5 days? Yeah right!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who has seen Farmer in action knows what he is capable of. For anyone who wants to challenge him, go for it. I wish you luck.

It's a great opportunity for this new Ryan dude to start out this weekend and prove himself and see if he can match Farmer now when all the trails are or will be broken out. Maybe he's a super athlete and should be given the benefit of the doubt......looking forward to see him in action......Farmer puts action behind his words that's one thing I know.....he's been preparing very well and he is executing very well......in other words he Shakes and he Bakes!

I told him that he should of asked the entire hiking community to not hike for three weeks or so after the recent snow storm, he was all for it..until we went to Home Depot and they didn't have enough closed signs to put at every trail head. Someone also suggested that writing "this trail is closed until a Farmer breaks it out" might be a little confusing..

I not respected the crap out of the Kinsmans today when we went there expecting to break trail but it ended up being broken out already. I didn't even enjoy the breath taking sunset that much because I felt so guilty.

Batteries in the spot died up near Moriah. He came in the door here in Gorham at 11:28pm so you can adjust it from the last spot ping. For some reason he said he is hungry.

An analogy would be comparing the effort and impressiveness of someone trying to speed hike the ADK 46 prior to the establishment of herd paths versus trying to speed hike the 46 today. Would a current-day attempt be invalid? Not in my view, but it certainly would pale in comparison to an attempt, if there was one, some 50 years ago.

I think that the above is a silly analogy. With the exception of the bushwhack down Lincoln slide to Owls Head used a few times, most of the winter NH4s milestones set the past 6-7 years have been entirely on trails, usually broken out, simply because there are so many folks hiking the wNH4s these days. There have been numerous threads on this topic. Sure, there are differences in hiking with a group, soloing with support, and soloing without support. I do not think that Farmer ever claimed that his current effort is a solo without support. But, even if someone were to try a wNH4s solo without support, the chances of finding all the trails unbroken would be nil.

Go Farmer! I cannot assist with any breaking this year, but I can help celebrate with some brewskies on Sunday night (or, early Monday morning).

RE: breaking trail. We all benefit from the hard work of others. Trailwork anyone? Good trailwork is supposed to be unnoticed by passing hikers.

I'm planning to be out on the Twinway/Bondcliff Trails tomorrow. Assuming it needs it, I'll be partly breaking out what I can of the Twinway from Zealand Mountain over Guyot and on the Bondcliff Trail to Guyot Shelter/West Bond. Exit route TBD based on conditions.

This is, of course, simply the plan.

Go Farmer!

Jefferson said, "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg” regarding the effect of other people's beliefs on his.

Last edited:
Can't believe the turn that this thread took since I left last night. Truly a sad statement that we have to turn hiking into this. I love these mountains and the many friends that I've made hiking in them the last few years. I don't know either of the Ryans, but I know Farmer by reputation. I think what he's doing is amazing. There aren't any prizes for these records (or did I perhaps see somewhere that the W48 record is worth $1,000,000?). I think the fact that he's taking everyone here along for the ride is great. I also think that the many friends that he's had breaking trail and providing support for this are a testament to his character (oh wait, are they getting a share of the $1,000,000?). Sure would be nice if we could all just go back to cheering Farmer on to a successful finish and enjoy watching the fun the next three days. Wish I could be there in the mountains now with many of the rest of you but for the moment I have to live vicariously through this. Rock on Farmer!

Can't believe the turn that this thread took since I left last night. Truly a sad statement that we have to turn hiking into this. I love these mountains and the many friends that I've made hiking in them the last few years.

Sure would be nice if we could all just go back to cheering Farmer on to a successful finish and enjoy watching the fun the next three days.

Hear, Hear!

Back on track...

Last edited:
There will always be someone who will complain that your attempt of this sort is invalid. What should we expect, that Farmer waits till there is 10' of snow, and starts then? I'm sure someone would still complain about something.

As long as you state your terms in advance, you have nothing to worry about.

Every pressie traverse and every pemi loop and every complete round will always differ in at least some small (or large) ways: wind, temps, rain, snow, (moose attack?!), so if you want to do this kind of thing, go for it, but expect some flack.

I am not sure what to think about all this online bashing....from both sides....quite sad I must say....everyone has a right to their own opinion and it is ok to respectfully disagree. There is no need to be mean. We are all good people and all love the mountains....where is the love!!!!!

Seriously....it's just hiking folks!

-MEB

I couldn't do all 48 in 5 days if they were paved.

Tim

:D Agree.

It is what it is: A very impressive attempt and physical accomplishment, regardless. Believing it's disrespectful or doesn't "count" because the trail is broken is like believing Michael Phelps' Gold Medals shouldn't have been awarded because they weren't earned in the open ocean.

Back to our scheduled program:

Cannon and Kinsmans done (some SPOT points apparently missing), and he's halfway down between Lonesome Lake and the road now (assuming that point's right)!

Moderator Note
If you have a problem with something said to you in a PM or email, please bring it to a moderator's attention off line. Posting about it is not appreciated.

Comments disagreeing with the sentiment of a thread are fine. Coming to a thread to denegrate a poster is not.

I've deleted a whole bunch of posts rather than edit them, some with good comments in them. For that I apologize. If you want to repost your comments than please feel free to do so, but perhaps starting a separate thread for it might be best. If you have any issues with my moderating on this thread, please drop me a PM. I'm open to any comments, suggestions, or blame.

-dave-

As to Ryan, looks like a change of plans and he's headed up Moosilauke via Gorge Brook? Anyone know if he's saving Franconia Ridge & Owl's Head for another day or planning to tackle it after Moosilauke?