Does your S.O. read or post here?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does your S.O. read or post here?

• Yes - They read and post

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Yes - They read

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 91 78.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine generally thinks I'm nutz. She got used to my riding my bike constantly, and going to races, so this isn't all that different, except new gear is required. She jokingly wonders what I'll pick up next.

She has asked, more than once, what is the demographic split and are there women that are as obsessed or is it just the men. I can tell you that on the trails and on the boards, at least where gender is obvious, it's much more evenly split than it is in the bicycle racing community, where it's more like 6 or 7 to 1.

Anyone have any stats?

Tim

I did a quick survey of the member list, sorted decreasing by posts, and with about 4 exceptions was able to pick the gender of the first four pages (100 users) and quickly came up with 7:1 male:female ratio (84:12).

Tim

The opposite end of the list appears to be similar:
I checked the first 60 members with 0 posts, found that about half had a gender-revealing username. Of those, 26 appeared male, 5 female: that's about 5:1 (with a huge margin for error, obviously).

[Non-contributors have a higher rate of gender-identifiable names than the top contributors, but the difference is about balanced by the fact that the top contributors sometimes have self-portraits for avatars, whereas the non-contributors generally don't have avatars at all.]

Last edited:
Bobby said:
My wife knows that there are many things wrong with me. She will look at pics, but doesn't really understand my attraction to the outdoors. She is very understanding when it comes to me taking off for a day to hike.

Hey Bobby- Our wives are born of the same mold.

My wife-I call it the NYC in her- is always shocked at how people who have never met each other in person can plan to meet (over the internet) and no crimes are committed (or a sting operation follows). And friendships are formed. She has a tough time getting that.

Last edited:
dentonfabrics said:
Yes, and I WISH SHE WOULDN'T!

Hi, honey.

Excellent!

No for my S.O. She definitely gets outdoors (with me), but doesn't care about the planning, locale, etc. Let me tell you about her first experience with a bear cannister in the Daks in July. . .

My spouse thinks hiking boards have their uses...getting weather and trail updates and meeting friends to hike with.
Beyond that, she's seriously impatient with all the other 'stuff' and can't see what any of us see in the virtual hiking world.

She's with Rik's wife..."you're nuts to spend so much time there".

Peakbagr said:
My spouse thinks hiking boards have their uses...getting weather and trail updates and meeting friends to hike with.
Beyond that, she's seriously impatient with all the other 'stuff' and can't see what any of us see in the virtual hiking world.

She's with Rik's wife..."you're nuts to spend so much time there".
All the S.O.'s should read this trip report! Tom is gifted writer and photographer!

Mine doesn't...at least not yet. I'm not sure if I should get him started. He certainly heard about this site enough while we were on the trail. He isn't obsessed the way I am, but he obviously hikes and is looking forward to hiking some high peaks this winter.

pocahontas said:
Lucky Me!

He reads~ he posts ~
AND...
he Hikes >>
with ME!! :)

Couldn't ask for more than that! ;)

" I want to hike every trail to every mountain!!"

She doesn't ~She Doesn't and she doesn't hike with me :(

SWMBO aka S.O. Doesn't understand the pain/rewards of hiking.
It's just all pain for her, that and she hate rocks, all rocks, round rocks, flat rocks, even rocks that look like sidewalks, and forget boulder fields thier right out. Not gon'a go there.

My dear wife does not read nor post. She only hikes on occasion and she especially loathes steep climbs and death marches, which I have taken her on one too many times. :confused:

She has met a lot of VFTTers, however, and is amazed at what an interesting, diverse and intelligent bunch of people belong to this site. :cool:

NOTE: SHE MAY BE BASING HER OBSERVATIONS ON THE BUM SHE MARRIED :rolleyes:

Marty

I don't have a current S.O. but I do have a couple of ex-S.O.'s that do read/post here. :p It's a nice way to stay connected. ;)

Interesting too is the fact that one of my exes loved my posts and the other didn't care for any of them, apparently. Never got one green square from him at all. :confused:

Gotta love these forums--they are a plethura of information and provide guidance in unimaginable ways. :)

My S.O. is so hardcore that he would never read or post here... but I'm not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing!????