Stylin' on Moosilauke 3.18.07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glencliff

nice hike..way to go mad townie..how about the glencliff trail..the best in the whites by far---thanks steven martin for all your work..

Congrats again MT. A memorable ending to your quest for the NH 48s. Enjoyed reading the trip report and great pictures as well. Had a grand time hiking with the group and can now put a face to many of the names seen on the VFTT posts. One hopes we will hike together again. All the best!

Split around the Cairn!

Double Bow - I saw when you did the split/hug of the cairn and I thought it was funny until I got blown off the trail not paying attention! :eek: :D

Ridgewalker - your Magic pic is now my laptop background...but it is having this sort of aweful calming effect...which isn't helping me in my crazy job!! Ahhh..so nice! :)

Funny, I ended up using one of Ridgewalker's pics on my work background too. All of those pics came out nice.. unlike mine which at 97% crap :) I go for quantity not quality apparently :)

PS

This is the first hike i haven't brought my camera on.. In a long time. My poor camera lives in my car and I carpooled up with Early Bird (10,000,000 thanks again!) and forgot it! D'oh! This would have made for a good thumbs up too hehe.

Congrats Townie!! So this certainly sounds to be the hike-o-hikes for the St Pat's weekend!! I thought the TR for the Owls Head was great and that RnR's compared it to this is insane -- the pictures just don't tell the whole story.

Epic hikes with celebration just don't happen every day. Seems there was magic all over the white this past w/end. Glad you all had such a grand time.

Ridgewalker - I especially like the Garden of Conifers. Nice job on the pics. Abster and the rest of you -- good job hauling the old guy up!! ;)

marchowes said:
All of those pics came out nice.. unlike mine which at 97% crap :)
Marc, that's part of the secret. People used to say that a pro photog would be happy to get one decent shot out of a whole roll. It's one of the nice things about digital--you can take a zillion shots and not have to pay for all that celluloid! Just delete the bad ones. And we ALL take bad ones. In fact, I seem to be really good at that part! :(

Ridgewalker, the more I look at your pix, the more "the lone climber" affects me. It's a really beautiful shot!

Seems that we just missed BCBorder--saw a few skiers, but no boards before we headed back down.

BTW, folks, Redington's gonna have to wait. I only allow one "death march" per mountain, and it's already had its allotment! :D So I'll sit and watch the snow melt for a bit before I return (with what's starting to sound like quite a crew!). I think people just like to hike with me because of my high "epic" percentage! ;)

Cabot in the rain in January, anyone?

Ya, I remember once telling a far more more competent photographer than I "I figure about 1:200 pictures I take turn out to be good"

His response was "really? thats pretty good!"

Back last September when the weather was being very cooperative I was taking lots of good shots. Not so much this winter tho (sadly) Now I am down to about 1:800 :)

Last edited:
Congrats MT. Quite an accomplishment. This trail was serene and mystical, and in great shape. Lots of good energy from the crew (except for Marty who committed an unprovoked assault on one of the nice team members :eek: ) Got to spend much of the trip up with a fellow scout and assist with a snowshoe repair on the summit while awaiting the guest of honor. Great pics all!!

mtnpa said:
Lots of good energy from the crew (except for Marty who committed an unprovoked assault on one of the nice team members :eek: )

Thanks for opening up that wound, Mtnpa. And I was just telling Sapblatt what a great guy you were... ;) ;)

Yeah, I got my snowshoes crossed and fell backwards into Ridgewalker. We then both took the Nestea plunge into the snow. Marc saw we were having fun and did his own mock wipeout!

Sorry again about that, Ridgewalker! :D :eek:

By the way, my hiker high is now three days old. Hope it never ends!

Regards,
Marty

Brewster said:
Congrats again MT. A memorable ending to your quest for the NH 48s. Enjoyed reading the trip report and great pictures as well. Had a grand time hiking with the group and can now put a face to many of the names seen on the VFTT posts. One hopes we will hike together again. All the best!

Congrats on your first post! Mind you don't become one of those cronic posters though with hundreds of posts to your credit and yet little actually said... oh... wait... :eek: :D

I'm so glad that everyone had such a great time too. I guess you had to be there to really get a feel for all the positive energy that was flowing, but I think everyone's posts can sort of give you an idea of what a great experience it was for all of us.

Sorry Marty, I know you wanted to have the last word. I'll make it up to you by NOT posting on your 15min of fame thread! :p :D

marty said:
Thanks for opening up that wound, Mtnpa. And I was just telling Sapblatt what a great guy you were... ;) ;)

Yeah, I got my snowshoes crossed and fell backwards into Ridgewalker. We then both took the Nestea plunge into the snow. Marc saw we were having fun and did his own mock wipeout!

Sorry again about that, Ridgewalker! :D :eek:

Regards,
Marty

No problem sir (you've reinsituted me to call people sir, and its a good thing). Peter, I'm glad to have joined you on your climb, and also feel free to make the loner climber a desktop background. The hike is a pricless memory captured in time with the photos. For some reason You Tube has not be nice to me and I can't load the video properly :(

Abster, sometimes a photo have a soothing effect, I say it's a beautiful thing!

Ridgewalker

Last edited:
Whoo Hoo!!! Congrats to you Peter :) Sounds like you all had a very challenging day :) Like the pics and the TR.
kmac

Glen Cliff Trail

drewski said:
nice hike..way to go mad townie..how about the glencliff trail..the best in the whites by far---thanks steven martin for all your work..

"Me too, me too!" I have shared maintenance of the GCT with Steve for the past few years (8#?). I do more of the brushing, Steve more of the water bars and blow downs. Speaking of which, is there anything that needs our attention at the moment (i.e., blow downs)? I like to go up around this time of year to get a better reach from the snowpack for brushing. With the southern exposure, this trail veges in really fast.

Good choice for a final NH4 summit (and trail); congrats, MT! I made the same choice for my final NH4 in November 1968, a mere 38+ years ago.

Dr. D.

Glencliff is a BEAUTIFUL trail! No blowdowns that I remember, oh wait, one fat one, about 6-8 inches, easy to get around or over (walker's choice). Don't know how high it will be off the ground when the snow's gone.

You two have done a tremendous job on that trail--thank you for helping to make my 48th that much more pleasurable.

marty said:

If you can drag it out two one more day, it will be the weekend and you can do it again! :D That's how I always try to work it.
Townie said:
Ridgewalker, the more I look at your pix, the more "the lone climber" affects me. It's a really beautiful shot!
Also, I'm glad everyone kept talking about the "Lone Hiker" picture. The first time I viewed the picture- in slideshow mode- I couldn't for the life of me find the lone hiker. I figured he blended in with the white expanse. :eek: Today I went back to try again. Again I couldn't see anyone, so I took it off slideshow mode and clicked on the pic to see it blown up, there he is! Cropped off to the right. It is a cool one. I had had "leaving the peak" as my background, but swapped it out for "Gorgeous Walking". Lots of good ones.