Colorado Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This trip had been planned for quite some time. Thanks to Mellonie, and others for their input and sharing of resources.

We spent 7/2 - 7/6 at a convention in Denver. It was a good way to get used to a little higher elevation. We also hit Wynkoop Brewery, Rockbottom Brewery, and Breckenridge Brewery while in town. Not much hiking here, but we did walk everywhere we went. We could see the snow capped Rockies teasing us from afar.

Sunday we hit College Inn, a bar that serves a variety of good beers. After that we headed up to Lyons. As we drove, the mountains got closer and closer, adding to our excitement. Lyons is just about on the edge of the mountains, and the Oskar Blues Brewery's Dale's Pale Ale reminded me of the Amstel Light quote 'Sorry, we didn't know Pale Ales were supposed to suck!'. This Pale Ale had more 'kick' than most IPAs! Their IPA was to die for! :D

Moving on up, we drove thru the 'hills'. Laurie was just amazed at the canyons, peaks, water falls, and everything else. I'd been here before, so it was not the 'first time' thrill, but it still was great. We headed generally South until we came back to I-70 and then we drove to Dillon. We made the Dillon/Silverthorne Super 8 our Base camp for the next several days. For a Super 8, this place rocked! It's at 9000+ feet, has free Internet, free breakfast, and the manager allowed me to use his printer for free. Just the view outside the window was great! The Dillon Dam Brewery and Pug Ryan's brewery were more great places to wet our whistles. Speaking of drinking, everyone in Colorado really pushes water on you when you order a beer. This was very much appreciated!

Monday, 7/7, was our first big hike. We met a local guy named Robert and set out for Gray's and Torrey's Peaks. The 'road' to the trailhead (it was actually called a County highway!) was a rutted mess! :eek: If you go to Colorado, rent a high clearance vehicle! It took about 45 minutes to go 3 miles. We finally got to the trail head, (at 11,200 feet!), and started out across a large metal bridge. The stream probably has a lot more water in the spring. There were tons of flowers everywhere, from the bottom to the top. The trail was very well defined at first, with frequent water bars, and lots of rock work. But like many trails out east, the level of maintenance decreased as we got higher. Eventually, the trail looked like this. And, yes, there was newly fallen snow on the trail! The temps were about 40 when we started, and it got colder as we climbed. The fog line was always close to us, sometimes above, sometimes below. Eventually it cleared up, so we could see some other peaks.

The pace was a little slow, as we were feeling the lack of oxygen. A lot of people marched right by us. But eventually, we were at the top of Gray's Peak! Our first 14er! Woohoo! We were both tired, but Torrey's was only .7 miles away, so when Laurie said let's go, off we went. :D The col was about 600 feet deep, and as we went down, we actually met 3 guys who were going to ski down the snow slopes! :eek: Soon, we were at the top of Torrey's Peak. #2! :D

The hike back down was interesting. After traversing a snow field, it was getting hot and sunny, and we were putting sun block on. 5 minutes later, we were getting pelted by hail! It cleared up again and we walked back to the trailhead w/o incident.

The next day, we decided to take it easy, partly because it was supposed to rain, and partly because we wanted to do a fire tower. We chose Squaw Mountain, a short 600' up from the trailhead at 10,900. The entire hike was on the access road, and it alternated between rain and sunshine very rapidly, several times. At the top, the stone fire tower was waiting for us. This was waiting for MichaelJ! :eek: :D The views were pretty good, but to the North, we saw this, so we headed down as fast as we could go!

We continued on to Mt. Evans, which has the highest paved road in North America. At Summit Lake, the view was spectacular. At the summit, we saw these tiny but beautiful flowers. The views from here were great, but again, the weather was changing fast, so we beat it down the mountain. Too late! We got caught in a hail storm! As we went back down, the weather changed rapidly, and we saw a few bristle cone pines.

