What breed of dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
I want a trail hiking dog, if I have to have a dog at all. My wife (non-hiker) wants a cuddly lap dog. Is there a breed that meets the specs for both of us? Currently my daughter had a pug. Which became our family dog, but in all actuality was my daughter's. (We never had a dog until 3 years ago). My daughter moved out taking her pug with her. Now my wife misses this little pug. I actually was surprised that he can go 5-6 mile hikes with about 1500 feet of climbing. He actually amazes me how this little thing could climb some of the steep rock ledges you would never imagine such a dog could scramble up or down. I also liked the fact that he never wandered far (if at all) from my feet. I have to be careful not to trip on him. So although I can't take him on longer hikes or peakbag with him, I do like that at least he can go further than just around the block. But the pug is out - he sheds way too much and he is way out of his element in warmer weather. One more requisite: must weigh in under 20 pounds. So I am up for suggestions.

Do you want a dog that is built for winter hiking? You implied that shedding was an issue, and it must be a rather small dog - under 20 pounds.

I think Labs are ideal for hiking, but are greater than 20 lbs. My Lab, Bookah is small for a Lab and all the hiking and running keeps her under 50 lbs. Water,snow, or cold doesn't slow her a bit. Wades thru streams and then jumps up on the snowy banks in Jan-Feb, but large enough to jump over logs and up ledges.
I think you'll be able to find a smaller dog that is a good hiker, but the small size and good in winter(if looking for a 4 season companion) might be more difficult.

poodle

Believe it or not, my buddy takes his miniature poodle hiking with us every weekend. She is one tough b. She powers up hills and he can scoop her up and carry her when needed. She is about 1 foot tall and weighs maybe 10 lbs. I never thought I would hold a mini poodle in such high regard. Also, she scares the heck out of my 100 lb. black and tan coon hound - so she must be tough.

I love pugs too, they are such sweet dogs -- but I'd worry about breathing issues on hikes -- depending on the distance and temperature (if summer). I think the term is braceophalic (?) and it has to do with the way they are bred -- they can't take in as much oxygen in a breath as a dog with a more typical nose structure. .

Shelties are miniature "Lassie's", very cuddly and cute, and super smart, too. Even though they have a full coat, they retain it and don't shed like short coated breeds do. With my Australian Shepherd, Terra, I brush her once a week outside. She doesn't shed very much, and isn't allowed on furniture so that solves most of the in house stuff. Similar coat as the smaller sheltand sheepdog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Sheepdog

"If I have to have a dog at all"...you said, just wondering if this is your idea!! :) :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Labs sounds like ideal dogs. I see them all the time on the trails and they look like they're having the time of their life.

I've always wanted to get a Malamute. They LOVE the cold, and love to pull heavy loads. They were bread to be sled dogs. The only problem with them is in the summer they need to be kept inside with the AC on.

I believe there's a dog that loves to climb, the "Entlebucher Mountain Dog" I think? Part of the swiss mountain dog family. Another one to look at.

I'd love to get a dog...

No nothing about dogs as pets but a friend has some Jack Russells and they seem to make great hiking dogs and they are also small... Not sure if they would sit still on one's lap though, unless they're sleeping cause they seem to be full of energy!

Jay

Further qualifications

Shedding - much less than a pug.
Winter hiking - down to 20 degrees (& up to a foot of snow on ground). I can hike without him for peakbagging, colder, winter temps.
Summer hiking - up to 80 degrees. I can hike without him if hotter and I am not going to a lake or reliably flowing stream.
My idea - the hiking part. If I am going to have a significant part of the care and exercising of this dog, then I at least am going to get some satisfaction taking him out once a week on a 4-5 mile hike, ie. pug.

You're going to have a difficult time finding a recognized breed that meets all of your criteria.

A dog that sheds less than a Pug is going to have very little coat. Such a dog will not be able to cope well with cooler conditions without wearing coats or sweaters.

There are some breeds that are said not to shed - the Poodle and Bichon Frise come to mind that fit your size requirements. However, they are single coated (no fuzzy undercoat) and therefore also do not do well in extended cold conditions.

A terrier, if you like that kind of temperament (most are NOT what I would describe as cuddly lapdogs) might be a good choice. I've met some awesome Border Terrier trail dogs. The Norfolk and Norwich might be good too - fuzzier, but I wonder if the heavier body would be less agile.

