Washington Via the Ammo 12/22/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
So Rols (Paul) has been planning to hit Washington in the winter for a couple of years now but has never felt the forecast was right on days it was planned. Until yesterday. So Paul, Andy and I headed to the Ammo to push for Washington. At first skiers cleared the trail so it was an easy push; then when crossing over the river the skiers went right and the trail was unpacked. Andy led the way breaking until we hit the gem pool. After a break we pushed up- Andy and Paul breaking the trail and it was tough work. Deep soft powder- at times taking 5 minutes to go 5 feet. We finally got above treeline and it was a clear blue sky- unreal. We pushed our way up to Lakes Hut and blazed our own way. Lunch at the Hut- it was like a spring day.

We headed to Washington and looked back and could see a sea of clouds hovering below the peaks of the Southern Presis. On the Summit- 25 mph winds but 20 degrees- so basically comfortable. Back to the hut for another spinglike break. Going down the steep parts of the ammo- the soft snow was hard to stand up on- so we made amazing time going down :D

Headed out to a beautiful full moon over the blue skies near Washington.

Snowshes all the way. Paul and Andy were awesome- did all the breaking. At times off trail there was 2 feet of soft snow- poles dissapeared.

A truly amazing winter day in the Whites.

Pix http://tuco.smugmug.com/gallery/4036949#235005297

Last edited:
Really nice shots, I love the atmosphere that you guys who were out captured this day. I think my favorite of the bunch is the 3rd from last, with the lone hiker heading towards a snowy lakes. Thanks for sharing your experiences through words and pics!

Really nice pictures. I was in the group that caught up to you just below the hut. We were truly blessed to be above treeline on a day like that. It was nice seeing Rols again and to have lunch with you and your group. Thanks again for breaking trail.

As we made our way up Monroe, we watched your ascent of Washington. At one point it looked like you were a group of four. Did you pick up someone along the way?

We too made a rapid descent down the Ammo. On the way down, we tried to perserve the kicked-in steps as much as we could but the snow was too unconsolidated. Like you said....it made made for a quick descent.

It was truly a wonderful day to be alive.

Merry Christmas,
Glenn

Hey Glenn- enjoyed lunch at the hut with you guys. We also saw you guys on the summit- it was an amazing view with the clouds behind you.

Somebody caught up with us- you must have seen him with us on the summit cone.

Just a lucky day to be out- we'll be talking about it for a long time.

Good luck on getting # 48!

What a great hike guys! Sorry to see that Andy took a spill. Small price to pay for such an amazing hike. Wish I was with you.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Eric.

Best regards,
Marty

It was one of those days in the mountains that we will think back to over & over again. It was a day that was as close to ideal as one can find. Our efforts were certainly rewarded. It was a great hike with great companions.

It was great running into you again Glenn. Congratulations to you in advance...one away from finishing the Winter 48. Hope to run into you again. We enjoyed sharing the experience up there at Lake of the Clouds.

Eric, I enjoyed your pictures.

Fabulous pics, Eric. I haven't done the Ammo in several years. You're enticing me to return.

Best,
Ray