. The rehab will knock him out of hiking all summer, thus leaving him home with access to a nice cool cellar floor.

tfw4.jpg

Dugan's a winter hiker anyway, like me. On these hot days I like to get the uphill stuff done early....I also like the hat in the stream, it works great.