I beg to differ with Una_dogger on the Sheltie coat. All the Shelties I've met have a coat much more typical of the Collie (rough) - thicker, longer, and coarser than the typical Aussie coat. Count on at least an hour of grooming per week to keep the coat in good form. With that said, it may be that we've met different types of Shelties. There can be some pretty big coat differences between show and working lines in at least a few breeds that I know of.

As a final caveat: please remember that the bulk of your time with this dog will not be spent hiking. As much as we all love it, most of us have jobs that require us being home a significant amount of time to support the hiking habit. It's more important to get a dog that you can live with than one you can hike with.

First thing I thought of when I saw "Pug" was the breathing issues. Labs are, I think, the best hiking dog. They are strong, generally good natured, and have the energy needed.

I have a redbone coonhound that you would think would be perfect. She's wiry, thin-coated, and loves the outdoors. However, she would rather lay in bed all day than hike, lazy bones....

One thing to keep in mind regarding a small dog, that's a helluva lotta steps if you have a 6" gate to go up and down a 4-mile trail.

Having hiked with all of four of our Labs (three still with us), I will gladly second (or third) the suggestion of Labs (or Lab mixes) as excellent for hiking. Just two qualifiers: 1) Many Labs are bred for the show ring, which favors the breeding of larger boned (i.e. heavier) dogs who are relatively shorter in stature; the "fieldy" labs used for hunting tend to be leaner and more athletic. 2) Unlike some breeds, most Labs will easily adapt to a low exercise home situation,so its important keep their activity level up so they are ready for hiking when you are.

All the best,
Chipc

Some great advice in the thread.

While this may seem unlikely to some, not all dogs walk behind you during a hike. In deeper snow, Bookah will draft behind the snowshoers.
80% of my hiking is bushwhacking and she is usually within 50', to the side or often scouting ahead and checking back to keep in close contact.
Besides their keener senses, this means your dog will spot/encounter a porcupine, coyote, or bear before you do. On lightly used trails or in 'whacks, a smaller dog might be seen as prey.

I agree that Labs might be one of the best breeds for hiking. Strong, friendly, and weatherproof, and make great car and home companions as well.

edit: Just saw the above post. My Lab is from field stock. Smaller, quicker, lighter means the ups and downs are easier on the hips and elbows and more endurance. Great point.

Last edited:
Dugan said:
As a final caveat: please remember that the bulk of your time with this dog will not be spent hiking. As much as we all love it, most of us have jobs that require us being home a significant amount of time to support the hiking habit. It's more important to get a dog that you can live with than one you can hike with.
Dittos on that statement! And all the other points made by Dugan.
70-80 degrees for dogs is HOT especially when the sun is beating down on them when they are active, running about, even playing hard in the yard. I haven't had one yet that I didn't have to watch closely for overheating in the summer. Some didn't know enough to quit.
How about a small pooch from a shelter? My mongrel was 35lbs, mix beagle and schnauzer mix???, and could run 30 miles to my hiking 10.
I had to put bells on him because he was such a lunatic out in the woods. I worried he would "get lost". It never happened and he saved me a few times when I got off trails. He did shed and loved to bark.No one's perfect. He was a great lap dog!
I agree that I think it will be difficult to find a dog that meets all your criteria.
Even at 35 lbs, my guy (Ben) walked and ran with me at least 5 miles per day. I really believe dogs needs lots of exercise, or you pay the price at home. They can develop lots of neurotic problems, not to mention destroy your home while you are at work if they don't get what they need. I often think this is why small dogs can be so hyper and obnoxious. If you had to sit or be carried wearing pompoms all day you might have anxiety issues to.
Corgies are nice dogs, short legs so you might have to help them over rocks, but I talked to someone recently who said his was a very good hiker. They do shed.
Any dog can be a lap dog. My Bernese is one and he's 120 lbs. He can never be close enough.
How about something like a mini schnauzer? I hear they can be stubborn but then again all of mine have met that criteria. Good training really helps with the problem.
You are going to have to get to know your pup well and there are no guarantees. It's like having a kid who you would love to have play pro-ball and he comes to you and says, "dad, I hate competitive games, I want to play the flute or be a writer. Leave me be and let me read".
Your little dog may hate to walk more than a mile or he might want to go 10.
You won't know until he moves in and really becomes part of your pack.
Good luck with your search. I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Last edited:
Capoken said:
Believe it or not, my buddy takes his miniature poodle hiking with us every weekend. She is one tough b. She powers up hills and he can scoop her up and carry her when needed. She is about 1 foot tall and weighs maybe 10 lbs. I never thought I would hold a mini poodle in such high regard. Also, she scares the heck out of my 100 lb. black and tan coon hound - so she must be tough.

Don't forget - Poodles were originally bred (and often still are) as hunting dogs. Minis are a long way removed from that origins, but don't let the silly hair cuts fool you.

I would try not to get too hung up on stereotypes about breeds (or combos) and do some research on breed standards. Short hair, for example, does not equal less shedding. I currently have a Keeshond (same breed you see in my avatar) and a cattle dog/corgi mix. Everyone assumes the Keeshond is the bigger shedder, but Augie the short-haired mix has him beat hands down.

Kees are probably too big for your needs, but sheltie's and American Eskimo Dogs are probably small enough. They'll need a buzz cut in the summer to stay cool (the hair does not insulate them from the heat any more than a nice down jacket would insulate you from it).

Small dogs are great hikers, too. I've seen my little guy bound through rocky passages that my friend's Viszla struggled to navigate. Do a search on this forum for a little schnauzer named "Atticus" (someone correct my spelling on that).

Given your criteria, you might want to look for a Schnauzer, Mini poodle (just get it a sane haircut), or a mix breed involving one or both. Small, sturdy, low-shedding, and cuddly.

My labs climb up into my lap all the time. I have females and keep them light about 60 lbs. IMHO they are the ideal hiking/peakbagging dog.

DrJJFate: "Perhaps it is time to approach Tom about cloning Atticus. . ." i have to agree you should PM Tom & Atticus (actually Tom, Atticus never returns PM's :D )

Not sure how some of the other breeds do in cold weather and snow. If the snow gets deeper, even if your dog leaves the trailbreaking to the humans, a smaller dog might have issues.
One thing about Labs...The insulating fur and fat keeps them warm in adverse conditions, but warmer when its hot out. I carry a couple of extra liters for her on hotter days and try and pick a trail or route that follows a stream or will have water. Probably a good practice regardless of breed.

We've owned Border Terriers for 26 years. The breed is nearly perfect for an all-weather hiking companion. Double coated, with a hard outer coat that will not hold dirt or water. It can handle any New England weather, including the subzero stuff when properly acclimated. (We owned them while living in both AK and MN. You folks south of the notches in NE don't know cold. :cool: ) You'd want a sweater along in the really harsh cold and remember to watch the feet for frostbite.

Anything you can hike up or down, the Border can do faster, unless it's an iron-runged ladder and then you can carry it under one arm. You wouldn't notice the weight of the dog food on a multiday trip, if you were ever so inclined. If the snow is too deep for it to break trail, it can follow behind you. Remember, this breed was designed to follow hunt packs and hunters on their horses all day long in Britain. You will not be able to wear it out -- I never have been. The breed ranges in weight from 12 to 20+ pounds; the lighter, smaller dogs are actually closer to the breed standard.

HOWEVER, this breed is the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde personality among the terriers. Most people who have seen but not lived with Borders are acquainted with the Dr. Jekyll side, which is fuzzy and cuddly and surprisingly sensitive for a terrier. Mr. Hyde makes his appearance in the presence of prey and in conflicts with other dogs. You cannot talk Mr. Hyde down, you'll need to remove him from the scene of the action. (I threw a battling pair into a lake twice on one occasion, then still had to hold one up off the ground to separate them.) A Border owner needs to build confidence in a young dog and exercise control simultaneously. With proper training, they're a fabulous breed for outdoor stuff -- hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, and I even used one to spot rising trout from the bow of my canoe.

Last edited:
griffin said:
sheltie's and American Eskimo Dogs are probably small enough. They'll need a buzz cut in the summer to stay cool (the hair does not insulate them from the heat any more than a nice down jacket would insulate you from it).

As an owner of several white (heavy double coat like the Eskie) dogs over the years, I must disagree with clipping an Eskie. Most white dogs do not have adequate skin pigmentation to cope with the greater exposure to the sun that a short coat would lead to.

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel just came to mind. Small and sweet tempered, not yappy. Thin double coat so there will be some shedding. Not great in the cold. I've known several who happily divided their time between jogging and lap cuddles.