Skiing the John Sherburne trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
A few us have been thinking about taking a hike up to Tucks this spring. We are going to look at the bowl, see what conditions are like, amt of people up there skiing, etc. Most likely we will not do the bowl. However, either way we plan on skiing the John Sherburne trail. I understand its well worth the opportunity to ski it even, if you don't end up skiing the bowl. I have googled it but, have come up empty. I'm looking for detailed descriptions, pics, etc. We have been practicing by going down black diamond glades and other challenging trails. We just bombed around Cannon Mt today. Very good conditions BTW. I understand the Sherburne trail is like an intermediate trail at a ski resort. Does anybody have link that would put me in the right direction to get some good info. We are trying to go up there as prepared as possible understanding mistakes can be deadly. Also anybody here ever ski bowl or the trail? How was it?

Thanks...... :eek:

Last edited:
I've skied it many times, it's a not that challenging if you can ski black diamonds at the major NE supports. It gets moguled up, but it's wide enough that it's not a difficult run. You'll be skiing it with a pack, so you might want to try skiing with a 20 lbs pack sometime to get used to it.

You can find lots of good information at Time for Tuckerman. Here are some of my trip reports

- http://www.hikethewhites.com/tucks2/index.html
- http://www.hikethewhites.com/tucks/index.html
- http://www.hikethewhites.com/gallery/v/sherb_001/

Sounds like you'll be fine. But if you have any questions, just fire away.

Sledding the Trail

I have taken a sled down the trail 3 or 4 times. I am seriously respectful of the skiers, but a few times last year I passed a few...screaming down the trail hearing laughter behind me. I just use a plastic roll-up sled. I have been really into it for about 3 years, taking it up webster/jackson and others. So, if I can sled the trail, you can ski it. There isn't a ton of traffic and everyone seems to be having fun. Just realize that the climb up is going to take a while, and it tends to be a bit boring, despite the wonderful snow we have had this year. Might not be good with skis, but I usually go up Boot Spur and come down the Boot Spur Link and start the sledding from there.

Have fun!

During the high season in spring there can be 1000 to 1500 people in the Ravine, and many of them will be coming down the Sherburne. It's best if you don't hike up the Sherby, but go up the Tuckerman Ravine trail. If you have telemark or AT gear you can skin up, but otherwise you'll have to put your skis and boots on your pack and haul them up the Tuckerman Ravine trail.

I would second the idea of practicing skiing with a pack, and agree that the Sherburne is comparable to an average intermediate trail at any major NE ski area.

happy trails :)

David Metsky said:
During the high season in spring there can be 1000 to 1500 people in the Ravine, and many of them will be coming down the Sherburne. It's best if you don't hike up the Sherby, but go up the Tuckerman Ravine trail. If you have telemark or AT gear you can skin up, but otherwise you'll have to put your skis and boots on your pack and haul them up the Tuckerman Ravine trail.

Rather than carrying skis, I would prefer to skin up but I was afraid of not sticking because of the post holed or rutted terrain on Tuckerman's trail. What do you think?

skibones said:
Rather than carrying skis, I would prefer to skin up but I was afraid of not sticking because of the post holed or rutted terrain on Tuckerman's trail. What do you think?

I've skinned up to HoJos no problem from there I had to boot pack it to the base of the bowl. And I'll echo the sentiment of the group for the Sherburne it's a great time and anyone that's considering skiing in the bowl should be able to handle it easily (just watch out for the water bars)

skibones said:
It's not a problem. Tuckerman Ravine trail is not post holed or rutted; it's a highway.

Crowds

Yea, I guess my saying that it isn't crowded is a bit optimistic ("there isn't a ton of traffic"). I suppose I have gotten lucky. I was just there about two or so weeks ago and it was fine crowd-wise. Not sure why more people weren't up there. I think the day before I hiked up, that area got over a foot of snow. It was pretty nice.

miehoff said:
I was just there about two or so weeks ago and it was fine crowd-wise. Not sure why more people weren't up there. I think the day before I hiked up, that area got over a foot of snow. It was pretty nice.
Because it's avalanche season right now. Wait until the spring freeze/thaw cycle starts turning things to corn and you'll see the crowds in the ravine. Sherby by itself is nice but not a huge draw.

BTW, I skied it a few weeks ago, and even with about a dozen rest stops it took less then 20 minutes to ski from HoJos to the parking lot. It's not a big run.

Skiguy - Nice! What can't you find on the net??