After the days exercise, we went to Back Country Brewery (nice sign!) and Wolf Rock Brewery in the area south of the Dillon Dam.

The next day, we set our sights on Sherman. It was a beautiful day, with no clouds in the sky for the first several hours of the morning. We drove up to 12,000' to start the hike, and off we went. We passed an old mine as we went up. About half way up, we had to cross a short snow field. As you can see, it was hot and cold at the same time! :D When we got past the snow, we could see this! It was a long slow hike, but eventually we were at the top! For a BIG video, check this out. The ridge line can be seen as we went down. Just before the bottom, I decided to check out a mine entrance.

When we were finished, we decided to go to Leadville, via Westin Pass. This was a HUGE mistake! This is the worst road on earth! Do NOT go this way! :eek: The only up side was that we saw a herd of elk and some mag pies by going this way. The goal in Leadville was Rosie's Brewpub, America's highest Brewery! :D The beer was pretty good, but not quite worth the 2 hour's drive over rough terrain! :rolleyes:

I could write a book about our trip, but I'll just sum it up briefly:

We had a great time!

Drink a LOT of water!

Be prepared for sudden changes of weather!

It was very hot and very cold in the same day. Bring appropriate clothing!

I would highly recommend a trip to Colorado to anyone on this site! :D

Tom and Laurie,

Sherman was my first 14er, the Cascade of Colorado. We climbed thru the fog and clouds to have it lift on the summit. I remember reading or being told that a football game was once held on the top of Sherman.
So many 13K and 14k peaks in CO its hard to know where to start.
I'm looking forward to my next time back.

Thanks for the great TR, photos and memories.

Alan

Tom and Laurie,

Another thanks for the memories. I remember Gray's and Torrey's well with three times up the former. Higher up, we took about 20-30 steps, then rest a few seconds, repeat. Views were endless, and in spite of good pictures, none can compare with the heady views of the real thing. Wildflowers were spectacular, and seemed so fragile, but really have strong deep root systems.

They don't call it 'rocky mountain high' for nothing! Moving east was one of the hardest moves I made!

Wow. Way cool, very interesting. I've been to Telluride, CO once, and mostly went fly fishing (~7000 feet I believe). Just doing that for 3 hours a day was tiring. I never dreamed of going higher, but at that time my username would have been simply Fish.

They have a saying out there... "We could drill a well and get down to 6288 feet, I guess" :D

Tim

Awww, you thought of me. ;)

I notice a trend in your choices of dining options, too, no wonder you needed so much extra water!

Where's Westin Pass? Is that route 4? Google doesn't seem to know. We drove through Leadville last year and were fairly uninspired ... if you return and your route can swing it, take Independence Pass instead. Awesome drive right up over the Continental Divide with amazing views.

Glad you had an awesome time!

I feel Leadville by itself is kind of an 'uninspiring' but its a great place to base camp as you acclimatize at your tentsite.
Besides a great drive, acclimatizing hikes our of Independence Pass are scenic and nice, stolling across miles of above treeline meadows strewn with wildflowers.

Great TR and pictures. Glad you had a good time. Definitly getting up in the world. :eek:

Alan, w/o acclimation, it's a lot tougher than C/P! :eek:

Matt, you are correct, that was one of the flowers that Robert knew also.

Giggy, Thanks!

Dick, that was our pace at times as well! :D

Tim, that's harsh! But funny! :D It is interesting to think that Mt. W, is well below the starting elevations.

I've now done hikes up to 1500', 1,500' to 4,000', 5,000' to 6,000', 7,800' to 10,000', 10,500' to 11,480', and 12,000' to 14,000', none of which overlapped!

MJ: Of course! :D and of course! :D

The pass starts South of Fairplay, and ends up south of Leadville. I forget the route # going up, but I think it was County Rt. 7 descending to the West.

George: Thanks!

Glad you had such a great time! I LOVE Colorado -- would love to live there someday -- maybe I can talk MJ into retirement in Colorado?? :rolleyes:

There are so many great places to explore and things to experience in Colorado - open wilderness, amazing trails and vistas, funky towns, happy healthy people, a super climate, and BEER! :D

When we went out to CO last summer, we had rented a compact car (with the gas prices being $3 a gallon, LOL!) and were somewhat peeved when we were given a honking Chevy Blazer 4x4. Boy! Did we get alot of use out of that vehicle!!! When we weren't hiking, backpacking or eating -- we tooled around the mountains on dirt roads -- just an amazing time! Although, I will admit to white knucking Independance Pass -- and I was a passenger!!!

Tom & Laurie - great stuff...I'm jealous! I get out there once a month, and have yet to find time to hike at all, too busy working and driving up to Laramie and back.

"Alan, w/o acclimation, it's a lot tougher than C/P!"

You're not kidding. I went to CO with a group of new to high elevation hikers once. The 2nd day a couple of them were pushing to climb Sherman and I reluctantly joined in. They ralphed all the way back to the T/H and everyone else had altitude headaches.
Sherman is the C/P of the 14ers for many though. On a windy, foggy day we watched people climbing it in sandals, flipflops, and some with infants a few months old.

I wish I'd settled in CO when first starting my work career and family.

Peakbagr said:
everyone else had altitude headaches.
Sherman is the C/P of the 14ers for many though. On a windy, foggy day we watched people climbing it in sandals, flipflops, and some with infants a few months old.
Laurie did have a pretty bad head ache, but many people know how tough she is! :D

There were several youngsters who made it up with no problems, as young as 6 or 7 I would say.

There was a guy in shorts and muscle shirt, and no gear at all! :eek: But he might have had a sherpa, not sure.

WW: Wow, that's too bad! :(

UD: I have the same thoughts now, and there is an IBM location out in Boulder! :D

I like the way you put those picture links in the story... that's cool.
That's amazing how the weather can change so often.
Sounds like another great adventure for you 2...beautiful stuff !

DreamFarmer said:
I like the way you put those picture links in the story... that's cool.
It's easy, just click the little 'earth with a chain link' icon and it prompts you for the text and then the picture url.

And, Thanks! :)

Thanks for the fine trip report and neat pics, Tom. Glad that you liked Dale's Pale Ale; did you get to meet Dale Katchis? I think that he really knows what he is doing when it comes to hopped up beers, but I still like those "West Coast" IPA's with Cascades hops best, which Butch at Woodstock Station in New Hampshire emulates with his Pemi Pale Ale.

I have been out here in Colorado for about 10 days now and collected rock samples from moraine boulders around Upper Chicago Lake on Mount Evans, Upper Diamond Lake, and Arapaho cirque (with special permission), and have one more trip planned to Caribou Lake across the Divide from Arapaho Pass tomorrow. We have been chased out of cirques by lightening and thunder just about every afternoon, but only got a little wet coming down from Chicago Lakes. Off to the southern Wind Rivers and its Temple Lake valley on Friday. Our working hypothesis is that the outer moraines in the cirques in the Rockies are late Pleistocene in age (greater than 11,000 years old, formed during the waning phases of the Last Ice Age), with the inner cirque moraines deposited during the 1400s-1800s AD (the Little Ice Age), which we think were formed as a presursor to the next Ice Age, only stopped by the Industrial Revolution. More on this topic later.

Alas, I will not return with any Colorado 14ers climbed this trip, although I did get up to 12,700 on the overlook of Arapaho Glacier, Colorado's largest glacier.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Thanks for the fine trip report and neat pics, Tom. Glad that you liked Dale's Pale Ale; did you get to meet Dale Katchis? I think that he really knows what he is doing when it comes to hopped up beers, but I still like those "West Coast" IPA's with Cascades hops best, which Butch at Woodstock Station in New Hampshire emulates with his Pemi Pale Ale.
We did not meet Dale. I agree with your beer tastes though! :D