5th Annual Adirondack BBQ and Hiker Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In direct competition with Spencer, I am having a BBQ that same weekend at my house in Hawaii. Who is in?

- darren

ps: OK, will you guys at least call my cell phone while you are sitting around the fire and drink a beer with me over the phone?

I'm in...

In direct competition with Spencer, I am having a BBQ that same weekend at my house in Hawaii. Who is in?

oh wait a minute, I'm going to the VIBES w/ Shizzy that weekend.

Reactions: arm
peak_bgr said:
5th Annual Adirondack BBQ and Hiker Gathering
August 9-12th, 2007​

Saturday; A lot of hiking going on, people getting back late, some earlier. We have an all out bash. Alot of beer and food. It’s a pot-luck as usual; I will be cooking a huge piece of meet again. So bring some beer to share and a dish to share as well.
What do folks suggest to bring for Saturday's pot luck? I will be getting there on Thursday, so refridgeration will be necessary for something like a tuna-macaroni salad. I thought of scotch (a nice single malt), my wife suggested brownies or a sheet cake.

My observations from last years event for food is that quality not quantity is the key for bringing something for potluck. Appetizers and finger foods seem to be popular. Try bring a regional speciality. No real need to bring sheetpans full of stuff and try to find something that requires minimal preparation. The spicier the better!

I have one fridge that gets very full, very fast. But coolers work the best and there's a place to get ice 24 hrs just down the road.

Scotch sounds great too!!

Paradox said:
What do folks suggest to bring for Saturday's pot luck?
Lobster and a Single-malt! Besides having lobster races on Friday nite should be entertaining. :cool:

Isn't a Hawaiian BBQ a Luau?? Besides, I'm thinking hard here... Darren at Spencer's BBQ??? Nope can't recall it. You know what you're competing with? Grilled steaks and Steamship Round of Beef :D

ahhh... really sorry that you'll have to miss it! :p

Speaking of hiking during the BBQ Weekend, here are a few hikes that Laurie and I were considering:

MacNaughton - Long day!

Hurricane - Up the East side, down the South side. We'd need 2 cars. Great views!

Pitchoff - Again, car spot helpful. Again, great views! :D

Nun-da-gao (sp?) ridge?

Something in the Jays?

Barbara and I will be up in the ADKs during the week before the Gathering.
I was already thinking about Nundago-Crows and Jays as options.
Barb likes the moderate stuff with nice views. Also had a bunch of other potential stuff like Scarface, Hopkins, Snow, Haystack by LP, St Regis, Gilligan. Azure.
If someone wants to do the Pitchoff Ridge, we can see the mountain from the deck of the place we're staying at. I was looking to get up on Brown Mt, on Pitchoff's eastern side.

My experiences with 2 of Spence's gatherings/BBQ's is that you hike all day, eat a lot of great food, party late into the night with fun people and then get up early the next morning and repeat. After 3 days of that I was totally and utterly spent but had a smile that "lasts a long while".

If you're in doubt, just go. Very good people. You will have fun, trust me on that.

It's definatly Nippletop and Dial on Friday. Via Gravestone Brook down to Hunter Pass.

Saturday is wide open for me. But nothing huge, I need to be back to cook. How about a bushwhack up Big Slide then down over the Brothers??

I couldn't get the spit this year so no huge piece of beef. But I'm gonna grill up some kind of meat.

peak_bgr said:
Getting closer and closer. Any final questions.

Spence,

When is a good time to show up on Sat? We need to be in two places on Sat but want to meet as many as we can, any ideas?

num num num said:
When is a good time to show up on Sat? We need to be in two places on Sat but want to meet as many as we can, any ideas?
Don't worry about arriving too late, there were still folks up at 2-3 am last year although not the max #

Anybody know if you can get Kalashnikov vodka here yet?