The last time I was on the Sherburne I was in a tobaggan... well, I guess it was a litter... with 6 people carrying me! :(

Snowbird22 - Read up on David's link. There are other places to go other than the bowl - Hillman's Highway, etc. Also, as Dave mentioned - you can follow the Forest Ranger's Trail/Snow conditions report(s).

snowbird22 said:
Most likely we will not do the bowl. However, either way we plan on skiing the John Sherburne trail. I understand its well worth the opportunity to ski it even, if you don't end up skiing the bowl.

If your main objective is to ski the Sherburne...NOW is the time to go. Pick a nice clear and Warm Day. Right now while the Ravine has not come in there will be less people in the Bowl therefore less people on the Sherbie and better snow. As the season progresses the Sherbie becomes more and more scrapped off and more snow melts and your chances of skiing to the road become less and less. Also go in the AM and plan to ski down no later than 1:00 to 2:00 as after that the trail is in the shade and will start to set up. There are plenty of Views of the Bowl from the Caretakers Cabin in the Base of the ravine therefore one does not have to venture into unstable terrain.

When is Bubba returning to "SKI" the ravine?

Last edited:
skiguy said:
Too funny! (I'm laughing my butt off!)

Hey - you name it... I'm game. :cool:

The best part (of the last assault) is that my daughter and her teammate had a good time and are anxious to get back and have their try in better snow conditions. Yeah... without me, though ;) They hated hiking out the Shelbune ... a bit slick and terrible footing, and the Rangers telling them to step it up!

skiguy said:
If your main objective is to ski the Sherburne...NOW is the time to go. Pick a nice clear and Warm Day. Right now while the Ravine has not come in there will be less people in the Bowl therefore less people on the Sherbie and better snow. As the season progresses the Sherbie becomes more and more scrapped off and more snow melts and your chances of skiing to the road become less and less. Also go in the AM and plan to ski down no later than 1:00 to 2:00 as after that the trail is in the shade and will start to set up. There are plenty of Views of the Bowl from the Caretakers Cabin in the Base of the ravine therefore one does not have to venture into unstable terrain.

Hey, we have been thinking the same thing. I was just over to wildcat today skiing and it looks very enticing despite the freezing RA last night.

David Metsky said:
To clarify:

Does skinning up happen on the Sherburne Trail, or on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail?

Is the Sherburne Trail restricted solely to descending skiers/boarders, or do descending riders need to be aware of ascending skinners?

Do those with skins generally prefer to skin, or hike?

Do any bring both skis AND snowshoes, and (if so) why?

Can you imagine yourself venturing into the Gulf of Slides without avy gear and an introductory course? What if the rangers post a "LOW" avalanche warning and others are already there?

--M. said:
Does skinning up happen on the Sherburne Trail, or on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail?
In general, people skin up the TRT. If you go mid-winter when there isn't much down traffic I've skinned up the Sherburne, but it's not a good choice in spring.
Is the Sherburne Trail restricted solely to descending skiers/boarders, or do descending riders need to be aware of ascending skinners?
Again, during high season you'd be fairly foolish to skin up Sherburne. While I wouldn't expect to see folks climbing there are lots of skiers and boarders and sledders that will be stopped and spread out on the Sherby. You should always be under control and take care going around blind curves.
It depends on conditions, I've done both. If there isn't enough snow to start out from Pinkham on skis I'll probably just boot it all the way to the Ravine.

If you have telemark or AT gear I can't image why you'd want snowshoes.

Can you imagine yourself venturing into the Gulf of Slides without avy gear and an introductory course? What if the rangers post a "LOW" avalanche warning and others are already there?
There is no avy posting for GoS. In spring, when things turn to corn snow, avy danger in GoS or Tuckerman is quite low. I've gone to GoS several times without avy gear, but it's always been deep into spring when things have all settled out. It's not danger free, but the danger levels are quite low.

--M. said:
Both, but I think it is preferable and safer to skin up the Tuckerman (and easier)

--M. said:
No. I've seen plenty of people (a group of 15 once) skinning up the Sherb - just be aware that it happens, and if it does just make like you're going through some human glades ;)

--M. said:
Skin... You have to carry the skis anyway... I mean, that's the point, right?

--M. said:
Haven't seen that happen, but I guess if you really hate booting up, don't have an AT or Tele setup, and the snow is deep or unconsolidated... then I could see someone heading up there with both.

--M. said:
During spring skiing season I wouldn't see much of a problem in that. I would like to think, though, that if you are already venturing past the areas that get assessed (Tux, Hunts), you would realize that avy knowledge would be good to have. If you're going mid-winter then I wouldn't head in there without the knowledge.

edit-dave takes it with the quick fingers!

Last edited: