Who are the legends of the New England mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
I was looking over my copy of Forest and Crag yesterday, and I have to say that I am amazed by the collective knowledge and experience of Guy and Laura Waterman.

I have also read accounts about the larger-than life visage of Ethan Allan Crawford and his efforts at constructing the Crawford Path.

I have heard stories of John Swanson poring over quad maps, Dennis Crispo hanging jars on the very highest points on many bushwhack summits, and the signs that Ray Chaput placed on peaks in NH.

We have all heard of the wing-footed exploits of Tim Seaver, Ted Keizer, Stinkyfeet, Frodo, and Cath Goodwin....

My question to you is, who do you consider to be the legends of these mountains? I'm sure many people can share some interesting and educational stories that we could all benefit from reading!

My parents, for introducing me to the mountains at a very young age. Encouraging my entire family to see nature, learn from it, push your physical limits, and for providing me with a lifetime of adventure and memories.

dug said:
My parents, for introducing me to the mountains at a very young age. Encouraging my entire family to see nature, learn from it, push your physical limits, and for providing me with a lifetime of adventure and memories.

I'm sure we all have someone that has inspired us individually... however, I'm looking for something more historical. People that we all should know about. Who were the pioneers? Who did something ground-breaking?

I found some interesting stories here:
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/newsletters/summer2006/article3.html
and here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/winter-2004-records.html

I know these are speed-hiking records, but I'm more interested in hearing about mountain stewards. And feel free to be descriptive!

Tom Sawyer

I'm always amazed at the winter exploits of Tom & Diane Sawyer. You should read some of their entries in the Maine 3k jars... "got out of the tent at 3am, -30 degrees, reached summit by 11am, 3 feet of unconsolidated powder..."

Well maybe I'm embellishing a bit :eek:, but, their winter exploits in pursuit of the NE3k's are stuff legends are made of.

Last edited:
don't forget folks like jim maccarthy, rick wilcox, brad may, paul cormier
marc chauvin, etc, etc.. (I am forgetting many here, but their names are all over the NE ice book) that banged out many first ascents on snow and ice routes throughout new england.

something about being the first person on a hard ice route without knowing what to expect, and many were done in the 1970's with gear that was primitive by today's standards. - kind of takes the cake for new england mountaineering - at least IMO.

There are also folks who I don't know names for that climb all the huntington gullies in a day - to put this in perspective, A day in huntington ravine with a technical climb and then summit slog is much more tiring to me than a 20 mile hike and I haven't done the toughest gullies in there!

not taking anything away from the others you mention at all - but these are people that make me sit back and go - wow!

Last edited:
A climber:
"Hot" Henry Barber - climbed things no one fathomed to climb at a time when 13 year olds weren't punching out 5.13s and hardmen were only thinking 5.9s.
Not only a hard climber, but proponent of a clean ground-up style - traveled the country and the world just literally schooling every "crag" he set foot on.
He is still a local voice in the N Conway climbing scene and every new story I hear about him just takes my breath away.

But, there are so many other local heroes that this is just the start - and yes, reading any Waterman book will give you a primer to the people who had influence in the NE.

In the ADK's, PinPin (Alain Chevrette) is certainly a legend, and has certainly been an inspiration to many of us. And an all-around good guy.

In the Catskills, grid finishers such as Harry Rampe and Ralph Ryndak (AKA Hermit, AKA NightDog) have my admiration. Grid = 35 peaks x 12 (420 peaks). I've never met Harry (maybe this weekend), but I've known Ralph for a few years and can vouch that he is a great guy, always helpful, shares information if ya ask him, and is a good steward of the mountains.

giggy said:
don't forget folks like jim maccarthy, rick wilcox, brad may, paul cormier
marc chauvin, ...

something about being the first person on a hard ice route without knowing what to expect, and many were done in the 1970's with gear that was primitive by today's standards. - kind of takes the cake for new england mountaineering - at least IMO.
Agree and same here... John Bouchard (soloing the first ascent of the Black Dike), Rainsford Rouner and Tim Rouner (Promenade WI5+, Last Gentleman W5)... and these are just a few. I s**t my pants looking at these routes today with my modern equipment and plenty of beta.

And today we are still pumping them out - Kevin Mahoney, who was nominated for the Piolet D'or last year.

It goes on...

Last edited:
Paul Bernier, Tom Sawyer, Ray Chaput, Eugene Daniell III and...Roy Schweiker
History for you right there !

albee said:
I'm sure we all have someone that has inspired us individually... however, I'm looking for something more historical. People that we all should know about. Who were the pioneers? Who did something ground-breaking?

I found some interesting stories here:
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/newsletters/summer2006/article3.html
and here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/winter-2004-records.html

I know these are speed-hiking records, but I'm more interested in hearing about mountain stewards. And feel free to be descriptive!

I appreciate that, but I was going for this definition: Archaic. a story of the life of a saint, esp. one stressing the miraculous or unrecorded deeds of the saint.

As for the other kind, think about Darby Field and any of the Indian tribe members for which many of the mountains are named.

All of us! :D

Seriously, I'd probably add a few more of the SAR volunteers, the orginal Mike P on the hiking bbs's; Mike Pelchat who also works at the MW State Park.

cbcbd said:
Percival Baxter
I would put him at the top of the list because of what he did and because I know his name. But there must be countless people, known and unknown, who have worked hard to ensure that the mountains and surrounding areas are designated recreation/beautiful areas and not closed off commercial enterprises.

There's always a "first" or a "fastest" or a "most" but without the people that secured the land for our use we wouldn't be having this conversation. The management of the lands will never suit everyone (as we've seen here) whether it be wilderness ares, ski resorts, snow mobile trails and whatnot but even if it is imperfect it allows us to hike the 48 or the 46 or 35 with relative ease and comfort and allows a pretty interesting resource to be available to all the people here. Sure, we all know Percival Baxter's name but I'd also like to tip my cap to the other lesser-known individuals that helped make the parks and forests what they are today.

We're all going to have individuals that are uniquely legends for all us. Purely in terms of hiking, my own personal legends are Steve Smith and Tom W.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
James P. Taylor -> Long Trail

Myron Avery and Benton MacKaye -> AT

John Weeks -> Weeks Act

or go really old school:

Roger's Rangers
Darby Field

Last edited: